GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,028
0 members and 1,028 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
I learned that a lot of people think that it is very easy for a black female to "just join" an NPHC group. I was having dinner with some friends. One is in a coed literary society, and the rest just became familiar with Greek life since arriving at college. We started discussing NPHC groups, and they were like, "you mean, black females aren't guaranteed admission?". I thought it was funny indeed.
No, matter of fact I believe that it is harder in general. That's why I chose to rush for a NPC sorority over an NPHC one. Visiting the AKA board reinforced that belief.

What made you think that? Just curious.

Old 06-10-2001, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80:
And....you'll never guess what a NPC sorority girl told me once!

Me: Hi, I'm interested in rushing for a sorority.

DZ:Yeah, you should join one! I think they are some minority sororities. You ought to check into one.

What are you about? NO I am lead to believe that your anger stems from being "pigeonholed" into joining a minority organization. Is that correct? You should have enlightened this young lady that your interests might also stem to NPC sororities and not just NPHC.

As McCoyred and others have correctly stated, aligning NPC and NPHC sororities' rush/intake processes won't work on many levels. Instead there should be activities that take place, i.e. Community Service that are inter NPC & NPHC. That is the way bridges will be crossed.

At Wittenberg, there was Greek Week and sometimes the Kappas would join in as a team with the NPC/IFC orgs. True unity means working to address the needs of ALL people.

Old 06-10-2001, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And....you'll never guess what a NPC sorority girl told me once!

Me: Hi, I'm interested in rushing for a sorority.

DZ:Yeah, you should join one! I think they are some minority sororities. You ought to check into one.

well, apparently she was on the right track. didn't you say in one of your earlier posts that you recently disaffiliated from your sorority?

regardless of race, color or creed, i think we, as members of sororities, pretty much know who is going to fit well where. sometimes there are a few that surprise us, but most of the time we're pretty well on.

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 10, 2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
No, matter of fact I believe that it is harder in general. That's why I chose to rush for a NPC sorority over an NPHC one. Visiting the AKA board reinforced that belief.

What made you think that? Just curious.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Uhh...if you had actually READ my post, you would have realized that I KNOW that it is more difficult to join an NPHC organization than an NPC.

Before you reply to a post, it usually helps to READ the post.

Old 06-10-2001, 10:06 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4:

What are you about? NO I am lead to believe that your anger stems from being "pigeonholed" into joining a minority organization. Is that correct? You should have enlightened this young lady that your interests might also stem to NPC sororities and not just NPHC.

As McCoyred and others have correctly stated, aligning NPC and NPHC sororities' rush/intake processes won't work on many levels. Instead there should be activities that take place, i.e. Community Service that are inter NPC & NPHC. That is the way bridges will be crossed.

At Wittenberg, there was Greek Week and sometimes the Kappas would join in as a team with the NPC/IFC orgs. True unity means working to address the needs of ALL people.
She knew better, I was in the process in quitting ZTA (NPC), when I asked her that.

I guess she thought I wasn't happy in that sorority because it was "white" and referred me to DST and ZPB. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:09 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Uhh...if you had actually READ my post, you would have realized that I KNOW that it is more difficult to join an NPHC organization than an NPC.

Before you reply to a post, it usually helps to READ the post.
Well, excuse me! That was the way I interpreted it.

Old 06-10-2001, 10:33 PM
UMgirl

I think that this, , stems from the fact that even if the girl had not of known that she deactivated or whatever, SH80 was maybe like a freshman, the girl shouldnt have automatically assumed that just because she is balck she would want to go NHPC.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:40 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl:
I the girl shouldnt have automatically assumed that just because she is black she would want to go NHPC.
Ah, as Felix Unger so eloquently said,

"When we assume, we make an ASS out of U and ME."

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited June 10, 2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 01:35 AM
UMgirl

33girl......exactly
Old 06-11-2001, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

this is just a disclaimer....

getting into an NPHC organization IS harder than getting into NIC/NPC organizations. we dont have rules about legacies, or house quotas, or recruit members...

but that should NEVER be a reason not to pursue membership in an NPHC organization!!!! If XYZ organization is in you heart and you wholeheartedly agree with the principles of the organization, you should go for it!!! never choose another organization (or career path, or school...) JUST because you think its an "easy" way in.. THAT'S A COP OUT!
Old 06-11-2001, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

also.....

i agree with whoever said that we should have a GENERAL greek informational where students get to see ALL the greek organizations and get basic information.

but a combined "rush" would never work for 2 reasons:

1. the rules in regards to potential, new and existing membership differ between the councils - NPHC, NIC, NPC..... (ie quotas, recruitment....)

2. although the general rules in regards to membership are the same within the divine 9, all 9 of the organization have their own MIP (membership intake process), so even within our OWN council we cant all do intake together let alone with all the other greeks.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred:
AS STATED AD NAUSEUM, GLOS (NPC/IFC) AND BGLOS (NPHC) ARE FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT!!
Can I get a big "ditto" here?

SH80 -- is there anyone that you HAVEN'T tried to insult yet? Oh - let me guess - you're just trying to keep it light --

Old 06-11-2001, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

let's just clear up a few inaccuracies. first, the black women voluntarily withdrew from rush after the 1st round. secondly, she did not file any charges against the sorority or the university. the statements were made by a member of the chapter that was supposedly privy to the conversations where race was concerned. the university did not make any attempt to tell any chapter who to bid or not bid. only after a member of the chapter came forward with the claims of racial discrimination did the university get involved because to deny anyone membership soley based on race is not only wrong but illegal. the decision came out the way that it did because all of the 'evidence' was based on heresay not because of the 'white rush' and 'black rush'. our systems are separated by PROCESS not color. there are members of various racial and ethnic backgrounds in each system. but, it does much more harm than good when people come in here and make sweeping generalizations about a campus and a situation that they know nothing about. in short, please get your facts straight before you get on the net and put someone's chapter or school on blast!
Old 06-11-2001, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by dstbrat:
our systems are separated by PROCESS not color. there are members of various racial and ethnic backgrounds in each system. but, it does much more harm than good when people come in here and make sweeping generalizations about a campus and a situation that they know nothing about. in short, please get your facts straight before you get on the net and put someone's chapter or school on blast!
Wow -- this bag of "DITTO's" sure is big!!

Good job, dstbrat!
Old 06-11-2001, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Quote:
I learned that a lot of people think that it is very easy for a black female to "just join" an NPHC group. I was having dinner with some friends. One is in a coed literary society, and the rest just became familiar with Greek life since arriving at college. We started discussing NPHC groups, and they were like, "you mean, black females aren't guaranteed admission?". I thought it was funny indeed.
Hmmmmmm....strange that someone would think that being that it doesn't work that way for white women looking to join NPC sororities. Interesting.