GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,017
2 members and 1,015 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
The notion of noisy jewelry always makes me giggle.
Apparently, you were never in the presence of my grandmother and her charm bracelet.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Learn something new every day! We are provided with our ritual apparel by our chapter. Everything is taken care of "in house".
Our initiation team's pink and green catsuits are provided but everyone else is on their own.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
For SAI, we were told all white. No specifications of dress/skirt/pants--it didn't matter as long as it was all white. We were told to only wear our pledge pins and no other jewelry (unless you were engaged, then you could wear the engagement ring). We were also told that shoes didn't matter, but that we had to wear all white socks (including the lack of the pink line across the toes). I just borrowed the dress my sister wore for her AGD initiation.

For Phi Sig, we were told to wear all black from head to toe. Simple enough.

For AGD, there wasn't much discussion about the dress I needed to wear because I knew I was wearing my sister's dress again. Because of my difficulties with walking, the chapter allowed me to wear white flats instead of the required heels, but the shoes did have to be all white. Again, no jewelry.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

We were provided slippers. I've never seen that at any other chapter. I sometimes wonder what happened to those ugly things when our chapter closed.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

When did we get those? I didn't have them! Just white socks. Our clothing is also provided.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Learn something new every day! We are provided with our ritual apparel by our chapter. Everything is taken care of "in house".
Yep! So much easier.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I can't get my head around the thought of women in beautiful white dresses...and then socks. I would think bare feet would be nicer (if a tad unhygenic) if you don't want to wear shoes for whatever reason.

Re the distracting jewelry, there was a member of XYZ at my campus whose VERY huge hoop earrings were her signature (we referred to her as The XYZ With The Earrings). I hope she didn't wear them for initiation or the poor pledges would have probably thought they had to jump through them before they took the oath or something.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Reading 33's post, I can't help but think that most of us can remember more than one funny Initiation story!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is no coincidence that none of my sisters have said anything on this thread.

(Off to the Halloween stores to stock up on Catwoman costumes).
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post

For AGD, there wasn't much discussion about the dress I needed to wear because I knew I was wearing my sister's dress again. Because of my difficulties with walking, the chapter allowed me to wear white flats instead of the required heels, but the shoes did have to be all white. Again, no jewelry.
This is the first I've ever heard of heels being a requirement.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
This is the first I've ever heard of heels being a requirement.
Sometimes, chapters add their own nuances, I think. For example, my initiating chapter also told the girls to wear no make-up and do very little to their hair, but upon reading the new Alpha Experience materials, I found out that initiates can wear make-up and do their hair!......Running off to look at the Alpha Experience again.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

We were told to wear white dresses and white dress shoes. We could wear any jewelry, but it should be subtle and only have pearls, emeralds, or diamonds (or CZ) for gemstones. We were also told that we could wear make up, but any nail polish should be kept nude.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter must be unusual--we (both actives and NM's) were/are told to wear black. Skirts and dresses only.

Last edited by psy; 09-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Sometimes, chapters add their own nuances, I think. For example, my initiating chapter also told the girls to wear no make-up and do very little to their hair, but upon reading the new Alpha Experience materials, I found out that initiates can wear make-up and do their hair!......Running off to look at the Alpha Experience again.
With over a hundred chapters, I can see how nuances develop.

10 years ago I attended the International Convention in Atlanta and we had an impromptu Ritual Q&A with Deedee Evans, then the Ritual Chair. She helped clear up some stuff about all things Ritual. It was a HUGE help. Many times things are done because "that's the way it's always been done." We felt a lot better going back to chapter with the correct information.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I am amazed that so many other sororities (and apparently a chapter of my own) are not allowed to wear makeup. Never occured to me that it wouldn't be allowed. Hell, I'd prefer if more members DID wear it...because that means they took some time to look nice before Initiation instead of rolling out of bed hungover...

Participants (initiates plus those with a part in the ceremony) are to wear pure all white dress and shoes, and the only jewelry that is permitted is pearl jewelry plus engagement/wedding rings if applicable. All others have the option of a top and skirt, and other minimal, simple jewelry. Specific color of underwear isn't mentioned, but it is not supposed to be showing, so I guess it is implied that it should match your skin. Hose are not required, though we do allow nude hose. Almost no one wears them and I can't recall a time where I saw someone in my chapter wear white hose. We don't police nail color.