GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,961
0 members and 1,961 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions about Junior Recruitment

Hi ladies! I've been looking around the forums since I decided to rush next Fall, and you've been helpful to a lot of the girls here... So I've decided to delurk and ask some questions of my own! Here's some background: I'm in kind of a unique situation - I used to go to a music conservatory, and am now "transferring" to Rider University, the school attached to the conservatory. Even though the campuses are completely separate and don't have much to do with each other, they consider this switching majors rather than really "transferring," so I'll have junior status next year (I'm 20, so this is normal for me). However, since I'm doing a double major in English/Philosophy, I'll most likely be there for three more years. Also, even though it was possible for me to rush when I was attending the conservatory, it wasn't exactly encouraged... Thus the reason why I waited until now to rush! Here are some questions for y'all...

I'll be living with my boyfriend (who just graduated college and has a job in NJ) in an apartment next year... Even though I'd LOVE to live in the chapter house if I got a bid, I've already made the commitment to my boyfriend. I'd only be living about five minutes from campus, and I definitely want to be involved in campus activities, but will it hurt me that I'll be living off-campus?

I know junior rushing can be kind of iffy (and really I don't know at Rider - the website says that juniors and even seniors are more than welcome to rush, but I don't know if they actually put this into practice), will it help to mention that I'll be in school for three more years rather than two because of my double major?

When is it appropriate to contact the office of Greek life? I have a few questions I'd like to ask (for instance, whether or not there's a requirement that initiates have to live in the chapter house), but I don't want to call them too early. The website has mostly outdated events, though, and the PHC chapters at Rider don't have websites, so there's really no other way for me to get information! Can I call them when the school year starts up again, or should I wait a while?

Thanks for your help ladies! PS: I know Rider is a small school, but if, by any chance anyone knows anything about its competitiveness vs. other schools, I'd love any information.

EDIT: Thanks for your help! I don't know how I missed that before... I've found the information on our website, and we do have COB in the Fall and formal recruitment in the Spring.
It seems so intimidating, though! I've been hearing that in COB, chapters really only recruit friends of current members, and because I'm a transfer, I feel like I'm out of luck there! I wonder if I should wait until the spring to rush, or if that would make my chances even worse... I know I'll have to be a big girl and expect cuts, but should I even bother to go to the COB events as a Junior transfer?

Last edited by iheartparis; 06-20-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to GC iheartparis! I am an exlurker too ; ) From finding this website : http://www.rider.edu/files/Greek_PHC_Rush_Schedule.pdf I think that your school has delayed rush (spring) and has informal rush in the fall. I say call! Good luck! I would love to hear you rush story!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
By all means call your office!! On my campus we BEG people to ask us questions and call us if they have questions and they are so shy or don't want to bother us. That is why our Greek Adviser is here, that is why we took the positions. Make a list of questions and ask away!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartparis View Post
EDIT: Thanks for your help! I don't know how I missed that before... I've found the information on our website, and we do have COB in the Fall and formal recruitment in the Spring.
It seems so intimidating, though! I've been hearing that in COB, chapters really only recruit friends of current members, and because I'm a transfer, I feel like I'm out of luck there! I wonder if I should wait until the spring to rush, or if that would make my chances even worse... I know I'll have to be a big girl and expect cuts, but should I even bother to go to the COB events as a Junior transfer?
Definitely COB in the Fall if you're able. At the very least you'll meet some new people but you'll also get a feel for how well a 2nd semester junior will do in the Spring.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
One of the members of my alumnae association is a graduate of Rider - from just over 10 years ago. She says that juniors certainly can get bids - depending of course on GPA and activities.

I'd certainly encourge you to participate in COB in the fall. If you don't find your home, you'll have met more women and be better prepared for formal recuitment in the spring.

good luck .. keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I'm sorry to keep bogging you down with them, but just out of curiosity, did your acquaintance from Rider say anything about how common it is to have recs? Also, I've been hearing that some people send in resumes - how would I go about getting one to the sororities if I find out it's common at Rider?

My GPA right now is a 3.4 (nearly a full GP above the minimum GPA, and half above all of the sororities' average GPAs), and I had a 4.0 last semester (my first semester taking classes at Rider), so I'm not really worried in that department... But I haven't done many sports since high school - my activities are mostly arts-related: dance, choir, opera singing, musical theater, yoga, etc... As for community service, in high school I co-taught choir, and in summers since then I've been volunteering at the local animal shelter. Unfortunately I haven't done much people-related community service.

Honestly I'm a bit new to the Greek thing, so even though I'd love to get involved, I feel so clueless! Thank you all so much for your support, though... I was a bit undecided at first, but you all have helped me make the decision to definitely do want to do COB in the Fall. I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I'll ask ...

It never hurts to have recs if you can get them.. but my guess is (and this is just a guess) that they probably aren't needed.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much! I went in assuming recs weren't needed, but after reading the threads on here... Well, I got a little paranoid!