GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,454
3 members and 2,451 guests
Cookiez17, navane
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKTKKG View Post
These are never easy situations and it is really sad to see the dirty laundry aired. I had the New York Times article in my Sunday paper this morning, and while I am not a DZ I absolutely hate to see this kind of negative PR for any group because it is bad for the entire system as a whole.
I was just about to ask if anyone else had that article in their Sunday paper. It made our front page this morning.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2007, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
Looks do not make a sisterhood and anyone who thinks they do needs to reevaluate what sisterhood is.
Exactly!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

In The "Dallas morning News"

The DZ-DePauw mess made the "Dallas Morning News". DZ should have closed the chapter if the National Leadership did not think the chapter was going anywhere.

Last edited by g41965; 02-25-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading the entire article, (I only skimmed it the first time) it seems like the DZ HQ's only motivation was to increase membership for the chapter's 100th anniverary in 2009.

Way to increase chapter size by getting rid of 23 members! (not even including the 4 who left when DZ announced the "reorganization"... and the 6 who left after the reorg)

I would be surprised if their plan works with the way this has made headlines...

Quote:
During rush activities this month, 11 first-year students accepted invitations to join Delta Zeta, but only three have sought membership.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question: Does giving a member alumnae status prevent her from joining a chapter at another institution? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I wanted to be sure. I guess I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to transfer to another school in order to maintain status as a collegiate (if a person were so inclined and thought that the chapter would close at her original school). I'm not saying that was a possible solution in this case though.
The only membership review I have had experience with was for a fraternity on my campus, and it was the result of too many violations of the school's community standards as well as the national organization's standards.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

At least for my organization yes, if you are given alumna status, you cannot be a collegiate member again. It's the same status you're given if you transfer universities and the chapter does not vote you in as a member. But I think trying to transfer to a "stronger chapter" wouldn't look so hot.

There were so many other ways that nationals could have handled the situation, it really is sad. But I can't say that it's something I've never heard of before. I've heard story after story of 'strong' chapters at schools making their members who are bigger or not as 'attractive' stay in the kitchen or other rooms during rush so the PNMs don't see them. I think it's absolutely terrible but the concept isn't new, this just got very widely publicized because it was a struggling chapter and nationals got involved.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl View Post
Question: Does giving a member alumnae status prevent her from joining a chapter at another institution? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I wanted to be sure.
I know that in most cases, changes in membership status (collegian to alumna) cannot be reversed, but in extreme cases like this, I sure hope that HQ strongly considers allowing these members to maintain collegiate status should they choose to transfer to another school and be accepted to affiliate with another chapter.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The NY Times article was picked up this morning in the Houston Chronicle. I was astouned and rushed to GC to see the responses. So, let's recap - bearing in mind - perception is reality:
1) DZ National determined that 23 young college women were not thin enough, cute enough, tall enough, frat-boy good enough - you name it - whatever shallow, superficial criteria you want (excluding grades - never heard that) - to wear the proud DZ badge (although DZ National did take their initiation dues).
2) DZ National determined that 12 DePauw DZ sisters did "made the cut" but 23 were "kicked out". Yep - kicked out - don't soft pedal it. After you graduate you become an alum. Until then - you are kicked out. Unless the chapter was closed - these girls were kicked out! You could argue that they were even repatriated - they got $300 to move.
3) Six of the remaining twelve girls had the courage to resign their sisterhood in protest.
4) Some of the GC comments even included the tiring "let's spread the blame around" mantra - the Panhel at DePauw, the university, the fraternities, the other sororities, the rude, means rushees, blah, blah, blah. Stop it - the blame for this odious situation lies squarely with the women of DZ national.
5) The press picks up the story. Rumors, hearsay, she-said, they-said, etc. abound. The NY Times article ran a picture of the kicked-out girls. They were all beautiful to me - they looked like America and they looked like tomorrow's mothers, doctors, scientists, and rich alumni.
6) I, a middle aged, sorority alum/member (another national sorority) am outraged and send the story to five or six friends and my daughter, a current active sorority sister at a huge university. We all exchanged heated emails and by now, the story is spreading and spreading and DZ needs a good PR person. By the way - where are the other DZ chapters in all this - are they speaking up?
Now, indulge me just a bit longer:
Next year, and the year after next, and even several years from now- yes, there will be people who remember this and, all things being equal, a mom, a sister, a dad will say "I don't know, sweetie, do whatever feels right at Pref Night but remember that incident at DePauw? That DZ National .. well, remember how they treated those DePauw girls."
More than thirty years ago there were nine national sororities on my campus. Eight always made quota, were vital campus organizations and thrived. Each had about 80 sisters. There was one, however, who had a total, at best, of twelve girls. Each and every year they could not recruit more than 3 or 4 girls. Year after year - I estimate at least for 30 years their national stuck with them. I am amazed today, as I look back, at how this could be - they had a house, for goodness sakes. Finally, it happened - a few years ago National stepped in and found 30 girls who really wanted to make a go of this incredible, nationally renown sisterhood, and it worked. These girls admired and respected and doted on their dozen big sisters and today this sorority, the original eight that I knew, and even another sorority thrive on campus. A happy ending and no one was hurt.
Finally, I have shed more than a few tears as I have read the GC recruitment stories of disappointment and rejection during recruitment. Alas, I would never have thought that I'd cry after girls selected a sorority, after the happy hoopla of bid day, after they've bonded.. That poor mom who wrote of the nightmare of her girl's first semester only to be deemed not good enough.... breaks my heart.
DZ National - you should have sucked it up and done anything but this. Reorg - sure. Close the chapter- ok, it happens. But, to call 23 girls not worthy to be a sister but good enough to be a paying alum - shame on you.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta has updated their official statement on their website, www.deltazeta.org They are "saddened" by how an isolated incident has been "mischaracterized" by the press, but they stand by their actions. They are looking for a "win-win-win situation" and want to continue to work with DePauw University officials. After the letter sent by President Bottoms, I don't know how willing the University will be to work with the sorority officials.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

