GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,343
1 members and 1,342 guests
speedsters

Old 02-04-2002, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MisplacedGam
I got one

I went through formal rush in the spring at my school (we had a delayed rush policy). Anywho, like some others have posted here, the rushee's make their own name tags to try and make themselves stand out. A girl who lived on my hall's last name was Virgin and she put her full name on her name tag.....well at the AGD party one of the sisters said something along the lines of " ohh, your a virgin, thats a very bold statement to make on your name tag" well she informed her that Virgin was her last name......the rusher was understandibly imbarrassed, however my hall mate and I both went AGD despite the name mishap! we still tease our sister about it
Old 02-04-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!

Our Spring recruitment starts tomorrow night & I might have more funny stories to post on here. It should be interesting & fun! Yay!!!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that weird but sort of funny nonetheless. My old roommate rushed the fall of her freshman year. Her PX wasn't the greatest, didn't explain all the rules and pressured into signing her bid card. Turns out, she was a member of the group she had Beth sign with. So, Beth is not happy as a XYZ and depledges. She knows what house she wants and goes through rush a year later. She has to go to XYZ (mental note, same house that dirty rushed me that spring so neither one of us wanted to go back) that fall. Her PX is not a PX that year and ends up trying to rush her. Hello? Didn't she remember all the trouble? Beth was trying to be polite and just get through the round but the sister kept saying "Gosh, you would be such an awesome addition to our house". Guess that was a major brain fart on their part!
Old 02-05-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We have spring recruitment here at my very small school. Therefore, a lot of the women going through "know" where they are going to go. It's kind of general, and I"m sure it happens everywhere, but don't you just *love* the PNM's that wear the color of "their" sorority every event? Or when they do crafts, they do it in "their" sorority colors? Even if the girl seems like she could be a great sister, who wants a girl that tacky? Yech...
Old 03-27-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I had this friend who didn't want to rush, but her mom (who was a Tri-Delt) forced her to. I don't know what the mom was smoking. My friend would not have enjoyed a sorority at all - she's a very eccentric (in a good way), somewhat rebellious theater geek. She tried to get out of rush, but her mom wouldn't take no for an answer. So, my friend decides to use rush as acting experience. She goes through and pretends to be a typical perky, preppy PNM - and all 14 sororities fell for it! They had no clue what type of person she really was. On the third day of rush, she's in the Tri-Delt house and asks the girl rushing her, "what would you do if I just farted" hoping that this would get her cut. No such luck - Tri-Delt invited her back, along with every other house on that campus. She wound up dropping out of rush on the last day.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Acting has nothing to do with being fake.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly did you mean by that? I didn't say the sorority members (or PNMs) were fake. I don't even go to the school where this girl rushed (I met her after she transferred), so I have no idea what their greek system is like.

The fact that I'm not in a GLO does not mean I'm out to attack all Greeks everywhere.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RockChalk
I had this friend who didn't want to rush, but her mom (who was a Tri-Delt) forced her to. I don't know what the mom was smoking. My friend would not have enjoyed a sorority at all - she's a very eccentric (in a good way), somewhat rebellious theater geek. She tried to get out of rush, but her mom wouldn't take no for an answer. So, my friend decides to use rush as acting experience. She goes through and pretends to be a typical perky, preppy PNM - and all 14 sororities fell for it! They had no clue what type of person she really was. On the third day of rush, she's in the Tri-Delt house and asks the girl rushing her, "what would you do if I just farted" hoping that this would get her cut. No such luck - Tri-Delt invited her back, along with every other house on that campus. She wound up dropping out of rush on the last day.
You said it, Optimist Prime - Acting has nothing to do with being fake.

RockChalk - Greek or non-greek - I think you are talking out of your ass. I'm sorry you are so ignorant about what / who comprises Greek organizations. Someone who is eccentric "in a good way" and involved in theater is hardly an outcast in any GLO. Your friend actually sounds like she would have made a great addition to the organization in that respect. Having gone through rush myself, I encountered a lot of excited, enthusiastic young women - not the preppy fucktards you and your friend seem to think are the norm. Oh - and I don't buy that she said "what would you do if I farted right now" - she probably just said that to you to try to look "cool" or whatever There is no way someone who acted rudely and like an idiot, and asked a very tacky question would get invited back to anything. Quite frankly, it's HER loss that she didn't choose to take rush seriously and it's also yours, that you dont have a clue about what the Greek System entails.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Simmer down, y'all. I think what she meant is that this girl was not the type you'd stereotypically expect to rush; at any rate, I'm sure she didn't mean to say that sorority members are all fake and would automatically reject someone interested in theater, for example. Actually, I thought the story was pretty funny...I can see how all 14 sororities would be fooled, since each active member only gets to talk to PNMs for 15 or 30 minutes at recruitment functions. I do agree, though, that this gal should have given sororities a chance--she might have found one where she really fit in.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa, I think ya'll are being way harsh. There are people who are great people but who don't want to be what they perceive Greek to be. Maybe Rock Chalk's friend is one of those people. That doesn't mean they are right about what Greek Life is like, at least most places. But come on, I know there are schools where an arty-looking theater type with funky clothes and a few extra piercings wouldn't even be considered by a sorority.

