GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,932
3 members and 1,929 guests
JayhawkAOII, KatieKate1244

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
See, while your chapter can be proud of accepting and embracing different shapes and sizes, there are many others who don't. And it's because of them that I question the need for full body shots. IMHO, it just fuels the unnecessary feeling of super exclusivity, you know?
Co-sign. And my bet is that it pre-trims the rushee registrant pool to begin with, keeping a number of women who don't feel comfortable with the process from even considering going through rush. Because the intent behind the full-body shot requirement screams out all someone needs to infer.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it great that we all are allowed our own opinions. And, aren't y'all so lucky that you didn't have to go through a competitive recruitment process wherever you went to school.

But, for girls going through rush in Texas (or another competitive system), they know the drill going into it and make the choice to participate - it is strictly voluntary. For those who decide that Greek life or the recruitment process is not to their liking, there are plenty of other opportunities to get involved on campus, especially at UT, a school of over 45,000 undergrads.

Each house has their own methods of recruitment, and I am certainly not privy to any other than my own, and neither are y'all.

As LoveinZTA says about her house, back in my day, we used the photos to try to distinguish betweeen the literally HUNDREDS of girls who were rushing. ANY distinguishing feature can be either a huge advantage or a disadvantage during the process. It is much better during membership selection to be able to say, "Remember that girl with the cute haircut and jean jacket in her picture? Well, I met her today and she is awesome." That is how we used the pictures. And, I can tell you that we had all shapes and sizes and intellects, and hair colors, and heights, etc. in my chapter - which was a top house, and one that unfortunately had to cut alot of great girls, girls that members loved and were heart broken to let go, but quota is quota and that's the way it is.

Recruitment is hard from both sides.

Last edited by srmom; 02-07-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: because run on sentences and sentence fragments are ugly
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Our local Panhellenic office asks for a picture page to be submitted with requests for recommendation letters:

3. Prepare a “ Picture Page”.
a. Select 4 good photos of you. There should be no one in the photo but you. This means no boy friends, no family, no friends.
b. Chose clear photos that look like you.
a. Chose photos that are not extreme. You are “selling yourself” with
these photos. They need to look like you will during recruitment.
b. Good choices for photos might be:
1). A good face shot. A senior portrait would be fine
2). An activity or action shot. Showing your talents or activities
3). A casual shot. One is shorts, sundress, or jeans. How you normally look.
4). One of your choice. It can be another face shot or casual shot.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Isn't it great that we all are allowed our own opinions. And, aren't y'all so lucky that you didn't have to go through a competitive recruitment process wherever you went to school.
Bless our hearts.

I hope that those girls who "know the drill" know that they may be throwing their money away if, as justinterested implied, the bid lists are made up before they can even set foot on campus.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea about the specific chapters people in this thread that poster have claimed "had members of all shapes and sizes"...

But I've seen the webpages and pictures of members at the schools that require/ask for the full length body shot... All sizes equals 0-2-4-maybe 6 and all shapes equal flat chested to C-cup. So the all shapes and sizes is somewhat of a misnomer.

It just appears that there's talking out of both sides of the mouth going on here... At least admit that yes, you judge potential members by their weight. And height... god forbid you pair up a short girl with a tall girl??? That makes no sense. What does height have to do with anything?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

Full body shots are to weed out the fat girls and in this day and age it is so weird for college women to let their mothers decide who can join their sorority, but that could just be the South.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
It just appears that there's talking out of both sides of the mouth going on here... At least admit that yes, you judge potential members by their weight. And height... god forbid you pair up a short girl with a tall girl??? That makes no sense. What does height have to do with anything?
Plus, I don't know how you judge height by a photo, unless she's standing next to Mr. Jeeters.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

kddani (and others), you're just plain wrong to say that after having looked at websites you can judge the makeup of chapters. We truly did have members of all shapes and sizes, but you can believe what you want (you will anyway-prejudice runs rampant).

Purely anecdotal, but - My big sis, who happened to be from Greenich, CT (so she wasn't southern, nor had she been "picked" before school even started), was probably a 12 or 14 and about 5' 10". She was a gregarious, out-going spitfire who must have distinguished herself during rush despite not being a size 2. I don't know how she could have possibly slipped through the cracks!! But, somehow, she didn't hurt our recruitment and we didn't hide her in the kitchen.

