GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,245
4 members and 2,241 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Nervous PNAM.

I joined a local sorority when I was in college. It had a positive impact, but the sands of time seem to have made everyone drift apart. Should I cross paths with any of these women again, they would be considered a sister always.

Years have passed. I am thirty. I am happily married housewife that spends half the year in Canada and half the year in the United States. However, I still wish for an active sisterhood. I have spent time reading different GLO websites and I keep going back to one that I really wish to be part of.

So, I wrote an email on December 12th and sent it. Problem is, now I am nervous. My letters sometimes come across as 'robotic.' I am in Canada for half the year, and there is -no- Collegiate or Alumnae chapters in this area. I am in the US for only half the year and there is one Alumnae chapter and two Collegiate chapters within one hour of me.

I read the 'NPC Alumnae Intiation - Read This First' post by PenguinTrax. After reading it I made sure to think on:

"Why didn’t you join in college?"
"Why do I want to be an AI (especially if you have no prior ties to an organization)?"
"What can I contribute to an NPC org?"

If the GLO I wrote the email to asked me to write an essay on each question, I could do it with ease.

I have read a lot on these forums and I am thinking my email to the GLO might have sounded two businesslike. I am at the point where I just need to take a deep breath and be patient. *breathes*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM

My advice: Relax. Read everything you can on this site about Alumna Initiation. Including the AI stories from women who have pursued the process. It is a long process, and not something that is instantaneous or easy. I also make it a point to tell women who are pursuing a sorority to AVOID constant contacting or emailing. Don't be alarmed if you don't get a response from a group right away, as sororities are very busy organizations.

Also understand that becoming an AI is an honor, and as such is not something that is guaranteed. There are situations in which women contact a sorority, express interest, but are not asked to join. I just think it's good for women to know this starting out.

Some more advice: I would also suggest exercising some discretion on the internet. Not saying that you have been indiscrete thus far, but I wouldn't give out any info about the sorority you contacted, school you went to, etc. Just a general rule of thumb.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-16-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
My advice: Relax. Read everything you can on this site about Alumna Initiation. Including the AI stories from women who have pursued the process. It is a long process, and not something that is instantaneous or easy. Don't be alarmed if you don't get a response from a group right away.

Some more advice: I would also suggest exercising some discretion on the internet. Not saying that you have been indiscrete thus far, but I wouldn't give out any info about the sorority you contacted, school you went to, etc. Just a general rule of thumb.

Thank you for your reply. I have been telling myself to relax and I find that by writing it out has helped release some energy. Discovering this, I intend to get a notebook tomorrow and write things. I understand it is not a quick process. True friendship and sisterhood does not form instantly. It is different than making an acquaintance.

I have been reading GreekChat and plan to continue reading. I intended to keep the name of the sorority secret, but I appreciate your warning. I have refrained from even mentioning the local sorority because I know how easy it is to use a search engine.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis6 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have been telling myself to relax and I find that by writing it out has helped release some energy. Discovering this, I intend to get a notebook tomorrow and write things. I understand it is not a quick process. True friendship and sisterhood does not form instantly. It is different than making an acquaintance.
Right. I just like to make sure that women are realistic about the process. Generally, AI is the exception, not the rule. 99% of the women who join NPC sororities do so during college, not after graduating. AI is not something that occurs very frequently. I like to make sure that women understand that contacting a sorority does not mean they are going to be asked to become a member. It's good to have that in mind and be prepared for any outcome.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-16-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Also Artimes,

I don't know what local you were in, but you might try to find out if they have affiliated with an NPC. If they have and ONLY IF THEY HAVE you could become a candidate for AI into the NPC your local affiliated with.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 12-17-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Also Artimes,

I don't know what local you were in, but you might try to find out if they have affiliated with an NPC. If they have and ONLY IF THEY HAVE you become an automatic candidate for AI into the NPC your local affiliated with.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but I'd be careful about making blanket statements like this. This is not true of all NPC sororities. Not every NPC does this.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-16-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right. I just like to make sure that women are realistic about the process. Generally, AI is the exception, not the rule. 99% of the women who join NPC sororities do so during college, not after graduating. AI is not something that occurs very frequently. I like to make sure that women understand that contacting a sorority does not mean they are going to be asked to become a member. It's good to have that in mind and be prepared for any outcome.

I already know that just because I want in, does not mean they will want me. It is something I am nervous about. However, I cannot allow that to prevent me from trying. I believe I am a good person who has a lot of offer to any group. And, if I do not know something I am willing to admit it and try to learn.

Do you have a suggestion on how long to wait before contacting again? I was thinking of waiting a month and if no reply comes, to try to think on how to attempt contact again. They must be very busy, and also it is the holidays. I am guessing that it is possible my email might not get noticed until after New Year's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Also Artimes,

I don't know what local you were in, but you might try to find out if they have affiliated with an NPC. If they have and ONLY IF THEY HAVE you become an automatic candidate for AI into the NPC your local affiliated with.
My local has not joined an NPC. Years ago we looked into different NPC's for that possibility. Due to a small campus, we could not form a large enough group to apply to be a colony/chapter. Also, not all the members were comfortable with the idea and so, it was not explored further.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Do you have a suggestion on how long to wait before contacting again? I was thinking of waiting a month and if no reply comes, to try to think on how to attempt contact again. They must be very busy, and also it is the holidays. I am guessing that it is possible my email might not get noticed until after New Year's.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after the New Year, since most people are out of the office until then.

