GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,358
1 members and 1,357 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

And you left off the alumnae advisers who each have THEIR own list of girls they want in. No, they're not supposed to have a vote, but I have a feeling there is some input.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
If they can only invite back say, 700, there's not a lot of invites left to go around.
They wish they could invite back 700
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a quick question, how early is too early to start sending rec letters? I have a lot of friends active in sororities at UT and they all told me to get my recs in before July, but I'm going to be rushing as a sophomore. Would it look weird or bad if the bulk of mine end up being sent in April?

I just don't want to be one of those girls who gets dropped from the system!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
I have a quick question, how early is too early to start sending rec letters? I have a lot of friends active in sororities at UT and they all told me to get my recs in before July, but I'm going to be rushing as a sophomore. Would it look weird or bad if the bulk of mine end up being sent in April?

Ask your friends.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ask your friends.
I did! And none of them could give me a definitive answer really other than "before July." Like some said "oh yeah why not the sooner the better," but most were unsure so I am confused! I mean it couldn't hurt me at least, right?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
I did! And none of them could give me a definitive answer really other than "before July." Like some said "oh yeah why not the sooner the better," but most were unsure so I am confused! I mean it couldn't hurt me at least, right?
Your rec writers don't know? They are, after all, the ones who are supposed to send them for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec writers are alumnae and family friends from other Big 12 and SEC schools and aren't very familiar with UT recruitment (other than its competitiveness). Most girls in my area that will rush actually don't go to Texas, they mainly all go to Baylor, Tech, A&M, SMU, and big SEC schools. I think that might be why none of my rec writers are really sure about UT; they just don't have much experience with it.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

You can send your rec writers the info now and tell them the deadline and really your job is done at that point anyway. AND some sororities are really looking for the recs electronically, in which case it probably doesn't matter when they arrive as long as it's not late. I think you might be thinking you have something to do with sending the recs in. You don't.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
You can send your rec writers the info now and tell them the deadline and really your job is done at that point anyway. AND some sororities are really looking for the recs electronically, in which case it probably doesn't matter when they arrive as long as it's not late. I think you might be thinking you have something to do with sending the recs in. You don't.
Thank you, that makes me feel relieved! I just worry a lot, and the lady writing one of my recs is a little disorganized! I really want to have a successful recruitment and I am just paranoid since I will be a sophomore come recruitment time.

Would it be appropriate to send a small gift (cookies/flowers) and a thank you note to my rec letter writiers after the letters are sent? Or would an email thanking them be better? I'm not sure what the etiquette on that is.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

a thank you note is enough. You don't need to go overboard; just be appreciative of the favor you are being given. Also, do send a note to each of the women afterwards telling them where you went. Even if you don't go with their sorority the women are interested to hear how it went. And frankly if you can muster up the energy, the women would love to hear how it's going AS it's going. But that's a lot to ask of you so I wouldn't sweat that too much.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis, thank you for your advice!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The "magic" date for recs at UT is June 1st.
It *used* to be that they wanted the recs in before summer orientations started because of all of the "dirty" rushing that went on. Those days are supposed to be over, and for the most part are. I would send your packets to your rec writers now and ask them to please have them in by June 1st. Most sororites will take them later, however, they get so many, it's best to get them in early. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Ladybugmom; 03-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
AThe Elephant in the Room

There is not one conversation about UT recruitment where the term “Big 6” does not come up. Full disclosure. I don’t like the term. It was created by a lady named Prudence Mackintosh who at the time was writing for Texas Monthly. She named names and called out 6 sororities at UT (it was the 1970s people) and what made them special or not so special. Each of these houses is still special today and so are the 8 others that form the University Panhellenic Council.

There have been many young PNMs who have come and gone pledging their faithfulness to only accept a bid from a “Big 6” to only be disappointed by what they got. The same can be said about the other 8 too. On the other hand, there have been girls that have been disappointed in the moment, that all of the “Big 6” released them, only to pull their head out of the sand long enough to realize that an amazing sisterhood wanted them to be part of their group and her experience was life changing. Reputation is a tricky thing. A good one can cover a flawed sisterhood and a bad one can cover a good one. Step wisely. Trust your heart.
Just to make a point. There are Big 6 houses on campus right now who are taking spring pledges. There are also some "non-big 6" houses taking pledges. There was Big 6 house last spring that took spring pledges. There were some "non-big 6" houses last spring that took spring pledges. To most experienced people in the Greek world, this would be considered a weakness in the formal recruitment class. The Big 6 is not the golden ticket of Willy Wonka fame. Girls can leave for all sorts of reasons, but girls do leave the Big 6 houses after they pledge in the fall because things are not always what they seem. Girls also leave houses across the board. I don't like rankings to begin with, but frankly, most people don't like to go into things to come in last. Ranking houses is a natural thing, but it is so skewed, it can't even be formulated. But if you are dead set on a house that has the reputation of being superior, and then you realize it is all smoke and mirrors; and you feel forced to leave that house, then in the end, you really have lost. It is so important you look past the letters and not only look at the girls in front of you, but also look at the girls beside you. On Pref night the girls standing beside you will be your new member class. If you are in love with the letters and not the girls, you are on a slippery slope.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
Just to make a point. There are Big 6 houses on campus right now who are taking spring pledges. There are also some "non-big 6" houses taking pledges. There was Big 6 house last spring that took spring pledges. There were some "non-big 6" houses last spring that took spring pledges.
Ohhhhhh you mean they weren't at total and have people pledging now to get to it. For a minute, I thought you meant they were having HS seniors pledge underground and was massively
Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

SWIMMING POOLS!!!

Lane swerve here....

I looked at some of the UT Chapter web sites. And some of the chapters have SWIMMING POOLS!!!

Holy shit...makes it sound like a resort. In my day, a few of the fraternities had them but not sororities.

And Alpha Delta Pi has kitchenettes connecting rooms in addition to a swimming pool.

Okay, I loved my college days, wouldn't change it for the world. But, I swear I would have traded my tiny closet room and sleeping porch for a pool and kitchenette ANY DAY!

THOSE SOUTHERN TEXAS BELLES HAVE IT GOOD.

Makes my days look like CAMPING...and that was just <mumbles>nearly enty years go.

...End of lane swerve...