GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,568
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Weaponxcq
» Online Users: 2,208
0 members and 2,208 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2006, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about pursuing AI

Hello!

I found this board today and am so excited! I had been looking for ways to be involved in Greek life after college and never knew AI was an option.

I graduated from undergrad a few years ago where I was a member of a small local sorority. I am going back to graduate school soon and am thinking about pursuing membership with a group that has a strong alumae chapter in my city and opportunities to mentor/advise undergraduate students at at my university or one of the other schools nearby.

I have a few questions about AI before I initiate this process. First, what are the costs like compared to costs as an undergraduate? Secondly, is it best to start contact with the national, the alumae chapter, or a chapter president?

Thanks! Looking forward to learning more!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-01-2006, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do! When I first started my search, I emailed the international/national headquarters. I usually looked for the person in charge of alumnae relations or a person that was listed as an AI contact. It all depends on which one you want to contact.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Unless you know someone in the group, start with the Headquarters. They should put you in touch with the local alumnae chapter. You can also check out the group's website and get a feel for the chapters that are near you so you have a better idea when you talk to the headquarters staff.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Unless you know someone in the group, start with the Headquarters. They should put you in touch with the local alumnae chapter. You can also check out the group's website and get a feel for the chapters that are near you so you have a better idea when you talk to the headquarters staff.
Thanks! I know an aluma in one group I might pursue, but she is not in my geographic area. Would it be wise to talk to her first or to Headquarters and have her write me a rec later?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparismarshall
Thanks! I know an aluma in one group I might pursue, but she is not in my geographic area. Would it be wise to talk to her first or to Headquarters and have her write me a rec later?
I wouldn't worry that she's not in your geographic area. Depending on her involvement in the organization, she may know people in your area. For example, I know women all over the country due to my involvement with Gamma Phi......

BUT, don't contact her until the word "might" is out of that sentence you wrote.

Now she would be a good contact to tell you what she likes/dislikes about being an alumna in her group.....
Old 04-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

I e-mailed the local alumae chapter who then forwarded my e-mail to the district president. She got the ball rolling for me.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. Had I contacted National first, they probably would have forwarded my e-mail to the same person.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to MBurden
...glad as well

The question that I have to the group is this:

I'm 36 years old...I found the e-mail address of the contact person that I need to reach for the sorority that I am really interested in, and I know this is a silly question...but I'm concerned about the following.

1) Will she think it's strange for a woman of my age to consider a sorority through AI?

2) How common is a request to join through AI?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Banned

1. no, you're a puppy. There are people older than you who go through AI. Me, for instance.

2. I don't think anyone can really answer that. There aren't any kind of statistics. I

would imagine it's not very common... but it may seem like it on this forum because we have a whole area set aside for AI. It's more common in some sororities than others.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to MBurden
Thanks so much for setting me at ease, as it took me forever to write "the" e-mail and hit that send button.

I explained that I wanted to joing this particular one because of their Philanthropy and because I believe in today's crazy society that the traditional values, ethics, etc that sorority life supports is very critical to women in college and this will very much help them later in their careers.

I also would like to work actively with the local collegiate to help them begin their journey as well--I don't want to be a "wallflower" member or I wouldn't bother to seek membership.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Banned

Glad to help. If you have any other questions or just want to chat, feel free to PM me. I'm always happy to assist anyone beginning their AI journey. It can be a really wild and bumpy ride.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MBurden
Thanks so much for setting me at ease, as it took me forever to write "the" e-mail and hit that send button.

I explained that I wanted to joing this particular one because of their Philanthropy and because I believe in today's crazy society that the traditional values, ethics, etc that sorority life supports is very critical to women in college and this will very much help them later in their careers.

I also would like to work actively with the local collegiate to help them begin their journey as well--I don't want to be a "wallflower" member or I wouldn't bother to seek membership.
Sorority life supporting "traditional values"........that's pretty funny.

I equate that phrase with something the "right" would say and definitely not what I learned in college.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Banned

It's actually not "pretty funny." Many sororities, particularly in the south, teach traditional values and ethics. Nothing wrong with that, and perhaps something needed more of! Here's a seminar for Kappa Alpha Theta in California:

http://www.amlgroup.com/seminars.html

TriSigma even has a description about teaching these values on their web page (scroll down and read "true ladies always stand out)

http://www.sigmasigmasigma.org/pages...ians::horizons

Etiquette classes are all the rage for those men and women who hope to climb the corporate ladder. Classes are also now being taught in colleges around the nation.

Good manners never go out of style, and hopefully, don't discriminate between "the right" and the "left."

(some articles for your reference)

http://www.sn.psu.edu/Information/News/28043.htm

http://www.studentprograms.vt.edu/dining/etiquette/

http://www.ulm.edu/universityrelatio...t04/spoon.html

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...35033026&path=!business&s=1045855934855

http://www.asurampage.com/vnews/disp.../443577626ce9f
Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry but "good manners" is not the same as "traditional values".....I have plenty of one and not much of the other.

Single women in their 30's with no intention of marrying aren't usually considered "traditional".
Old 04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm... if our founders had wanted us to be "traditional", they wouldn't have even been in college to begin with. I thought sororities are for the advancement of women? Not teaching thing to hold us back?

Or maybe "traditional values" is just a buzz phrase with very negative connotations for some of us.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Maybe you are assuming what she means by "traditional." Since she mentioned "traditional ethics and values" and succeeding in a career in later life, I very much doubt she means being kept barefoot and pregnant.

What may be "traditional ethics and values" to one person could mean something completely different to another. To me, it means integrity, respect for others and yourself, and good manners. I would also venture to guess that many sorority and fraternity rituals are based around some of these types of "traditional ethics and values."