GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
ajanessshulze31

Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I also took the survey. I'm also taking online courses and while I can see that some people would like to have e-textbook, I also prefer the physical kind so I can flag pages, fold corners, etc. This is particularly important since our tests are online. I don't highlight or do margin notes because I physically take notes on all of my readings but sometimes those notes will refer to "chart blah on page blah" in case I need details for the exams. I too get very tired of looking at a computer screen all the time. I'm also not sure I would be ok with purchasing a Kindle. I'm not convinced the cost of the Kindle is worth the savings for buying books. I'm also one who keeps textbooks for later reference.

All that said, I still think they should have ebooks available for those who prefer them.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I teach HS World History and my students have access to both the print version and the online version. Most of the students like the fact that they have the online version because the print book is heavy. When I taught MS American History last year I had the online textbook, print and on CD. The CD version would read the information to them as well. What both sets of students liked about the online version is that they could expand the text so that they could read it better. I know your research is about college but we have the same issues in the other schools. There is one high school where I live that is a laptop school and all of their books are e-books and they do have access to the print version if needed.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a slow trend shift towards digital books. The Amazon kindle is pretty cool in the way that you can get a variety of books in one simple device.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all of those who responded and took the survey!!

Also, these were the results if you were interested in knowing them:

1. Do you think that printed educational materials (i.e. books, magazines) should be converted into e-reader format?
Yes: 61%
No: 34.1%
I Don't Know: 4.9%

2. Do you prefer to have physical or electronic materials?
Physical: 60%
Electronic: 5%
No Preference: 27.5%
I Don't Know: 7.5%

3. Would you be willing to buy an e-reading device (Kindle etc.) for educational purposes?
Yes: 39%
No: 39%
I Don't Know: 22%

4. Would you be willing to pay for your textbooks in e-reading format?
Yes: 48.8%
No: 31.7%
I don't know: 19.5%

5. Would you be willing to pay for your textbooks in e-reading format if you had to pay full price but could only keep them for the academic term?
Yes: 0%
No: 95.1%
I Don't Know: 4.9%

6. Are you currently
In High School: 0%
In College or Grad School: 65.9%
Not in High School or College: 34.1%

I find it really interesting that the majority of people who took this prefer printed materials, but thinks the electronic conversion should be made. Any thoughts on that?

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi

Last edited by AXiDMeesh; 03-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
I find it really interesting that the majority of people who took this prefer printed materials, but thinks the electronic conversion should be made. Any thoughts on that?
I think it's the struggle of being environmentally friendly versus really wanting the textbook. Thanks for posting the results.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
It could be several things. One, it's always nice to have a choice. Even if one of the choices is something we wouldn't choose, it feels good to feel like we have a say. Two, electronic reading material that has the capability to be printed essentially allows people to have the best of both worlds (they can make notes/markings in their printed copy, and they can have the convenience/space-saving/ecofriendly/etc. benefits of the e copy).

I would be even more interested to know if there are specific courses/subjects that people would be more supportive of ebooks. For instance, when I was an undergrad, I would've jumped at the chance to have ebooks for my general education classes. I had one psychology class, the book was huge and costly, and I would definitely have preferred an ebook. (It obviously wasn't a choice all those years ago, but still.) For a course in my field, however, I probably wouldn't have wanted an ebook.

Thanks for posting the results!