GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,284
2 members and 2,282 guests
flirt5721

Old 12-01-2003, 01:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
Questions??

I have seen that sororities have lil bros and fraternities have lil sis and sweetheart. What are the roles of these people and what do they have to do to become a lil bro or lil sis?

Also, concerning the big/lil relationship within the GLO, how do cousins and aunts play a role in the lils life? How are they chosen considering everyone is family?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2003, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Funny I should see this while I'm on the phone with my big bro.
The way we do it on my campus is if a frat guy/soro girl are close, the lil asks the big to be her big bro/his big sis. It's just someone that your really close to that has been a brother or sister longer then you *I pledged Spring '03 I could have asked anyone who was Fall '02 or higher (mine was Spring '99 ) to be my big*. I personally am closer with my big bro then I am with my big sis, besides for bring my big, he is my best friend. We treat the bigs like they were our actual bigs, by making them a paddle. The paddle is given any time, I know a lot of big's that don't have paddles from there lil's yet *one of my sisters also has my big bro as a big bro and still has yet to make him one* but more of us make the paddles and then they are showed off *mine was hot lol*

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 12-01-2003 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Are NPC's even allowed to have big bros? I thought there was that little unanimous agreement that said we couldn't do that because it put women in a position where they would be considered inferior to men and thus it is contradictory to the ideals of NPC...?? Correct me if I'm wrong, though it was probably worded poorly.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
Are NPC's even allowed to have big bros? I thought there was that little unanimous agreement that said we couldn't do that because it put women in a position where they would be considered inferior to men and thus it is contradictory to the ideals of NPC...?? Correct me if I'm wrong, though it was probably worded poorly.
This is what I thought too. I know my chapter used to do Big bros with Sigma Chi on campus back in the day....
Old 12-01-2003, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
No, we definitely aren't, many chapters have gotten in trouble for it.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

We aren't allowed to either. It also has something to do with the fact that big brother/little sister stuff jeopardizes our status as single sex organizations -- this is especially true of brother/sister organizations. I think the NPC has restricted us to allowing to have one and only one "sweetheart."
Old 12-01-2003, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
We do not have Big Brothers or anything like that...the first I'd heard of it was on this board, actually. However, my chapter does have a "sweetheart" that changes from year to year...he's called our "Lad of the Lamp." If you want to be the Lad of the Lamp, you have to win our annual Mr. UK Pageant...but hey, you get your picture on our composite, so that should be motivation enough.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i have answered this questions before so i just copied it from the last time i answered it:

"I am from the same campus as buttonz. We don't have a big brother groups . What we do is if you're close or good friends with a greek guy (just friends, no romantic inclinations), if he pledged before you you can ask him to be your big brother, if he pledged after you can ask him to be your little brother. The guy can also ask a girl to be their big or little sister. Its not an official thing or anything and if you're one sorority it doesn't mean your big brother has to be in a particular fraternity (my big is in zbt, but I have sisters wth bigs in AEPi and SAMmy) and its not like you don't chose each other. Its just something cute we do on campus."

As for jeopardizing our status as a single sex organization it isn't anything like that. My big bro/lil bro isn't a big bro/lil bro for all of my chapter, just for me. The chapter doesn't participate in selection, he doesn't hold any special status in my sorority eyes and we don't have have big brother/little brother functions. It just a cute label for a good friend of the opposite sex who is also in the Greek system.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
Thanks everyone, my other questions with about the Aunts and Cousins in the Big/Lil family, how are they chosen??

Hey, I am from Brooklyn, AEPhiSierra, you go to Brooklyn College, that's cool....