GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,290
0 members and 2,290 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
reminds me of bunches of bananas.
When I saw this I thought of the drink 99 Bananas (which I don't drink).

Is that an IUD at the top? I don't have on my glasses. Other than that I'm impressed by the sheer size and the beautiful folds.

Black fondant tastes not that great, beware because I did order Captain Picard's uniform for my ex's last birthday (we were still together) and it was great except for that black part.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Why not red? What's the (hi)story behind no red?
(I feel you on the black, though.)
There was a time when wearing red at a wedding was advertising that you were a hootchie mama. It's an OLD tradition, and while I tend to ignore it, I think about it each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
My sister started using cherry Kool-Aid to help make icing deeper red. Tastes much better.
When I make tea sandwiches, I use powdered Jello with the cream cheese to color and flavor it. Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
So you found one of the sites I use for ADPi Birthdaygrams.

I saw something very like this (somewhere), only it had sparklers on it:

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
There was a time when wearing red at a wedding was advertising that you were a hootchie mama. It's an OLD tradition, and while I tend to ignore it, I think about it each time.
LOL, I still adhere to this! I especially HATE to see bridesmaids in red! I just think it's awful!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Calling Lucy Coe... (any old-school General Hospital fans in the house?)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
LOL, I still adhere to this! I especially HATE to see bridesmaids in red! I just think it's awful!
I wonder if non-Western cultural influences have changed that, or if it's just been people saying "screw that" to tradition.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I picked "red" but let my ladies pick their flattering shade. I'm doing a bunader wedding if I ever decide again to get married, but since my ladies aren't Norwegian I think I'll just ask them to wear their own culturally significant ensemble, or a piece of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I wonder if non-Western cultural influences have changed that, or if it's just been people saying "screw that" to tradition.
I like the intersection of background and how the US influences it (I am assuming, but not sure this is the same for Canada). White is a huge no no in a lot of Asia, and red is the best color. In my background we wear our traditional fancy dress, but the bride wears a crown. We also don't get given away, the couple walks together down the aisle, which I really like. There would be a procession to the church from the bride's home, with fiddler's and everyone would go as a big group. Since I'm grandfather and fatherless, I think I may go the give myself with my spouse route.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Calling Lucy Coe... (any old-school General Hospital fans in the house?)
HAHA...I did a flashback of that dress!

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I picked "red" but let my ladies pick their flattering shade. I'm doing a bunader wedding if I ever decide again to get married, but since my ladies aren't Norwegian I think I'll just ask them to wear their own culturally significant ensemble, or a piece of one.

I like the intersection of background and how the US influences it (I am assuming, but not sure this is the same for Canada). White is a huge no no in a lot of Asia, and red is the best color. In my background we wear our traditional fancy dress, but the bride wears a crown. We also don't get given away, the couple walks together down the aisle, which I really like. There would be a procession to the church from the bride's home, with fiddler's and everyone would go as a big group. Since I'm grandfather and fatherless, I think I may go the give myself with my spouse route.
I have friend having an American-style Catholic wedding here and then an Indian wedding in her fiance's home in India. It's been fun seeing the difference in the traditions. She apparently dresses like an old lady because her engagement sari was in pastels.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Is that an IUD at the top? I don't have on my glasses. Other than that I'm impressed by the sheer size and the beautiful folds.
LOL!!

It's a "T" for their last name
Old 06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
If I hadn't had a spring/summer wedding, my dress would have been white with a red bouquet, and my bridesmaids dresses would have been red with white bouquets. I don't see the big deal with red as a wedding color. :-)
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Add me to the list of people who don't like red as a wedding color, but it has never been one of my fave colors to begin with. I jump for joy everytime I'm in a wedding and the main color is not red.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm on that list too. I went to a wedding a few weekends ago where the colors were red and white. I thought it was a bit garish, especially for a spring wedding.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I'm on that list too. I went to a wedding a few weekends ago where the colors were red and white. I thought it was a bit garish, especially for a spring wedding.
Is this an Ohio thing? I went to alot of red/white weddings last year. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Oh, well I don't think the same thing with regards to Indian or other non-western style weddings because that is their tradition. I'm speaking strictly in terms of U.S./Western weddings. I just find it unappealling. Although I have seen western weddings where the bride wears read and enjoyed them visually, but I think it's because I'm so familiar with the Indian-style red wedding dress.

But hey, people can do whatever they want, and I feel free to comment on the pictures! LOL! I also have found that the western-style "red weddings" haven't proven to be good luck for the folks I personally know who've done it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, well I don't think the same thing with regards to Indian or other non-western style weddings because that is their tradition. I'm speaking strictly in terms of U.S./Western weddings. I just find it unappealling. Although I have seen western weddings where the bride wears read and enjoyed them visually, but I think it's because I'm so familiar with the Indian-style red wedding dress.

But hey, people can do whatever they want, and I feel free to comment on the pictures! LOL! I also have found that the western-style "red weddings" haven't proven to be good luck for the folks I personally know who've done it.
Oh I don't mean that people are necessarily having Indian-style weddings with no Indian people involved, just wondering if it's younger generations flipping tradition the bird or if it is exposure to other cultures that inspired people to break the "rules."

Also, Black/White/Red was (is?) in so it doesn't surprise me if there have been a lot of weddings themed similarly.