GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,139
1 members and 1,138 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2004, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, don't make fun of me here, but I LOVE 90210 and I watch the reruns EVERY DAY!!!

In an episode that was on earlier this week, they had a shot where someone walked through one of the common areas on campus, and there was a guy wearing a shirt with Delta Sig letters! I just thought that was cool that they actually featured a real fraternity and not a fictional one like KEG or Alpha Omega or Gamma Chi.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Okay, don't make fun of me here, but I LOVE 90210 and I watch the reruns EVERY DAY!!!
(I only see it on the weekends, but yes, I too am a 90210 junkie!)
Old 01-04-2004, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

In A Different World, all the NPHC orgs are respresented in tons of scenes.

In the Steve Harvey Show, in his apt Steve has an Omega Psi Phi shield on the wall. both he and cedric are greek [i forgot what ced is, i think Kappa????]

In a montell williams video the Nupes are steppin w/ canes.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
(I only see it on the weekends, but yes, I too am a 90210 junkie!)
Well, you're not as bad as I am then! My husband gets so annoyed with me for this BUT we have DVR (for those of you who don't know it's like Tivo). Here 90210 comes on once M-F, and 3 times on Saturdays AND Sundays. I record every episode! So, essentially, I watch 11 90210 episodes a week. That's a sad sad addiction!

M-F they run the earlier episodes. Right now they're at the point where they have all just started college at California University, Donna and Kelly are pledging Alpha House, Steve is pledging Keg, Brenda hasn't left the show yet and Andrea just lost her virginity to that RA guy. On the weekends, they all just graduated college (about 10 episodes or so ago), and they are starting jobs in the "real world" and Brandon just cheated on Kelly, Hillary Swank left the show and Steve and Brandon are running the Beverly Beat.

Okay, now that I got all that off my chest, I was up really late tonight (since I am posting this at 5:30 in the am), and I have been working on my scrapbook. Well, there was this TERRIBLE "B" movie on tv (whatever channel hubby left it on before bed) called "Satan's School for Girls" or something. Well, there's a sorority chick in it who is trying to convince Shannen Doherty (no, not another 90210 connection!) to join her sorority, Kappa. We can only assume who she was alluding to!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Okay, now that I got all that off my chest, I was up really late tonight (since I am posting this at 5:30 in the am), and I have been working on my scrapbook. Well, there was this TERRIBLE "B" movie on tv (whatever channel hubby left it on before bed) called "Satan's School for Girls" or something. Well, there's a sorority chick in it who is trying to convince Shannen Doherty (no, not another 90210 connection!) to join her sorority, Kappa. We can only assume who she was alluding to!
Oh my gosh, I was up late and watching that movie as well, and was coming here to post about it! What a random movie and a random allusion to Kappa!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, you're not as bad as I am then! My husband gets so annoyed with me for this BUT we have DVR (for those of you who don't know it's like Tivo). Here 90210 comes on once M-F, and 3 times on Saturdays AND Sundays. I record every episode! So, essentially, I watch 11 90210 episodes a week. That's a sad sad addiction!

M-F they run the earlier episodes. Right now they're at the point where they have all just started college at California University, Donna and Kelly are pledging Alpha House, Steve is pledging Keg, Brenda hasn't left the show yet and Andrea just lost her virginity to that RA guy. On the weekends, they all just graduated college (about 10 episodes or so ago), and they are starting jobs in the "real world" and Brandon just cheated on Kelly, Hillary Swank left the show and Steve and Brandon are running the Beverly Beat.
[hijack]

Now, that just ticks me off! I vastly prefer the early episodes, and yet I only see the weekend ones! *sulk*

[/hijack]

Didn't Shannen Doherty do another sorority-based movie where she gets her friend to join, and the friend turns out to be a psycho, basically trying to take Shannen Doherty's life (her boyfriend, her band, her sorority) over?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sairose
Drumline has a part scene where KKY's are stepping, and there's 2 girls wearing SAI letters. Also at one point you can see TBS letters for a brief moment.
Once or twice, you can also catch a very quick glimpse of the Phi Mu Alpha coat-of-arms painted on the wall.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, there was this TERRIBLE "B" movie on tv (whatever channel hubby left it on before bed) called "Satan's School for Girls" or something. Well, there's a sorority chick in it who is trying to convince Shannen Doherty (no, not another 90210 connection!) to join her sorority, Kappa. We can only assume who she was alluding to!
I saw that a few days ago, and I immediately thought "Greek Chat!"

One of Shannen's new friends referred to the "Stepford Sorority Recruitment"... and then the Kappa said some cheezy lines about "I don't have roomates, I have sisters" (which of course made me miss my sisters!) and then Shannen's friend made some crack about not having any black sisters, and the Kappa said "Well, we don't currently have any, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't consider them" or something...

Then she left and the Shannen's friend (who was black) told about going to a recruitment event and no one talked to her, she just stood in the corner and they pretended she didn't exist. It was bad. Yikes!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

here goes my greek trivia points for today

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
Legally Blond, the book, had the name Delta Gamma as El's sorority. The house in the movie was a DG house as well.
dont know about the book, but Elle was a Delta Nu. watch it again (if you can handle the suffering!)
Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: here goes my greek trivia points for today

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
dont know about the book, but Elle was a Delta Nu. watch it again (if you can handle the suffering!)
In the book, she's a Delta Gamma.

In the movie, they changed it to Delta Nu.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I meant the physical house in the movie was a Delta Gamma house at a California University.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

ladies and gents, there it is. the truth!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Bumping because I just finished a book, Monkey Business by Sarah Mlynowski. One of the characters in it is an Alpha Phi alumna. (It's about four grad students.)
Old 03-19-2005, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Little-known fact....Dr. Nick Riviera from The Simpsons is a Sigma Chi.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
There is an old, out-of-print book called The Walls Came Tumbling Down by Babs H. Deal that mentions Delta, ADPi, and Kappa. The Delta sisters are the main characters, a Kappa is the new wife of one of the Delta's ex-husbands, and the ADPi's just looked out the window to see what was going on over at the Delta house. It's from the late 1960s, so I don't know that getting mentioned in a book was all that big a deal back then; then again, all the stuff was going down in the DDD house.

If you know ANYTHING about the basic history of Tuscaloosa (Friday Oil, "Druid City," etc.), you'll begin to wonder if the writer is really just making stuff up. Very taboo subject, especially for when the story's set. My mom grew up in T-town around the time this book is set and said it was like a blast from the past for her--she remembers that they really were doing construction over by Sorority Row and all that.