GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,252
1 members and 2,251 guests
indygphib

Old 06-09-2000, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up GREEK ACTIVITIES

I was wondering if all the greeks would not mind sharing with me, some of their latest Public Service Projects. I was just interested in knowing what was going on out there in the world for the good of people, by the hand of greeks. I know that at my school most of the greeks focus a lot on children and there educational development. In my small city there is a summer camp that is held every year and this year one of the sororities is trying to round up all the greeks and plan a small step show for the kids. What else is going on out there?
Old 06-10-2000, 09:39 AM
Ironic

Question

A quote from "Prettygyrl" on another post:

"No she did not say we NEED each other! I will laugh about that for days! I can not quite think what I may EVER need her for?"

{Posted under the topic "White women in black sororities"}

Based on this quote, do you want to hear only from African-American's in BGLO's, or do you want "help" from everyone?

Just wondering!!!
Old 06-10-2000, 03:31 PM
Ironic

Wink

Does this sound familiar??? It should since you posted it!

"Well........everyone is titled to their own opinion."

Then it reads on to say the following - which summed up means YOU AREN'T EVEN GREEK!!! So why are you on here wanting us to fill you in on our (Greek members) business? Maybe because you think knowing what Greeks are doing will get you into an organization? And since you say you won't ever vote for someone based on their skin color, you are implying that you don't really care what predominately white GLO's are doing. You can't say on one post that you have no interest in what white people and their GLO's are doing, then on another ask for everyone's opinion. You are the one that said you don't need us! Make up your mind!!!

"As I have stated in other post I am going to attempt my journey into greekland in the new school year. If I am honered with a selection I must say in all the years I live and serve the sorority I chose I would not EVER vote for a white girl to become a part of it."
Old 06-11-2000, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

prettygyrl, that is a good question.

Some of the stuff we did every (or nearly every) year:
  • Daffodil Days.. an event to help raise money for the American Cancer Society
  • Interfaith Hospitality.. we actually did this about every 3 months. It's an outreach to homeless people, especially if they have families. Several local churches (regardless of denomination) participate in this together. A church across the street from our campus was one of them. We would go on a Sunday afternoon and set up little 'rooms' in the church with beds and such. Then throughout the week, church members and other volunteers took the adults to look for jobs and/or places to live. We (the fraternity) helped out by going to the church and looking after the kids (the ones who weren't in school) and playing with them. Then the next week they would move on to another church. It was really a neat thing to be a part of, but sad, too.
  • There was an orphanage near our school. Every year the kids would come through our dorms and go 'trick or treating'. All (well, most) of the residents decorated their halls and stayed in to pass out candy. After the kids were done with that, they came to our chapter room and threw a Halloween party for them. It was really fun, and the kids loved it!
  • The MacDowell Colony.. this is our national philanthropy. It's actually a place in New Hampshire where artists (visual artists, musicians, writers, etc.) stay for about a year. They have their own private cabin that remains undisturbed, where they can create in solitude. Our fraternity maintains one of these cabins.. we give the $ to support its upkeep, etc. But we don't interfere in how it is used by the colony or who occupies it.

One of the coolese things we did while I was an undergrad:

A benefit concert to adopt a whale! We got other Greeks to come out and have booths (one chapter sold pop and beverages, one sold nachos or something, we made little decorations and jewelry w/ whale themes, or "Phi Beta Whale Benefit Concert '97", etc.) The show was free. We got some local bands, the campus Gospel Choir, etc. to come out and perform for us. All the money raised went to adopt the whale. Our Student Government sponsored a pizza party for the greek organization that raised the most money (so there was incentive for everyone). We ended up with more than enough to adopt a whale, so we just donated the remainder of the $$ to the foundation. This was a big event, but well worth the work and so fun to have everyone working together!!

Well, there's more, but I think you get some ideas

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-11-2000, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thats tight SilverTurtle! Yall are doing some great things. Ironic, that has nothing to do with this so take your stupid comment and post it in the correct forum! If I only wanted to HEAR from BGLOs then I would have specified that don't you think? I mean I know its obvious to you (since you obviously have been reading my posts) that I have no problem in speaking my mind so if all I wanted was to hear from the DIVINE NINE, then trust me I would have said so!
Old 06-11-2000, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Oh you are entitiled to your opinion but you were posting it in the wrong forum! It is pointless of you to have any opinions about me cause i could really careless! So try not to worry yourself about why I am interested in what they are doing. All you need to know is that I have no interest in you!
Old 06-11-2000, 11:02 PM
greek

Ironic, you hit it right on the ball! put her in her place! you've said what i have been thinking for a long time.
Old 06-12-2000, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

