GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,372
1 members and 2,371 guests
John

Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

An SOA recruitement story

Even though I am a non traditional student and thought Id stick out, I figured to go through recruitement anyways. Our school has 8 sororities And since I am obsessed with Sons of Anarchy and am writing this while the season premiere is on then I will coincide the names on the show...

Gemma
Clay
Juice
Opie
Unser
Tara
Jax
Chibbs

Well our school doesnt have sorority houses so we do our recruitemnt in one of the buildings on campus. They hold 3 information sessions the 2 weeks before recruitemnt. You have to attend atleast 1 of these seesions. At this session they gave us a paper with information from all the sororities on it from their philanthropy to how much dues are. This was very helpful. next we went into a room where all 8 sororities were there each with 5 girls and at different stations. we seperated into groups and they let us speak with each sorroity for 5 min each. This was nice to get to quickly know each sorroity and what they were all about but with so many people talking in one room it was very hard to hear.
We were told that if we did everything correctly you will most liekly get a bid. there were about 400 girls going through recruitemnt. they said its the most they ever had, almost double last year.

The first night is Philanthropy, Second-Skit, Third-Pref, and Fourth-Bid Day...

The first night we visited all 8. My groups first was Chibbs. I was a bit nervous and didnt know what to expect with the first sorority. The clapping and chanting knocked me back a bit. The girl who walked me in actually was from my area at home. They were all very friendly and loved everyone i met. i got to actually talk to about 5 or 6 people here so it was nice to get a better understanding of more than just one person.

Second -Unser- they doubled us up in this room so it was hard to get in talk time. I was a bit more talkative than my partner which I felt bad about. I talked with like 3 people here and they were all friendly.

Third- Clay- This one I walked in not having the best thought about bc all their girls on the night of info sessions seemed so oppisite me but I thought Id keep an open mind. They seemed to be all blondes almost. it caight me of gaurd. They were all very energetic and outgoing. I loved the girl i first walked in with but everyone else I seemed not to gel with.

Fourth- Gemma- This house I seemed not to really connect with any one i talked to. I actually felt awkward here. We were also paired with another person here and she seemed to hog the convo so again that felt weird.

Fifth- Tara- Everyone here felt so diverse and down to earth. I I liked everyone i talked to. dont really rememeber much about this room.

Sixth-Jax-I absolutely loved this house. the people were alot like me and so diverse and lots of different people but all so nice and down to earth. there wasnt like one stereotype here which i loved. the sisster who walked me in and 2 other sisters were actually from like 5 min away from where i live at home.

Seventh-Juice-everyone was nice and outgoing but i seemed not to click with many here. the one who walked me in we talked alot but the rest not so much

And Last-Opie- My friend actually joined this one at a different school so I knew a little about the sorority itself. But wehn I walked in I dindt think Id love it as much as I did. The girl the walked me in, we ended up talkin the whole time just about everything. I dont know if that hurt me bc i didnt me any others, but our personalitys clicked right away.

After the first night I ranked them
1. Jax
1. Opie
1. Tara
1. Chibbs
1. Unser
2. Juice
3. Gemma
4. Clay
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bml619 View Post
Even though I am a non traditional student and thought Id stick out, I figured to go through recruitement anyways. Our school has 8 sororities And since I am obsessed with Sons of Anarchy and am writing this while the season premiere is on then I will coincide the names on the show...

Gemma
Clay
Juice
Opie
Unser
Tara
Jax
Chibbs

Well our school doesnt have sorority houses so we do our recruitemnt in one of the buildings on campus. They hold 3 information sessions the 2 weeks before recruitemnt. You have to attend atleast 1 of these seesions. At this session they gave us a paper with information from all the sororities on it from their philanthropy to how much dues are. This was very helpful. next we went into a room where all 8 sororities were there each with 5 girls and at different stations. we seperated into groups and they let us speak with each sorroity for 5 min each. This was nice to get to quickly know each sorroity and what they were all about but with so many people talking in one room it was very hard to hear.
We were told that if we did everything correctly you will most liekly get a bid. there were about 400 girls going through recruitemnt. they said its the most they ever had, almost double last year.

The first night is Philanthropy, Second-Skit, Third-Pref, and Fourth-Bid Day...

The first night we visited all 8. My groups first was Chibbs. I was a bit nervous and didnt know what to expect with the first sorority. The clapping and chanting knocked me back a bit. The girl who walked me in actually was from my area at home. They were all very friendly and loved everyone i met. i got to actually talk to about 5 or 6 people here so it was nice to get a better understanding of more than just one person.

Second -Unser- they doubled us up in this room so it was hard to get in talk time. I was a bit more talkative than my partner which I felt bad about. I talked with like 3 people here and they were all friendly.

Third- Clay- This one I walked in not having the best thought about bc all their girls on the night of info sessions seemed so oppisite me but I thought Id keep an open mind. They seemed to be all blondes almost. it caight me of gaurd. They were all very energetic and outgoing. I loved the girl i first walked in with but everyone else I seemed not to gel with.

Fourth- Gemma- This house I seemed not to really connect with any one i talked to. I actually felt awkward here. We were also paired with another person here and she seemed to hog the convo so again that felt weird.

Fifth- Tara- Everyone here felt so diverse and down to earth. I I liked everyone i talked to. dont really rememeber much about this room.

Sixth-Jax-I absolutely loved this house. the people were alot like me and so diverse and lots of different people but all so nice and down to earth. there wasnt like one stereotype here which i loved. the sisster who walked me in and 2 other sisters were actually from like 5 min away from where i live at home.

Seventh-Juice-everyone was nice and outgoing but i seemed not to click with many here. the one who walked me in we talked alot but the rest not so much

And Last-Opie- My friend actually joined this one at a different school so I knew a little about the sorority itself. But wehn I walked in I dindt think Id love it as much as I did. The girl the walked me in, we ended up talkin the whole time just about everything. I dont know if that hurt me bc i didnt me any others, but our personalitys clicked right away.

After the first night I ranked them
1. Jax
1. Opie
1. Tara
1. Chibbs
1. Unser
2. Juice
3. Gemma
4. Clay
I'll probably draw flack for saying this, but I would expect that a 27-year old college student should be able to write a bit better than you have here. Why does age matter? It shouldn't, because any college student should have a certain level of writing aptitude, but at 27, you've presumably been out in the world and have been exposed to all types of writing (or at least be able to see all the red underlined words in you post).

The odds are stacked against you at this age to join organizations which typically focus on collegiate women aged 18-22, so I would expect that your communication skills would at least be on that level.

Good luck in your endeavor, though.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did the OP say her age? Was it in another thread?

I too might get slack, but the teacher in me, has to say it...even for an 18 year old the writing is bad (grammatically). No offense but by 18 one should know that caught is not spelled caight. I'm thinking with all the grammatical errors that the OP was typing this post off of a phone. If not, well OP, you really need to work on your writing skills as they are essential for college.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't care, here for the SOA!!!!

Love Sons and I even named my ginger kitten Gemma! Since you didn't use Half-Sack, I guess I'll go with Juice.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote: "...and am writing this while the season premiere is on then I will coincide the names on the show."

OK, I am usually a stickler for proper grammar, but since the OP indicated she was typing this up while watching the SOA season premier, let's cut her some slack (while putting her on notice to do some proof-reading with the rest of her posts and that there is an edit function).

Huga Tara fan here, with a real soft spot for Jemma.

Please, continue...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The spelling/grammar skills of everyone else in this thread aren't spectacular, either. Just saying.

Regardless, the OP should really focus on her writing skills if she hopes to succeed in college.

Oh well.. I don't care.. it's Sons of Anarchy!

@~/~~~~
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I know my grammar, spelling, and even punctuation is probably all wrong in my original post. Honestly I wasn't paying attention to the screen as I was typing as I was watching SOA at the moment and also was just typing what came to thought. And sorry to anyone if I didn't spell check before I posted, next time I will.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, now I'm debating how I feel for Opie, considering....

I'm pulling for Chibbs!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2- I was asked back to 4 sororities out of a max of 5 so I was pretty excited and my 2 favorites were on there. They were Jax, Opie, Unser and Tara.

First- Unser- I dont remember much about this one this night, It was ok. I talked to alot of poeple and they were nice. And very stunned when I told my age. They just showed a video of pictures about the last year in the house.

Second- Opie-I think I fell more in love with this one on the second night. Everyone I spoke to was so wonderful and their skit was so funny. It felt more relaxed and easy to talk to them and it didn't feel forced.

Third-Jax-I loved this one the first day and today wasn't so sure. I still loved everything about it but just had a gut feeling I didn't fit in that well. Not sure what it was. But the house is great and their whole message they stand for I love.

and Fourth-Tara- This one I seemed to be shuffled around alot. Not because conversation ran out, I just think they wanted to be able to talk to as many people as they could. I ended up finishing up the night talking with one girl I met the night before. We talked for what seemed a while compared to everyone else, and it seemed we had some things in common so that was nice.

I ranked...
1. Opie
1. Jax
2. Tara
3. Unser

Last edited by bml619; 09-25-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
The spelling/grammar skills of everyone else in this thread aren't spectacular, either. Just saying.

Regardless, the OP should really focus on her writing skills if she hopes to succeed in college.

Oh well.. I don't care.. it's Sons of Anarchy!
I didn't say that my writing skills are perfect (I have many typos because I have stumpy fingers), but reading things that have a lot of misspellings, run-on sentences and poor punctuation slow me down and I have to re-read sentences or entire paragraphs. I was just letting the OP know that even online, it's always a good idea to run a quick check before you hit send. If it's eas(ier) to read, more people have the chance to enjoy your story!!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only person on the planet who has never watched Sons of Anarchy? I have no idea what the show is about.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Am I the only person on the planet who has never watched Sons of Anarchy? I have no idea what the show is about.

You are not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you. But it is apparently quite popular!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I was going to comment on the fact that I stopped counting the misspelled words after twenty-five, but I kind of like the way she spelled "sorority" as "sorroity" (twice).
Continue with your story, though. And, best of success to you.
(And, I've never heard of Sons of Anarchy either.)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it involves motorcycles...

Hope to hear the end soon!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You are not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you. But it is apparently quite popular!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I think it involves motorcycles...
Haha.. this is actually a show that I NEVER would have been inclined to watch, except that about a year and a half ago, my ex (who was my boyfriend at the time) turned on Netflix one night and just threw on the first episode of season 1 while we were falling asleep. I was exhausted, but I ended up watching 3 episodes before I finally passed out. I was hooked! And I had plenty of episodes to watch, as I was a few seasons behind. Now I'm caught up and it's so hard to watch an episode and have to wait an entire week for the next!

I'm not sure what it is.. it's just one of those shows that pulls you in.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy

Just don't read about each season if you plan on watching!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-27-2012 at 12:38 AM.