I think sometimes many of you people post just to start a controversy, and many times you are speaking out of ignorance and bigotry. But, that's just my opinion and yes, I'm entitled to it.

Bless your little hearts, and I mean that!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
kddani (and others), you're just plain wrong to say that after having looked at websites you can judge the makeup of chapters. We truly did have members of all shapes and sizes, but you can believe what you want (you will anyway-prejudice runs rampant).

Purely anecdotal, but - My big sis, who happened to be from Greenich, CT (so she wasn't southern, nor had she been "picked" before school even started), was probably a 12 or 14 and about 5' 10". She was a gregarious, out-going spitfire who must have distinguished herself during rush despite not being a size 2. I don't know how she could have possibly slipped through the cracks!! But, somehow, she didn't hurt our recruitment and we didn't hide her in the kitchen.

I think sometimes many of you people post just to start a controversy, and many times you are speaking out of ignorance and bigotry. But, that's just my opinion and yes, I'm entitled to it.

Bless your little hearts, and I mean that!

Sure, accuse us of ignorance and bigotry but then follow it up with a bless your heart... wow, what a perfect example of the Southern charm/venom.

And of course, you're entitled to your opinion. But our opinion makes us ignorant bigots! I sure am happy that you blessed my heart, or else I'd have to take offense.

If these chapters TRULY have members of all shapes and sizes, why aren't they depicted on the chapter webpages? It's an honest question.

Thanks for the one anecdotal example, but that's just 1 person.

And, again, what's with the height thing and the full length picture?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
The height thing

This may or may not have anything to do with what the Texas posters are saying, but it made me think of this tip...

I think it is more comfortable for the PNM if the rusher is on her same "level," i.e., both seated, both standing, etc. I've never been a fan of the sorority women kneeling at the feet of PNMs who are seated in chairs.

I remember one year when a little person came through recruitment. It made much more sense to sit down next to her than to tower over her while we were both standing.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sure, accuse us of ignorance and bigotry but then follow it up with a bless your heart... wow, what a perfect example of the Southern charm/venom.

And of course, you're entitled to your opinion. But our opinion makes us ignorant bigots! I sure am happy that you blessed my heart, or else I'd have to take offense
I used the "bless your little hearts" in response to 33's use of it above - Geez - can't you take a joke didn't you see the little smiley?

When I talk about bigotry - there is sometimes a major anti southern slant on this website, and I feel that many times, posters stir up the vitriol to (I guess) entertain themselves. The ignorance comes in play when people make broad sweeping generalizations about things they know nothing about, and state them as unassailable fact.

You ask why people don't put pictures of every member on their websites. Well, I don't know, I can't speak for them, and we didn't have websites in the 80's, and I have no personal knowledge of why or how certain chapters pick the content of the websites that they have. You would have to ask the webmaster to get an answer.

And when you talk about my southern venom - I'm originally from New Jersey, so what does that tell you?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I just perused a few of the NPC chapters' websites from UT and there really were women of different sizes and different ethnic backgrounds. I'm not sure of the socio-economic variations, because that is less obvious in a photo, but there were different physical types of women represented.

Did anyone else look at these chapter websites and see something else?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

dukedg,

Thank you for taking the time to check the websites, and I'm glad that you posted that there were different physical types of women represented. That is the case, despite what others may want to believe based upon their preconceived ideas of what the houses are all about at Texas. It certainly makes it more juicy and controversial to think that Texas recruitment is vicious and cruel. In reality, it is competitive because there are huge amounts of girls going through recruitment, all whom have great stats, activities, and values to bring to any chapter - NOT because chapters will only pledge size 2 girls...

Last edited by srmom; 02-07-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I helped out with UT rush in 98/99/00 and there were different shapes and sizes-a variety of women. I run on the trail almost everyday and see many sorority members wearing their shirts and while yes most seem"fit" (not surprising if they are running at Town Lake) they are all not a size 2 or even a 6-I do see all kinds of women. Some are even from -gasp- the top chapters.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Srmom, what type of programs do alum Panhellenics in Texas provide to assist PNMs to prepare for recruitment? I think if I had a daughter or friend participating in recruitment there, beyond just getting together the recs and the cute pix, I'd really advise a PNM to work on developing her conversation skills so she'd know what to expect, and how to really stick out in a positive way at a big "competitive" school.

Do alum PHs offer conversation skills workshops for PNMs?

Last edited by bejazd; 02-07-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo