GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,340
1 members and 2,339 guests
MSKKG

Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question quick question

this is such a stupid question, but for those of you who used to read the sweet valley series...

what was the name of the sorority that jessica and elizabeth join in sweet valley university?

i was talking to my 13 year old cousin and she asked me if i'm in the same one as jessica and elizabeth but she can't remember the name....

and the 2nd part of my question would be: has any book/movie/tv show. or media in general used a real GLO name. or are they all made up?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2005, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

OK...I'm the Sweet Valley High geek here, since I'm the first to answer. The name of the sorority they were in during high school was Pi Beta Alpha. In college, I son't know if they ever really said the full name in the boooks, but I believe they were known as the Thetas. The SVU books came out after I was a bit to old to really read them (although I admit to reading one or two that I have come accross in a used bookstore for $0.50)

I used to love those books in Jr. High and I still have my collection (at least up to book 70 something) to let my daughter read when she is older. She will think they are so outdated and cheesy, I'm sure!

Last edited by FloridaTish; 12-07-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaTish
OK...I'm the Sweet Valley High geek here, since I'm the first to answer. The name of the sorority they were in during high school was Pi Beta Alpha. In college, I son't know if they ever really said the full name in the boooks, but I believe they were known as the Thetas. The SVU books came out after I was a bit to old to really read them (although I admit to reading one or two that I have come accross in a used bookstore for $0.50)
i never did understand how they were in a sorority in high school... and then in a different one for college.

i thought it was one sorority... for life.

i remember it being refered to as the thetas... to me thats kappa alpha theta... i wonder if the author did that so that she doesn't get sued?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

The name of the sorority in Sweet Valley University was Theta Alpha Theta. And Elizabeth never joined. It was only Jessica.

High school sororities don't have the same policy as college sororities. Besides, this is a teen series, so anything goes to fit the particular story line.

And FYI, this thread is more "Chit Chat" or "Entertainment", not "Social".

Last edited by smiley21; 12-07-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I loved the Sweet Valley series! I think Elizabeth ended up joining a service sorority. Not sure of the name. But yes, Jessica, Enid, and Lila all joined Theta Alpha Theta, nickname the "Thetas".
There is a play called "Vanities" that was about sisters of the KKG sorority. There is a line that goes, "KKG, KKG, KKG eternally." In the play there is ritual talked of, but I don't know if it is true or not, I am thinking no. Two of my friends were in the play a few years ago, one an ASA, one a Tri Sigma. The costumes required greek sweatshirts for one scene, but they were nice enough (knowing about respect of someone's letters) to wear a shirt that said KKG not KKr (trying to do a gamma here).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ASAlady
Jessica, Enid, and Lila all joined Theta Alpha Theta, nickname the "Thetas".
At least it wasn't Theta Iota Theta.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASAlady
(trying to do a gamma here).
ASAlady:

[font=.symbol]Text you want in Greek[./font]

Take out the periods
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde doesnt technically use the name Delta Gamma for the Sorority in the movie, but in the book they say Delta Gamma.

Wikipedia:

"While Elle is a sister of Delta Nu sorority in the film, the actual Delta Gamma is the sorority mentioned in the novel."

IMDB:

"In the novel, Elle is a member of Delta Gamma, an international sorority which is part of the Panhellenic Conference. It was changed to Delta Nu to avoid problems with the real organization"