GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,407
2 members and 1,405 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2018, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb A PNW recruitment

Just because I was in Seattle with my niece as she went through rush, I’ll write this up as soon as I have time because I’m out of the country!

We arrived in Seattle with a nice breeze following us, my husband had been on campus with my son as he went through rush and had stayed until he was called to take DD3 to Arizona. Grandma and I were going up to see yet another of her grandchildren go through rush. Were we excited? Yes, getting out of the heat and enjoying the beauty of the PNW was on both of our lists. I’d never seen houses like they had at UDub before we got there and they were glorious! There were so many that just fit into the splendor of Washington, DD3 wanted to be with her brother, DS5, and I’d be goshdarned if they decided to stay close to home, transfer, and attend USC when Washington was so close and beautiful.

Next up: The Houses!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you have so many children going through recruitment--I love reading their stories! Looking forward to hearing your niece's story. Safe travels!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
I'm glad you have so many children going through recruitment--I love reading their stories! Looking forward to hearing your niece's story. Safe travels!
Thank you!!!
I have all the kids out of the house now and for the first time, I’m an empty nester! I thought that I’d be sick of rush but I’m thinking of becoming an advisor or a rush consultant! I never get sick of rush week!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It's one of my favorite times, too. God knew what He was doing when He gave me boys though--not sure I could have lived through a daughter's recruitment!!! Enjoy your empty nest--it makes those times when your babies visit that much sweeter.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
It's one of my favorite times, too. God knew what He was doing when He gave me boys though--not sure I could have lived through a daughter's recruitment!!! Enjoy your empty nest--it makes those times when your babies visit that much sweeter.
I’m not used to an empty nest! I may have to get golden retrievers or go back to school! Looks like it’s time to become more involved in Tri Delta!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHA!!! It does get easier, but Golden Retrievers are not a bad idea! PUPPY LOVE! I'm sure getting involved as an alumna for Tri Delta would be fun for you as well as being rewarding. I have thoroughly enjoyed all my Kappa positions, both with the local chapter, my Alumnae Association, and nationally.

Recruitment at Ole Miss starts on the 23rd (Bid Day on the 30th). My one and only rec I wrote this year is for a family friend who will be going through. My Kappa cousin's grandniece is also going through (she already had a Kappa rec through my Kappa cousin). Fingers crossed that both young ladies have a successful and happy recruitment!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

A word:
My niece is like DD4. She’s stubborn, she knows what she wants, her mother (husband’s brother’s ex-wife) was an Alpha Phi back in the day and Niece decided that it was Alpha Phi or nothing. “Okay, have fun with that one.” was Grandma’s response. I worried the entire rush week for her and waited for her to come to a miraculous conclusion. Did she? No. Did she make it work for herself? Yes.

Emerald
Seattle
Music Scene
Nirvana
Ferry
Puget Sound
Chihuly
Space Needle
Native American Art
Cherry Blossoms
Coffee
Art studios
Black eyeliner
Birkenstocks
Pumpkin Spice
Fall breeze
Pike’s Place
Starbucks

Emerald:
The first house that Niece went to. I was a huge fan of emerald because I happen to love their philanthropy, did Niece like their philanthropy? No. Did she like their physical house? No. She told Grandma and I that the house looked like it had “refurbished barnwood doors”, we didn’t know what to say to that one and so we had to go out under the cover of night to see these doors. They were not unusual doors but the house was very beautiful.

Last edited by TriDDDeltgirl; 09-19-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear grandma's commentary.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Love your stories. Who else wishes that TriDDDeltgirl had 17 kids??

On another note, I got 2 kittens when my twins left home. Two Goldens would be a good call!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, a UW recruitment story! Can't wait to hear where your niece ended up.

And I'm dying at the refurbished barn door comment.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, another story from you!!!! DD's class has a horrid cold going around -- and I caught it --but this makes me feel better.

I am laughing about the doors. Refurbished barn doors are so PNW.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoXO View Post
Yes, another story from you!!!! DD's class has a horrid cold going around -- and I caught it --but this makes me feel better.

So Joanna Gaines! Sorry. I love Fixer Upper.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoXO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
So Joanna Gaines! Sorry. I love Fixer Upper.

"I LOVED this sorority! They had so much shiplap!"

True and Constant
Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Seattle:
Seattle was a last choice for Niece. She did not like this house. She did not like that this house wasn’t fancy and that the girls didn’t make an effort to be fancy. She also didn’t like that Seattle seemed to have a list of PNMs that they already liked and treated differently.

Music Scene:
Her mother’s house. She was determined to be a Music Scene. In Niece’s own words “I’ve wanted to be a Music Scene since the day I was conceived.”, imagine her surprise when she realized that chapters of sororities differ and that she wasn’t as huge of a Music Scene fan as she thought she’d be.

Nirvana:
DD3’s sorority. DD3 is deadset on transferring to UW after winter break so she can be in a different climate and be with DS5. As a result, Niece decided that she hated Nirvana and told us that she didn’t want to make it seem like she was copying DD3. Niece also made it very clear that Nirvana was not popular on campus and wasn’t a big deal. “Okay.” Grandma replied.

Ferry:
A lovely house with a strong history. She wasted no time in telling us exactly how she felt about Ferry. She thought that Ferry would be the perfect fit for her. “They’re hot and blonde! I’d be the perfect fit!” was her response to why she liked Ferry.

Puget Sound:
The exact same impressions were made on her and so she decided that, like Ferry, Puget Sound deserved to be on her top 8 list.

Chihuly:
DD4’s house. Niece loved this house because she gets along great with DD4 and wants to be DD4. Chihuly was perfect, she loved Chihuly. She gave us every bit of information that she’d gathered and seemed to absolutely love Chihuly, would it last? Only time would tell.

Space Needle:
She hated space needle and told us so. While their philanthropy is controversial, Grandma tried to encourage Niece to just go and enjoy herself but she already had a soured view of them.

Native American Art:
Hated this house as well. She didn’t like how the Greek letters fell in line and she didn’t like how the girls seemed “bottom tier”.

Cherry Blossoms:
One of the houses in her top 8. She loved them but had no reasons to.

Coffee:
She didn’t like the house because of the Greek letters. She thought that they were ugly. Grandma rolled her eyes so hard that I thought they’d never go back to normal.

Art studios:
Another on the top 8 in case she wanted to transfer to Bama where they’re a “hot blonde” house. Did she like the girls at UW? No. But she said that she’d pretend to so she’d be welcomed at Bama.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDDDeltgirl View Post
Music Scene:
Her mother’s house. She was determined to be a Music Scene. In Niece’s own words “I’ve wanted to be a Music Scene since the day I was conceived.”, imagine her surprise when she realized that chapters of sororities differ and that she wasn’t as huge of a Music Scene fan as she thought she’d be.

Was "Music Scene" supposed to be called "Grunge Music"?

True and Constant