GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,334
0 members and 2,334 guests
No Members online

Old 11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Post A question about grad school.

This question is posed to both those who are attending or have attended grad school and to those considering it.

For those of you who did/will take some time off (to work) between earning your bachelors degree and beginning grad school, how much time did you take and what effect (if any) did it have on your graduate experience (or what effect do you imagine it would have if you're still an undergrad)?

For those who have already started or finished their graduate degree, if you had to do it over again, would you have taken more time off than you did, or less?

Just curious. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

SAEalumnus~

I'm in my second year of graduate school. I recieved my BA in 2002, went to Italy for the summer to get away and then went straight back to graduate school in the fall. I am personally really glad that I didn't wait. Where I was living and where I graduated from college didn't have any opportunities. So, I moved and started graduate school and now work part-time in my feild while I am attending classes. It gives me a chance to make connections, and when I do graduate, I will be able to land a position anywhere in the city. It really opens so many doors for you, not to mention a salary increase.
I have also had many friends who went to graduate school after working a few years. The hours and the pay both got very old very quick and they didn't see themselves advancing without a higher degree. All in all, it just depends on what you are looking for and what your major is. Let me know if I can help! I have some great GRE websites and graduate school websites as well! I would be happy to answer your questions, because I wish someone was there to answer mine, I kinda went into it blindfolded! Good luck! Let me know if you need ANYTHING!
Old 11-16-2003, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to usfBROOKEusf
I actually am trying to make the same decision. I don't know if I should wait, or go straight through. I want to get my Ed.S in School Psychology, so it would take me four years. I was wondering if either of you have looked into those GRE prep courses, or taken any of them. Here in Tampa they are 217 dollars EACH. Do you think they are worth it? My program takes about 15 applicants a year, average GRE score of 1200, average undergrad GPA of 3.8. So I'm wondering if they would help me at all.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently trying to start grad school. I graduated in May 2002...so it's only been a year and half, but I'm having problems. My first problem is that the really good schools where I want to get my MBA require like 3 or more years of post-undergrad work experience. Which of course, I don't have yet. But I'm antsy and ready to begin. But it's hard to find time to study for that darn GMAT!!! Of course everyone at my office has their $0.02 about where/when I should go back to school. I'm also concerned that I'm going to get "stuck" at my workplace and not be able to start until I'm 34 and have children (which I don't want to do).

Sorry I don't have anymore advice! I would recommend going for it straight out of college.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

As someone who came into grad school straight out of college...I can say that for me, going straight in was a good idea. I remain on my parents' insurance as long as I remain a full-time student, and it's infinitely better than the student health insurance my school offers. Plus, I've known I wanted to be in architecture for about ten years now, and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I knew that I could get a job in my field based on where I went to undergrad, so employability wasn't the issue, nor was making a lot of money (undergrad and grad-level intern architects make about the same). Most of the people in my department did take time off, and many of them were able to do very interesting things that bring different perspectives to all of our work. Most of my friends who did take some time off are doing internships in their prospective fields, getting work experience without becoming overly dependent on their salaries.

On the other hand, there are some programs (like the MBA) that NEED the experience that comes with a few years' working. At one point, I was considering getting a Master's in International Urban Planning--but you know what? The best schools (and frankly, I don't care about the other ones) REQUIRE at least a year of experience, because so much of the curriculum is based on experience. This goes especially for business school--and I think it's a great idea that they recommend a few years working. Everyone I know who's gone to business school actually wishes that they had worked for a few MORE years instead of hopping straight in.

So, I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how badly you want to do it.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I am staying on with grad school right after school as well to stay on my parent's insurance..

though since i am graduating this december i am waiting to go back in the fall..

i think that this eight months will be plenty of a break and i will be ready for school again after working in an internship. i have heard both sides where some people who are in school wish that thay had waited and some who are glad that kept going.. i think it depends on the type of person..

knowing someone who went back.. they said that they found school somewhat easier bc they were use to the work mindset of working during certain hours and found it somewhat easier.. this was just this one person though..
Old 11-19-2003, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
There are pros and cons both ways. Yes, come majors require work experience to be admitted to graduate programs (an as a nurse, I firmly believe that the 1-2 years most programs require is insufficient). If your field of study doesn't mandate it, I think you're better off starting right away. You're in the student mode still (study skills/ time management) and haven't gotten yourself into the real world financial constraints such as a house and mortgage that necessitate working full-time and studying part-time. I went back for a master's 8 years after obtaining my BSN and it was rough. Simply to relearn the math for the GRE (those quadratic equations and geometry formulas are NOT things that stay with you!) was a struggle. While the classes and intellectual stimulation were great, forcing myself to do the readings was a bigger issue than when I was an undergrad. That isn't even mentioning the prejudice that faculty had against part-time students (we weren't serious enough about our studies, I was told). Financial aid and faculty support is more readily available for full-time students.

Karen
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I started grad school about 3 1/2 years after finishing undergrad. Here are some of the benefits:
*You're actually missing school in many ways so it feels good to be back in the setting where you were most comfortable for 18 years!
*Many employers will PAY for your grad school.. no loans, no more living in the poor house!
*You have money, can live on your own and not deal with dorms, roommates, etc.
*I found that professors took me more seriously because they knew I wasn't a "professional student"

In my particular major, it was a huge asset to have some work experience. I was working full time as an Occupational Therapist on adult and adolescent psych units and working on my Masters in Clinical Psychology on a part time/evenings basis. I was the ONLY one in any of my classes to have ever actually seen and talked to mentally ill patients which was a big asset in class discussions and in learning the material. One prof even said she wanted to pay me to keep coming to her classes in future semesters because I had so many real life examples of diagnoses and situations.

Dee

So how did I end up a LAN Systems Analyst? Life is strange!
Old 12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I began my Masters immediately after completing undergrad.

I'm glad I started right away because I believe that, had I waited, I would have slacked and not wanted to go back.

Don't get me wrong, it is difficult. I work full-time, so I can only take 2 classes, both in the evenings after work. Most days I'm exhausted. The course-work is less than appealing and the cost is painful... lol... but as many of my friends and Professors wisely advised... Do it now while you're in "school-mode." You know you're going to go back... might as well do it now. It will be harder later. Once you get a taste of the freedom of not having to do papers every week, it's hard to go back.

Of course, everyone is different. But I believe in continuing right after undergrad.