And yes, there are people who go through rush as a joke - and get in. I have two wonderful sisters who went through rush as freshmen with two other girls just to spoof the whole process. Guess what, they didn't get cut from rush, and while their two friends did drop out, these girls changed their minds and committed to Alpha Xi Delta.

So while I can't verify any details of RockChalk's story, it's hardly as unbelievable as people seem to think it is!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Simmer down, y'all. I think what she meant is that this girl was not the type you'd stereotypically expect to rush; at any rate, I'm sure she didn't mean to say that sorority members are all fake and would automatically reject someone interested in theater, for example. Actually, I thought the story was pretty funny...I can see how all 14 sororities would be fooled, since each active member only gets to talk to PNMs for 15 or 30 minutes at recruitment functions. I do agree, though, that this gal should have given sororities a chance--she might have found one where she really fit in.
Hmmm...I disagree. First of all I don't think she needed to mention my organization name, and second, she was being totally rude and saying stupid things, so of course I am going to respond. Whatever she "meant" to say is of little interest to me - I only have what she actually wrote to base my opinion and understanding off of. If she wants to clarify herself, fine - but I'm not going to be a mind reader here.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
Whoa, I think ya'll are being way harsh. There are people who are great people but who don't want to be what they perceive Greek to be. Maybe Rock Chalk's friend is one of those people. That doesn't mean they are right about what Greek Life is like, at least most places. But come on, I know there are schools where an arty-looking theater type with funky clothes and a few extra piercings wouldn't even be considered by a sorority.

And yes, there are people who go through rush as a joke - and get in. I have two wonderful sisters who went through rush as freshmen with two other girls just to spoof the whole process. Guess what, they didn't get cut from rush, and while their two friends did drop out, these girls changed their minds and committed to Alpha Xi Delta.

So while I can't verify any details of RockChalk's story, it's hardly as unbelievable as people seem to think it is!
Well, you're of course entitled to your interpretation and opinion -

I never said that there weren't people who go through rush as a joke, - however, there is a big difference between someone going through not expecting/wanting to get in, and someone who puts on some kind of weird act and says rude things (allegedly) to the sisters who are inviting you into their houses. I don't think that's cool - either way. It's great that it worked out for you, fuzziealum, and that you have 2 great sisters now, but I don't think that they acted like asses during rush either. Either way, I don't know RockChalk from a hole in the ground - so I don't mean to make personal insults or whatever, but it really seemed like she was pulling that story out of her ass. Just my opinion!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I'm not saying this girl took the right approach. If she really didn't want to go Greek but felt her mom was making her rush, she could have just been disinterested during all the parties rather than deliberately trying to stir up their interest. It seems mean. Or she could have just not rushed at all (and lied to her mom, or not - college is supposed to be the start of independence).

All I was meaning was that the story wasn't necessarily B.S. Weirder things than that have happened in rush, as some of the stories in this thread show.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Isnt the point of this thread to share funny rush stories? I think the point was that they KNEW someone whos mom was kind of nutty and didnt really know her daughter that well...made her rush and she did. I dont think its a crack at Greeks. My mom made me join the Brownies when I was little. I did it to make her happy and I tried to pretend like I liked it - but I didnt and I ended up dropping out. Yes there is a funny story about how I quit but I wont go into that...but does that mean I hate everyone in the brownies/girl scouts? No. Just something that I look back on and laugh. I dont think we should flame the storyteller...what kind of example, as Greeks, if are we setting if we jump all over somebody for sharing a story, one that was intended to be go along with the other funny rush stories?

Last edited by volgirl2376; 03-27-2002 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation get a grip!

oh please!

the point of THIS thread is to share funny/unusual/crazy rush stories. so someone posts one and gets called names and is made to feel bad. calm down!

using curse words and making fun of someone takes away from credibility. it's not necessary to make a point.

it does sound far fetched--however, we all know that people exaggerate. it's possible. but it doesn't make an "attack" the right approach.