GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,269
1 members and 1,268 guests
Sarak24034

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

What a beautiful story and something you'll remember from your wedding forever! That's much better than having your own pin collection with you, I must say. I love that you had GC ADPis at your wedding. Best wishes, honeychile, for a long and happy marriage!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Honey...best wishes to you and I cannot wait to see the photos of the bouquet with the pins on it. Borrowed, blue, and sisterhood; can't top that connection!

(I wondered where you'd been, forgot about the wedding! doh!)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
This auction just ended for this Alpha Xi Delta quill:

Sold for $1,256!!!

I'd really love to know the history of this. As far as I know, Alpha Xi has never made a quill with 3 large gems in the center and lined with smaller ones up the side, so it seems like this is very custom. Plus, there's no date, which makes it even more interesting. Oh and not to mention the OPALS!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^HOLY FREAKING COW!!!

That badge is beautiful. I really love the delicate engraving on the feather of the quill.

Do you have a picture of the back? I'd be willing to bet someone could approximate a date with that.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not lovespink88, but I searched to see if there was a pic of the back, and there was, so here it is.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
^^^HOLY FREAKING COW!!!

That badge is beautiful. I really love the delicate engraving on the feather of the quill.

Do you have a picture of the back? I'd be willing to bet someone could approximate a date with that.
Hey Gusteau! figured an opal badge would bring you out again have missed you around these parts.

I am guessing that badge is early 1900s. Isn't that a C-clasp with a whale tail spinner? And the other end of the clasp - looking at it... um, don't know the exact terminology. I myself have never seen wavy feathers on a quill. And the way those opals are set... and the overall detail of that badge. Hard to believe there's no engraving.

HOLY COW indeed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It is gorgeous! I wonder if it's not a custom piece made before organizations went to one specific jeweler? Some of the older unusual badges I have seen that were custom pieces.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We know that some of AXiD's founders wore quills with opals. This may be designed off of one of those original badges. Wonderful piece! I hope an Alpha Xi took this beauty home. Sigh.

AOII

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

And now you know why I always want to see the BACK of a badge/pin!

Wondering about this one. No maker's mark, no engraving. Curiouser and curiouser. I'd love to see some of the early quills. When I was at Theta HQ I drove right past the AXiD HQ but I did not stop. It was raining.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seems like the more unusual badges tend to pop up around the holidays. Or maybe I just notice more?

I LOVE this quill. The wavy feathers make it look like this was a real quill dipped in gold. You can almost see the movement in the gold. Okay maybe I'm really losing it...

I also like the little dots on the quill point (drops of gold? tiny opals or diamonds?). And then there are the opals... Some photograph better than they appear IRL, but all the opals here look fiery and brilliant. Plus it's a very interesting take on the three stone quill available today.

I'll understand if nobody in the know answers, but are the three stones significant in some way? I had just assumed that it was an option to hit various price points, but if this one truly is early 1900s then it seems more meaningful. But again, I've proven that I'm losing it today. I'm obviously doing you all a favor by not being super active here lately!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
This auction just ended for this Alpha Xi Delta quill:

Sold for $1,256!!!

I'd really love to know the history of this. As far as I know, Alpha Xi has never made a quill with 3 large gems in the center and lined with smaller ones up the side, so it seems like this is very custom. Plus, there's no date, which makes it even more interesting. Oh and not to mention the OPALS!
*Gasp!* It's absolutely amazing! It HAS to be owned by a sister, please!!!!

As for pictures, when I have some to post, I will post them! If you're on FaceBook, there's a very short clip on my page. Other than that, nada!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Hey Gusteau! figured an opal badge would bring you out again have missed you around these parts.
Hey now! I haven't been that absent, have I?

AOII Angel's comment about the founders' badges having opals is making me have absolutely wild thoughts about this badge's historical potential...

PS to the Arizona Badge Contingent - I might be in Arizona for work in the spring, let's chat!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

AOII Angel's comment about the founders' badges having opals is making me have absolutely wild thoughts about this badge's historical potential...

PS to the Arizona Badge Contingent - I might be in Arizona for work in the spring, let's chat!
Badge Trend Convention!!!

AOII

Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone ever thought of a Field Trip to Indianapolis, to see all of the different Headquarters & their goodies? Granted, we don't see a few (like ADPi, Phi Mu, and Chi O for starters), but Indy does seem to have the motherlode of HQ's.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes, Gusteau, you have; otherwise I wouldn't have remarked on it.

Spring = if you're coming to Phoenix definitely think about Spring Training!!! Depending on when you are here, you will be in for a treat b/c we've had lots of rain, so the wildflowers are going to be spectacular. Bear in mind they do not last long at all.

Ok, back to the topic at hand:badges.