GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,397
2 members and 1,395 guests
Titchou

Old 11-10-2016, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

any advice on appealing to Nationals

While I don't want to give away my exact situation as someone could see..I'm appealing to my sororiities National chapter my membership being revoked under careless leadership, subjective judicials, verbal bullying etc...
I (We) do not want to be re-instated in our local campus chapter as we feel they are not trustworthy and have earned a bad reputation. We would like some form of an option..inactive.. resigning.. just ANYthing that will allow us our lifetime membership and so forth. Reasons we had our membership terminated vary from obtaining a wristband at a party (that would allow someone to drink), someone writing across an arm,chest, down the leg a certain frats letters for the night,and several other minor infractions..Keep in mind there is no policy in place, no 3 strikes and you could be out, and its all on a case to case basis.
We have had other members arrested for drugs and allowed to stay in chapter. We have members on exec weekly wearing wristbands, posting inappropriate pictures, drinking under age, having physical fights that are literally given a warning or at times nothing is down..this is just the tip of the ice berg..
Nationals know nothing of the drug abuse nor mug shots....
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 AM

It depends upon your group, but some NPC sororities do not have an "inactive" or "early alum" option for collegians. You're either all in or all out. Your first step should be a call to HQ to confirm what exactly your policy is, treating it just as an informational call (not mentioning your situation) before you think about an appeal.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcangirl View Post
While I don't want to give away my exact situation as someone could see..I'm appealing to my sororiities National chapter my membership being revoked under careless leadership, subjective judicials, verbal bullying etc...
I (We) do not want to be re-instated in our local campus chapter as we feel they are not trustworthy and have earned a bad reputation. We would like some form of an option..inactive.. resigning.. just ANYthing that will allow us our lifetime membership and so forth. Reasons we had our membership terminated vary from obtaining a wristband at a party (that would allow someone to drink), someone writing across an arm,chest, down the leg a certain frats letters for the night,and several other minor infractions..Keep in mind there is no policy in place, no 3 strikes and you could be out, and its all on a case to case basis.
We have had other members arrested for drugs and allowed to stay in chapter. We have members on exec weekly wearing wristbands, posting inappropriate pictures, drinking under age, having physical fights that are literally given a warning or at times nothing is down..this is just the tip of the ice berg..
Nationals know nothing of the drug abuse nor mug shots....
Bolded the above in your statement because you then went on to list behaviors you and others engaged in which may contribute to the "bad reputation". You know?

You are a voluntary member of your organization. You agreed to abide by their policies. Discipline is internal and should be kept within the organization. Listing what others have done isn't pertinent to your situation and doesn't really help your case. I have heard those words many times: "but so-and-so did this". You don't know what so-and-so's consequences are, nor should you. You only need to be concerned with your own situation.

I also find it hard to believe that the advisors for your chapter aren't aware of the "drug abuse nor mug shots". Advisors are a lot smarter than you guys give us credit for. A LOT smarter.

As 33 said, your organization may or may not have an option for "early alum" status. In your case, considering you're already in the discipline/termination process, that door may be closed. I don't know. You may be able to resign before being terminated, and apply for reinstatement at some point down the road. Again, I don't know.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

advice

Thank you. Yes, the advisor did hear of it, but they chose not to send it in to Nationals.. Yes, I did volunteer to be apart, although not a part of an organization that changes policies as they go..that was not what we were told as we pledged;/

I admit I made a few mistakes but as I stated earlier, drug use, arrests etc, in my opinion only, is in a slightly different category than obtaining a wristband for a party...
Old 11-12-2016, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It depends upon your group, but some NPC sororities do not have an "inactive" or "early alum" option for collegians. You're either all in or all out. Your first step should be a call to HQ to confirm what exactly your policy is, treating it just as an informational call (not mentioning your situation) before you think about an appeal.
thank you, that is what I plan on doing...I am worried that it is all or none, and if that is the case Nationals reviewed what they sent in already...However, it is the judicials paperwork and nothing from myself or any letters of support pertaining to events taking place in this chapter;/