GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,146
3 members and 1,143 guests
flamboyanttree, g41965, Sarak24034

Old 11-05-2011, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleduc View Post
Personally, I think that's overpriced for that pin. It was only 1/2" tall which is small for a pin supposedly from 1880. Also, the craftsmanship of the pin in general was not that good. I have seen many "lazy" phi pins over the years, and they were all MUCH more well crafted, and jeweled!!

I am willing to bet that this pin is not an original 1880 for the owner, but one she had made much later after hers probably got lost or stolen.......

Yeah, it may be old, but its way too plain and ugly for what it sold for. It also seemed like it was made from two different types of gold, which seems odd.

Anyway, IMHO, if the HQ paid that much for this pin then they got a nice piece of history, and that's all, but if a collector bought it, they got ripped off!

lleduc
I am happy to announce that the badge was rescued (not by me) is on its way back home.

Good thing the only opinions and funds paid that matter for any badge are those of the particular GLO and its members.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes for its happy return!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlphaPhi View Post
I am happy to announce that the badge was rescued (not by me) is on its way back home.

Good thing the only opinions and funds paid that matter for any badge are those of the particular GLO and its members.

Congratulations! What a wonderful piece! The clasp and engravings are beautiful and appropriate. It is so nice to see the sisters of Alpha Phi recover such an i portent piece.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wonderful news, GTAlphaPhi , thank you for the update! The badge has meaning and significance to Alpha Phi, and as a member of another GLO, I respect and honor that.

As you all know, I prefer the simpler, less blinged out badges (although I do adore opal badges) and I found this particular example to be quite pleasing in its simplicity and design. It had an interesting clasp (always the fun part of any vintage badge), and the engraving was also something we don't see on modern badges.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Congratulations! That's very good news!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I was interested to see when doing my research about the KKG bylaws in the other thread that the KKG bylaws specifically encourages retrieval of badges.

"Members shall be urged to obtain genuine badges found in the possession of nonmembers and send the badges to the Fraternity Headquarters."

I was impressed that they had the well organised Keepers of the Keys, but to also have specific mention in their bylaws - wow.

Anyone else know if they have a similar article in their bylaws?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

^ We don't. Our Executive Office thinks that money is better spent on maintaining chapters. HOWEVER, if any alumna wants to donate a pin to EO, they are more than thrilled to receive it. They just recently received an Adelphean badge from a descendent!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
So, my initiation is tomorrow. Pics of my badge will be uploaded, as promised
Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Our AXS display case has this gorgeous diamond-encrusted badge with crest guard that belonged to a member from our chapter that became Grand Master Alchemist (AXS's equivalent of a National President).

So shiny! Not the best quality, but it's a bit tricky to shoot through a glass case.

"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy bling! That is an incredible badge! I would be willing to learn chemistry for that, haha!

When I get home for Christmas I'll try to post a picture of my sister's badge. Being the badge addict that I am I decided to buy her an upgraded badge as a Christmas gift when she signed up for recruitment. She chose a silver badge with turquoise stones, a perfect combination for a ZTA! I can't wait to see it in person!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I've dug around here trying to find a picture of the alpha phi badge with no luck, where is it? I want to see!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^do a search on that site under "Alpha Phi" - check the "completed listings" box in the left hand column. It might still be listed. Otherwise, possibly someone kept a shot of it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Wanted to post this pic I saw on a photographer's blog. The bride (an ADPi) pinned her badge and her maids badges (all ADPis) to her bouquet.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
^^^do a search on that site under "Alpha Phi" - check the "completed listings" box in the left hand column. It might still be listed. Otherwise, possibly someone kept a shot of it.
thanks! here are the pics for when it is no longer listed:

Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wanted to post this pic I saw on a photographer's blog. The bride (an ADPi) pinned her badge and her maids badges (all ADPis) to her bouquet.

You bet your bottom dollar I'll be doing this for my wedding!

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Love what the bride did!

Smile_Awhile, might I suggest that you put bubble guards on every single badge/pin that is attached to your bouquet? I wonder if there is a way to add drops of glue that can be removed, or something of the sort to firmly secure the badges to the ribbon wrap if the clasps inadvertently open - I'd hate to think of any of those gorgeous treasures falling off.