GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,369
1 members and 1,368 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
If I was a PNM I'd want everyone to shut up and either answer my questions or let me tell my story, not have orgasms over the code names I chose because OH MY GOD ONCE I OWNED A PINK HAT, I'M ROOTING FOR PINK HATS!

But that's just me.
P-I-N-K,
My hat is pink and that's okay!
Come join us and you'll wear one too!
A hat that's PINK would look great ON YOU!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I was a PNM I'd want everyone to shut up and either answer my questions or let me tell my story, not have orgasms over the code names I chose because OH MY GOD ONCE I OWNED A PINK HAT, I'M ROOTING FOR PINK HATS!

But that's just me.
NOT just you! Someone should create a Recuritment Thread Disclaimer and sticky it to the top. It could explain that GCers are not rude, they just don't want to clog up your thread! If someone REALLY feels compelled to wish, encourage, or anything else PM's ARE available! I know that I'm leary of recruitment stories, just because it takes forever to find the actual story!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Listen I like to make up little songs concerning the pm's choices of names. It keeps my life interesting. So, you "Play" GC your way and I will play mine.

Right now I am going to take my pink hat and go home.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpi*nurse
I wish there was a way to narow down a thread to just the posts by the PNM. That way you get their story and not the extra stuff.
I guess we're stuck between a rock and hard place. Maybe someone could come up with a standard post that says something like...
"All the GCers from many different GLOs who read your thread are silently wishing you luck with your recuritment process and are hoping that you find a chapter of a sorority (or fraternity, though that's rare on here) that you can call home. We will all be reading whatever updates you give us and cheering you on. Just becuase we do not respond, does not mean we are not interested in your story. Just check out the number of times your thread has been viewed and you will realize you have many, many people hoping you have a successful and exciting recruitment period."
What do you all think?
Yea, that sounds great. I don't want to be one of "THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE" that post stuff everyday on a pm's rush thread but I do want them to know that we (in GC) find their story interesting. That sounds like the way to do it, then if the pm asks a questions we can bombard them with answers. UNTIL then (besides the occasional good luck {that I can't seem to stop doing})I will just lurk and not "bother."

OK everyone is that ok with yall?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi Conniebama
Listen I like to make up little songs concerning the pm's choices of names. It keeps my life interesting. So, you "Play" GC your way and I will play mine.

Right now I am going to take my pink hat and go home.
So GC=life?

Sorry toots, you look like you need a new hobby if you depend on GC rush stories to keep your life interesting.

Me thinks you're the one everyone's poking fun at.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Me thinks there are some rude moderators on greek chat.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
And me thinks some people need to get a life and lay off rush threads.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
And me thinks some people need to get a life and lay off rush threads.

And again, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read the rush threads.

You are chosing to read them and then chosing to bitch about the people who are leaving comments on them.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-20-2005, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
And again, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read the rush threads.

You are chosing to read them and then chosing to bitch about the people who are leaving comments on them.
I chose to read rush threads...not pages of crap. Unfortunately all I get is pages of crap and very little rush thread.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I chose to read rush threads...not pages of crap. Unfortunately all I get is pages of crap and very little rush thread.
Same here. Pages of "good lucks" and "OMG, why hasn't this PNM updated yet?" Seriously, let's just start a "good luck PNMs" thread, sticky it to the top, and people can leave their encouragement there. Or there is this FABULOUS thing on Greek Chat called a private message. Use that to wish luck to PNMs.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Well ME thinks that I'm not a moderator and I feel the same way, along with a bunch of non-moderators.

Hell YEAH GC is Life fo sho ya heard?

(is this space in my post annoying? cuz that's how we feel about good luck posts.)

KLTC
Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

i really don't get why people feel the ned to incessantly beg for an update or complain b/c they haven't heard from the PNM. What part of MAYBE IT DIDN'T WORK OUT don't you understand? Maybe they're embarassed, hurt, etc. b/c their rush didn't work out. Maybe your posts begging for an update are making them feel even worse about themselves and their rush. Honestly, if I had to pick, i'd live with the good lucks over the begging for updates.

But good lucks are annoying, too Not that I necessarily think it's annoying that someone's wishing someone good luck, but most of us subscribe to a thread so we can read the rush story. PMs are a wonderful thing
Old 08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I mentioned this in the ADPi forum, but I believe that the "good lucks" and the "updates" are our way of showing the PNM that we actually do care about them.

There is actually a PNM now who thinks no one cares whether she posts or not. You know why she thinks this? Because barely anyone has said "good luck" or asked "any updates".

As much as you find it annoying, think about the PNM. Maybe they don't find it annoying. Maybe they find it encouraging that someone cares about them.

Now this is not to say that all PNM's are going to be like this, because their not.

We keep talking about how it is annoying for us to read. We haven't once thought about the PNM's.

Maybe instead of complaining about it we should be asking the PNM's "do you find this annoying?"

There are plenty of girls who started rush threads last fall and this past spring who joined a chapter and who are still active on GC, maybe we should ask them their thoughts when they were posting their rush thread.

We (and when I say we I'm talking greekchat as a whole) need to stop speaking for the PNM's.

What it comes down to is possibly putting a sticky in the recuitment thread forum. Have PNM's read it and the PNM's have to say when they start a rush thread whether they would like the "good lucks" in the thread or not. If they say no Pm me, we PM them. If they dont' say anything, fair game and good lucks in the thread.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-20-2005, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

If you PM the good lucks or post a special good luck to them in a tagged "good luck" thread, they'll know. Most of them are smart enough to look at the number of people who have read their thread, too.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
i really don't get why people feel the ned to incessantly beg for an update or complain b/c they haven't heard from the PNM. What part of MAYBE IT DIDN'T WORK OUT don't you understand? Maybe they're embarassed, hurt, etc. b/c their rush didn't work out. Maybe your posts begging for an update are making them feel even worse about themselves and their rush. Honestly, if I had to pick, i'd live with the good lucks over the begging for updates.
co-sign

The good lucks aren't as bad, as long as the same person isn't wishing them good luck 3 times a day (which I've seen happen). Your good luck wishes don't expire after a few hours. But the begging for an update... THAT is what I have a major problem with, for the exact reason that kddani said.

Say you just went on an interview for your dream job that you thought was in the bag and didn't get it. Would you really want to face 5 voice mails each from all of your friends when you got home saying, "I just know you got it! OMG why aren't you calling me back? I NEED to know!!"??