O.k. I'm going to go ahead and see if I can steer this conversation back to it's original vain and put MY OWN twist on it. Are their any BGLO's in the greater Los Angeles area who are involved with the NAACP here. I started volunteer work with them up at school, but now I am back at home for the summer and want to be apart again. Thanks for any help that ANYBODY can give me. (GLO's might know a little something about the NAACP in L.A. also, I'm not going to make the mistake of jumping to conclusions.)
And Greek, I'm sure Ironic doesn't need you to co-sign for him/her in his/her comments towards prettygyrl. Putting someone in their place is not what these message boards are for.
Old 06-12-2000, 01:50 AM
PSI Funk

Thumbs down

I know i'm new to the chatroom but PrettyGirl, what is your hang up with white people? Joining a greek organization means that ,you not only "believe" in the ideas the organization holds, but you "act" on those ideas. And I am quite confident that one of the many fundamental values of any organization, is that it's members exemplify those ideas through action. BGLO's "believe" and "act" on the idea of diversity. Since when has a BGLO ever turn down someone because of their skin color? If you really feel that strongly about never voting a white person into a BGLO, I hope your women enough to make that clear during an interview process with a perspective organization. I think most members would find that type of attitude very disheartening, and definately not the type of attitude BGLO's need in this time and age. Just think about. Peace
Old 06-12-2000, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Ironic & Greek- Prettygyrl asked for information about Greek Activities. If you have a problem with something she stated in another message, why don't you leave your comments in that message?? Let's stay on topic and not act like children! After all of the negative messages it is nice to have a positive one without someone ruining it.

Now on to the topic:

These are just a few events that my chapter does:

Bone Marrow Drives: One of the events we do is a bone marrow drive. We set it up with a local health organization so that volunteers can have their HLA phenotypes registered.

Voter Registration: We set up voter registration booths to get people registered. These booths are in very public areas, (for example, one was in front of a WalMart) to get people registered to vote.

We also held a Town Hall meeting on May 9th. The chapter had panelists from almost all of the NPHC organizations and representatives from nine candidates running for office. The representatives were asked questions pertaining to Zeta's seven point plan, such as Drug Abuse Prevention and Economic Development.

Tutoring: My chapter does weekly tutoring at 2 community centers during the school year. This event is in conjunction with some of the other greeks in the area.

ZetaCounts: This is a program with the Bureau of Census, where we educated people about the purpose of the census and why it was important to participate. One of the activities we did was sit in a mall and talk to passerby about it.

SilverTurtle: What kinds of events do you have for Daffodil Days?

ZetaAce
Old 06-12-2000, 01:00 PM
Ironic

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst:
And people actually wonder why Prettygyrl feels the way she does about white people...

"I wish you'd realize I have opinions, just as you have yours, and although you may not agree with what I'm saying, respect me because I'd have the guts to express myself."

Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997

I guess that I have to respect everyone else's opinion, but you cannot respect mine?
It is not right that she (or anyone) can post such negative things on other posts, yet come to this post and act like she really cares what all other greeks are doing - she makes it perfectly clear on her other posts that she has no interest in anyone who is white or their GLO. And people actually wonder why some people feel the way they do about non-white people...

Old 06-12-2000, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
If I remember correctly, our Active Chapter most recently put together Easter baskets for a local shelter, in conjunction with one of the dorms on campus.
Old 06-12-2000, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe that anyone has a problem with you disagreeing with Prettygirl. Hell she has her view, and you have yours, and I have mine, and so on. But what folks have been saying is, respond to them in the correct forum. She asked a specific question, and respond to the question in this forum, not from another.

It's like if I came to this forum and said, "well, I like to walk around the house butt naked" You would be like damn, where did that come from,and think that I was crazy or something.

So just respond to the post at hand, not from another one.

Peace and Luv

MandingoNUPE

P.S. Yes, I do like to walk around butt naked. (it's just comedy folks)
Old 06-12-2000, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

ZetaAce-

I think that "Daffodil Days" is a program actually designed by the American Cancer Society. I guess the daffodil is representative of cancer? Anyways, we sell daffodils, ordered through and provided by the society.

About 2 weeks ahead of time we take orders for bouqets, baskets, etc. of daffodils. (Most of the orders for bigger items come from profs or people who have been directly affected by cancer). Then we order small baskets and individual flowers to sell in the student center. (Usually for 1 week)

ALL of the $$ raised is returned to Society, and all proceeds/profits go to help cancer research and related funding.

It's actaually a pretty easy program, we've been doing it for years. If you would like some info on it, let me know and I'll try to get you in touch w/ the appropriate person.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-12-2000, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Hey SilverTurtle,

The Daffodil is the symbol of hope for people that are living with cancer.

Yes, Daffodil Days is an ACS National program. It's a fundraiser but I have heard that the way the fundraisers are carried out differ among the different organizations participating. I was wondering how you all did it. I've heard of organizations having Daffodil parties. Thanks for the info!!

ZetaAce