There's no "standard" amount of time, but I will say to use your better judegement and avoid flooding people's inboxes with emails. You don't want to annoy people.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after the New Year, since most people are out of the office until then.

There's no "standard" amount of time, but I will say to use your better judegement and avoid flooding people's inboxes with emails. You don't want to annoy people.
Yeah, it would annoy me if someone filled my inbox with a bunch of messages. I do not want to be like the character in the movies that calls someone, leaves a message on a voice mail and keeps calling because their previous message was cut off. It might be humorous in film, but in reality it would just be a nuisance.

I am going to wait -at least- one month. When I sent the email I sent it to specific.person@GLO.com. I had wondered if I should have sent it to general.website@GLO.com. However with the specific.person, if they were the incorrect person to contact, hopefully they would forward my message along.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 AM

I have a better idea. Get your butt on Facebook and try to renew contact with your sisters from your local. Trust me, doing this will be much more rewarding than going through the often lengthy AI process to be part of an alumnae chapter for 6 months out of the year (and depending on the alum chapter, they may only have 1 or 2 meetings during that time).
Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I also just wanted to mention that many GLOs start gearing up for spring recruitment in January, I would think. You may not hear back from them until after spring recruitment for the collegiate chapters are complete.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I just want to present a few pieces of information. First, as others have said, with holidays and spring recruitment coming up, I'd be prepared to wait over 1 month, especially if you have *no* connection within the organization.

Something you may also want to consider is that many alum chapters have only a handful of meetings/events per year and some (mine, for example) are extremely quiet during the summer. As 33girl pointed out, depending on the time of year you plan on spending in the U.S., the alum chapter may have very limited activities.

I'd also like to point out that there are community, non-collegiate social sororities in case you are looking into other options that may better meet your needs. Additionally, re-connecting with your sisters from your local may be something to look into.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I have a better idea. Get your butt on Facebook and try to renew contact with your sisters from your local. Trust me, doing this will be much more rewarding than going through the often lengthy AI process to be part of an alumnae chapter for 6 months out of the year (and depending on the alum chapter, they may only have 1 or 2 meetings during that time).
I have already attempted to remain in contact with my local via social websites. I am still hopeful that someday in the future it will be more than just a 'add as virtual friend' and be able to plan events. However, this has not dimmed my interest in seeking out an NPC GLO. Also, I am not putting my life on hold as I hope to join another GLO. I still travel, keep up with my hobbies and enjoy giving back to the community.. with or without sisters by my side.

I appreciate that you have taken time to give me advice and it has reminded me that I could and should continue my efforts to reconnect with my local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I also just wanted to mention that many GLOs start gearing up for spring recruitment in January, I would think. You may not hear back from them until after spring recruitment for the collegiate chapters are complete.
Thank you for replying. After reading your reply I can see how it may take even longer to receive any contact. Thankfully I am not as nervous as when I first posted. I am a calm and hopeful PNAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I just want to present a few pieces of information. First, as others have said, with holidays and spring recruitment coming up, I'd be prepared to wait over 1 month, especially if you have *no* connection within the organization.

Something you may also want to consider is that many alum chapters have only a handful of meetings/events per year and some (mine, for example) are extremely quiet during the summer. As 33girl pointed out, depending on the time of year you plan on spending in the U.S., the alum chapter may have very limited activities.

I'd also like to point out that there are community, non-collegiate social sororities in case you are looking into other options that may better meet your needs. Additionally, re-connecting with your sisters from your local may be something to look into.
I have already replied to some of the things mentioned in your reply. However, I thank you for the time you took to type up a response. In regard to only being in the US for half the year, I know it may cause complications. One of my dreams is to get settled someplace in the US, but it will take a few years. In the meantime, I think much can be done through correspondence while I am away.

Overall, I understand that an AI is not a guarantee. I understand that even if I am considered.. it will take time. If it is meant to be, it will be. If it is not meant to be, then at least I know I tried.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
my interest in seeking out an NPC GLO
Why why why why why??? Seriously, this is the thing that has struck me as the oddest since I joined GC. I had no idea there were people who "pursued" sorority membership POST-college years. You're a grown woman with your whole life and whole world open to you, what, exactly, about this is "the piece" that's missing? There are plenty of other social and service options out there for you to join, why this reach-back to something whose time has passed for you? Sorry, I just don't. get. it.

And I hate the term "PNAM". Is that a real thing recognized by the NPC? If not, who made it up and why?

/rant
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
And I hate the term "PNAM". Is that a real thing recognized by the NPC? If not, who made it up and why?

/rant
I'm pretty sure it was born on GC when sorority shopping suddenly became the thing to do.

AFAIK, it's not an NPC thing since AI policies vary from organization to organization.