GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,170
3 members and 2,167 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Can we make a no-bumping-this-thread-without-a-story rule? Or come on, at least a LOLCAT.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Negative, Ghostrider! Because I would hate for out-of-sight, out-of-mind to apply and for us to miss a great story because new or old posters didn't see the thread!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

During Open House Rounds, one house was so small (with little furniture) my rusher sat cross-legged (with her shoes still on) upon a low, square glass table while we conversed. She was allowed to do that because my chair was at a level higher than hers (rushers had to be seated on the floor/below rushee level during Open House conversations, unless you were both standing).

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking the posts about dancing, piggybacks, and glitter from the competitive thread could be inserted here. Let's call it what it is: weird.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
During Open House Rounds, one house was so small (with little furniture) my rusher sat cross-legged (with her shoes still on) upon a low, square glass table while we conversed. She was allowed to do that because my chair was at a level higher than hers (rushers had to be seated on the floor/below rushee level during Open House conversations, unless you were both standing).
House rule? Panhel rule? I'm trying to wrap my head around the why of this.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
And god help the 5'10" sister who somehow got paired with the 4'11 PNM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

During Outsides (skits), one of our sisters was wearing a dress that had kind of a fuzzy texture. During a conversation with a PNM, the PNM was extremely fascinated by this and spent a good few minutes stroking the dress on her leg and marveling at how cool it felt.

She was a really sweet girl and a lot of us liked her, but she was a little socially awkward.

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Huh?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was going through recruitment, one of the girls in a chapter that had dressed completely identically down to jewelry (which honestly, I expected, thought they looked nice, very pulled together, etc,) was trying to tell me how diverse they were by saying, "For instance, we're not all pretty, and we're not all smart..." I remember just blinking and having no response. I think I may have said something about it being interesting or something equally inane. For the record, I didn't bring up diversity.

When I was an active in OPA we had a girl come through interview round and one of the sisters asked in jest, "Have you ever done anything illegal?" She kind of chuckled and got ready to really ask a question and the girl proceeded to tell us how when she and her friend worked for the Sanrio store in the mall, they had to close the store the last day that they were in business and stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise.

OPA was very open when it comes to membership at my campus, but she definitely didn't get a bid.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
To Clarify (this rush is 30+ years ago):

Seated rushee(s) with a seated rusher(s) were NOT to feel intimidated, looked down upon, or loomed-over by sorority members. Hence the Open House Rule explained at Ye Olde Rush Orientation: Rusher(s) must sit at or below their rushee(s) eye level when rushee(s) seated.

Or as our Rush Counselors put it, rushees are Princesses being courted from below by the sorority members. We were told to expect and welcome this treatment.

Rushees were given pillows or cushions when both they and rushers sat on the floor. And in my previous example the rusher sat upon a low glass table below my chair's level. Awkward, but memorable.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Huh?
It's a women's fraternity versus sorority meme. Those ladies in a Fraternity, understand because we have been on the receiving end of that question during recruitment.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's a women's fraternity versus sorority meme. Those ladies in a Fraternity, understand because we have been on the receiving end of that question during recruitment.
The odd thing is that when I saw your posting of the image is that I thought it was a slam on women in *co-ed* fraternities like Alpha Phi Omega and Kappa Kappa Psi...

Any idea if there is an easy way to get a list of those members of the NPC which are Women's Fraternities vs Sororities?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
From the NPC manual of information (AKA green book) page 7

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS

Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity ΑΧΩ
Alpha Delta Pi Sorority ΑΔΠ
Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority ΑΕΦ
Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity ΑΓΔ
Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity ΑΟΠ
Alpha Phi Fraternity ΑΦ
Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority ΑΣΑ
Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority ΑΣΤ
Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity ΑΞΔ
Chi Omega Fraternity ΧΩ
Delta Delta Delta Fraternity ΔΔΔ
Delta Gamma Fraternity ΔΓ
Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority ΔΦΕ
Delta Zeta Sorority ΔΖ
Gamma Phi Beta Sorority ΓΦΒ
Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity ΚΑΘ
Kappa Delta Sorority ΚΔ
Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity ΚΚΓ
Phi Mu Fraternity ΦΜ
Phi Sigma Sigma Fraternity ΦΣΣ
Pi Beta Phi Fraternity ΠΒΦ
Sigma Delta Tau Sorority ΣΔΤ
Sigma Kappa Sorority ΣΚ
Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority ΣΣΣ
Theta Phi Alpha Fraternity ΘΦΑ
Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity ΖΤΑ
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The odd thing is that when I saw your posting of the image is that I thought it was a slam on women in *co-ed* fraternities like Alpha Phi Omega and Kappa Kappa Psi...

Any idea if there is an easy way to get a list of those members of the NPC which are Women's Fraternities vs Sororities?
And thus my confusion. I guess it comes from being in a co-ed fraternity.