National Statement.

February 25, 2007

As a national fraternal organization, Delta Zeta Sorority supports the leadership,
philanthropic, and educational goals of its 207,000 collegiate and alumnae members.
Within that spirit, the Delta Zeta national organization supports world-wide alumnae and
collegiate members of all 158 college chapters and university partners in sustaining a
strong and supportive service and philanthropic organization.

The national organization stands by its open invitation to members and DePauw University
officials in supporting the former and current members of the chapter together. Delta
Zeta's national leadership will continue to seek opportunities to work in an open and fair
manner with members and DePauw University. The Delta Zeta national organization looks
forward to creating a solution that is win-win-win: one that (1) benefits and protects our
members and alumnae, (2) supports the University by maintaining a viable Chapter for the
benefit of current and future students and (3) meets the membership and business
obligations of the national organization.

The women of Delta Zeta, whether active collegiate participants or alumnae, remain
members in good standing of Delta Zeta. In addition, the isolated incident at DePauw is
simply that, an isolated incident, and has no bearing on any other chapter of Delta Zeta.

The Delta Zeta national organization is saddened that the isolated incident at DePauw has
been mischaracterized. Delta Zeta will continue its commitment, as stated in its
Constitution, to select members based on their 'moral, social and intellectual worth.'
Membership shall not be denied because of race, color, religion, national origin or
handicap, as stated in Delta Zeta's Constitution, Article III, Section 3.

DZRose
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Delta Zeta has updated their official statement on their website, www.deltazeta.org They are "saddened" by how an isolated incident has been "mischaracterized" by the press, but they stand by their actions. They are looking for a "win-win-win situation" and want to continue to work with DePauw University officials. After the letter sent by President Bottoms, I don't know how willing the University will be to work with the sorority officials.
I know this is a serious issue, but I can't help but chuckle each time I read "President Bottoms".

Anyway...from the HQ site:

Quote:
Delta Zeta will continue its commitment, as stated in its Constitution, to select members based on their 'moral, social and intellectual worth.'
I'm going to sound snarky when I say this, but perhaps "physical appearance" should be added to prevent controversy like this in the future.

MISCHARACTERIZED MY ASS. Sorry, but I don't care if HQ is saddened by how bad they're looking in the press. My sympathy lies with the Delta Chapter.

Being that this story is currently the most popular story on the NYT website, I doubt this issue will die out anytime soon.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy0128 View Post
Next year, and the year after next, and even several years from now- yes, there will be people who remember this and, all things being equal, a mom, a sister, a dad will say "I don't know, sweetie, do whatever feels right at Pref Night but remember that incident at DePauw? That DZ National .. well, remember how they treated those DePauw girls."
This had been my thought on this. Will this story have enough legs that it could hurt DZ numbers nationwide? Even if the DZ chapter at an individual campus is not having trouble with numbers would a PNM have this in the back of her mind? You want to join a group that is going to be behind you and your chapter.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I will add that a siginficant number of active and alumnae members are writing and contacting the remaining chapter members in addition to the women who were asked to take alumnae status and refused expressing their sorrow and support over what has happened to them. Even though they don't wish to continue to remain Delta Zeta's, they are still initiated sisters and deserve our support.

DZRose
Old 02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

De Pauw Situation

I also read the NYT article this morning, and my heart ached for the girls. But one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the fact that Nationals brought in girls from Indiana University to "help" with rush while some active members were asked to stay upstairs. To me that is equally appalling.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

For smaller chapters collegians from other schools are often brought in to assist with rush. When you only have 10 or 15 girls, and rush parties with 40 or 50 rushees in them, there just aren't enough initiates to go around and rush each girl in the manner they need to be rushed. Wmen from other campuses are identified as such and it is usually explained why they are there.

I do not agree with asking members to be out of sight however. I have heard of this happening with some other groups while I was in college on my campus. When we had members from another school come in and rush with us (because we were small and struggling on a large campus) all our chapter membeship rushed. And we had a couple of really big girls, we didn't care. I would have been furious if they had requested them to stay out of site.

Last edited by DZRose; 02-25-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Closed Thread