GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,021
2 members and 1,019 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether it's fair or not, rushing as a junior puts you at a disadvantage. The chapters with the "cool guys" are simply going to have more guys interested in them, so they are going to look for the guys who match their profile or have more years to be a part of the chapter.

Like the previous poster said, you need to cast a wider net. Go to the chapters that would be a good fit for you, not where it may not be a good match in the long run. Be prepared to articulate why you want to join as a junior without saying anything that could be a "red flag" about your sincerity or your ability to fit in. If you have friends in fraternities, go there first because they can maybe pull you in. Ask your female friends on campus which chapters they would recommend or if they could put in a good word for you. In other words, use your network.

I, too, was not athletic and delayed joining for different reasons. I then joined one of the "rebuilding" chapters on campus and had no regrets. I made some great friends and building the chapter together became one of our common bonds. Going Greek enabled me to meet many more people on campus than I would have otherwise.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Joining a "FRATERNITY" can be life changing!

Why?

You meet guys you know now and after graduation. It is called networking.

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.
What can you give them and visversa?

Hey, I only know it was uplifting for me!
Bonus! A smiley!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The biggest thing for you to do is not change who you are. If you're not their type, stop trying, and move on to a different fraternity. Even if you manage to impress them and become a brother, you're not going to have a good time since you're not being true to yourself. Also, I think this concept of "top fraternity/sorority" is kinda BS because it's just a matter of opinion and that title can change very quickly. To give you an idea, one of the lowest ranked sororities on our campus is now the second highest ranked in the course of one year. Join a fraternity that you like and are comfortable with. Even if they aren't one of the "top" fraternities YOU can be the person, and make the difference that will make it number one.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Joining a "FRATERNITY" can be life changing!

Why?

You meet guys you know now and after graduation. It is called networking.

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.
What can you give them and visversa?

Hey, I only know it was uplifting for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Bonus! A smiley!
Well, he couldn't avoid them completely, or it would appear that he's trying too hard.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The best way to impress a fraternity is to NOT try to impress them. If you go in there talking about what you've done or how much money you have, they probably won't like you. Show 'em who you are, and if they like you, they like you. There's not much else that can be done, to be honest.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?
I agree with this post

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm no expert, but here are some tips:

1.) Just be yourself, have fun with it, soak everything in
2.) Meet some of the brothers in the Fraternity & have a positive/friendly attitude
3.) It wouldn't hurt to research a little bit about the organization(s) you plan on visiting before your visit(s). See what they're all about; their beliefs, philanthropy efforts, various activities they do, etc.
4.) Going along with #3, if they ask what you did in high school, see if you can relate any of it to their philanthropy efforts and beliefs.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys. Just a little update, I didn't rush for them. I figured if I didn't like them, why would I want to be part of them even if they are considered "top" house.

I actually rushed for two fraternities and got in both. One social IFC and one professional. It's been a real eyeopening experience thus far.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
Hey guys. Just a little update, I didn't rush for them. I figured if I didn't like them, why would I want to be part of them even if they are considered "top" house.

I actually rushed for two fraternities and got in both. One social IFC and one professional. It's been a real eyeopening experience thus far.
Congratulations. Enjoy your new member period and, most important, make your grades! You don't want to miss out on initiation.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)