GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,527
0 members and 1,527 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha chapter Suspended for 2 Years (Wisconsin-Whitewater)

According to regional media, Wisonsin - Whitewater and Lambda Chi Alpha have jointly suspended the chapter there for 2 years. Violations of alcohol policies reportedly are the cause:

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/n...70/detail.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopperLI905 Send a message via Yahoo to chopperLI905
if any one wants the real story PM me bc this is not the truth. this is my chapter and things are belown out of context.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really surprised at this.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I'm not really surprised at this.
To be honest, I'm not really surprised when ANY Wisconsin fraternity gets shut down.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopperLI905 Send a message via Yahoo to chopperLI905
I am apauled by your commints sugar and spice and GeekyPenguin. We actually partied less then most of the population of UWW. Plus it doesnt tell you about the 54000 lbs of food that collected for the local food pantery, the $2000 that we donanted for the Whiterwater Fire Department, and the $10000 that we donanted to the American Cancer Socitey.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chopperLI905
I am apauled by your commints sugar and spice and GeekyPenguin. We actually partied less then most of the population of UWW. Plus it doesnt tell you about the 54000 lbs of food that collected for the local food pantery, the $2000 that we donanted for the Whiterwater Fire Department, and the $10000 that we donanted to the American Cancer Socitey.
You forgot to mention your t-shirts that I was appalled by.

"Brotherhood tighter than your little sister"
Old 08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Plus it doesnt tell you about the 54000 lbs of food that collected for the local food pantery, the $2000 that we donanted for the Whiterwater Fire Department, and the $10000 that we donanted to the American Cancer Socitey.
Ok, I will admit that I didn't read the article. I jsut read the first post that said it was because of alcohol policy violations. If the chapter was suspended for alcohol violations, then these things shouldn't make a difference. You should not get more leniency on alcohol regulations because you raise alot of money for charity.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Ok, I will admit that I didn't read the article. I jsut read the first post that said it was because of alcohol policy violations. If the chapter was suspended for alcohol violations, then these things shouldn't make a difference. You should not get more leniency on alcohol regulations because you raise alot of money for charity.
This is correct. Violating a national policy is violating a national policy, even if you do everything else right. It's like saying you shouldn't get in trouble for speeding because you that morning you helped an old lady cross the street.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

OH NO THEY DIIN'T!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Exactly.

I am so sick of Greeks using their philanthropy work as an excuse to get away with all this other BS that they try to pull. Raising money for charity doesn't mean that you don't violate alcohol policies. Bait & switch, kids.

You can be apalled by my comments all you want. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of fraternities in Wisconsin have enough alcohol, hazing, and assorted other risk management issues that I'm never surprised when one gets shut down. That's not a comment specifically designed to insult you or your chapter, because I don't know enough about you or them to do that. I'm just speaking in generalities from what I know of the UW-W system.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
OH NO THEY DIIN'T!!!
Oh but they did! Pre-pubescent girl in lingerie holding a teddy bear.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sexy.

Oh Wisconsin fraternity men, you're such gentlemen. The epitome of class, really.

(Anybody see why I don't date frat boys? )
Old 08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Uh, and?

You do ooka billions of hours of community service and donate $$$ till kingdom come, but once you fuck something up (hi, underage drinking)...all the good stuff you do doesn't matter. Is it okay to overlook the rules against underage drinking if you guys give so much time and $$$ to charity? Yeah kid, I didn't think so.

A fraternity/sorority HQ thinks long and hard and investigates the situation thoroughly before making any kind of decision to suspend a chapter. Sounds like your HQ had enough reason (so much so that even your university agreed) to suspend y'all.

If your chapter didn't want the bad press, they shouldn't have given the press stuff to write about.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Uh, and?

You do ooka billions of hours of community service and donate $$$ till kingdom come, but once you fuck something up (hi, underage drinking)...all the good stuff you do doesn't matter. Is it okay to overlook the rules against underage drinking if you guys give so much time and $$$ to charity? Yeah kid, I didn't think so.

While the article may have ignored the good that the chapter had done, that doesn't mean that it excuses the bad that the chapter has done - it's not a case of one balancing the other... bad is bad, no matter what good the chapter has done.

Unfortunately I can think of many houses and chapters that try to rationalize their behavior in the same light - somehow convincing themselves that since the have done som many laudable things that they should be forgiven for their failings... only problem is that's not how it works in the real world.

Quote:

A fraternity/sorority HQ thinks long and hard and investigates the situation thoroughly before making any kind of decision to suspend a chapter. Sounds like your HQ had enough reason (so much so that even your university agreed) to suspend y'all.

If your chapter didn't want the bad press, they shouldn't have given the press stuff to write about.
This last part is too true unfortunately... considering the fact that the press is much more apt to report GLO (or any other group) failings than they are successes - a fact that I wish more members where aware of when thinking through some ideas... such as:

Quote:

Pre-pubescent girl in lingerie holding a teddy bear.
<shaking head>

It's stupid, moronically juvenile, jack-ass stuff like this that reinforces the negative stereotype of the "Frat Boy". I have always felt as a Brother that stuff like the aboved mentioned shirt is an indication of a chapter in serious trouble - simply because somewhere along the line common sense (and not to mention taste) was set aside in the pursuit of pleasure... which then of course leads to other "slips" or infractions against the chapter... until finally they slip one time to many.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by valkyrie
OH NO THEY DIIN'T!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Reply by Geeky Penguin}:

And where were the chapter advisor(s) and the alumni ? Or did they, too, think that somehow a shirt like that would add luster to the chpter's image?

RA cooper -- excellent observations.
Closed Thread