GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,212
3 members and 1,209 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat

Old 10-13-2004, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Documentary Celebrates Unique Lifelong Bonds Between Coach and Student-Athletes

Oct. 12, 2004

NEW YORK - The unique lifelong bonds between legendary Grambling State football coach Eddie Robinson and the student-athletes he coached and mentored over 50 years will be celebrated when CSTV: College Sports Television, (www.collegesports.com) premieres a special documentary on Robinson Saturday, October 16 (4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT) as part of its critically acclaimed Coach original series.

Robinson, who retired in 1997 as the winningest coach in college football history, built Grambling State into the premier historically black college as head coach from 1941 to 1997. He produced more than 200 future NFL players, more than any other college coach, and led the Tigers to eight national black college titles and 18 Southwestern Athletic Conference championships.

Perhaps more importantly, he produced hundreds of young eager, productive, ambitious citizens. While creating one of the greatest dynasties in all of sports, Robinson took as much pride in molding responsible, mature young adults who achieved great success in business and in life.

Among those interviewed for the documentary: Doris Robinson, Eddie Robinson's wife; Horace Judson, president of Grambling State University; Doug Williams, former Grambling State quarterback who later was a Super Bowl MVP; James Harris, former Grambling State quarterback who also played in the NFL; Ernie Ladd and Sammy White, former Grambling State and NFL greats; Eddie Robinson, Jr., the coach's son; and others.

CSTV's Coach original series explores the unique bonds between college sports' greatest coaches and their prized pupils, and the lessons taught on the playing field which remain relevant long after student-athletes' playing days are over.

The Eddie Robinson File:

· Coached Grambling State from 1941-97, compiling a 408-165-15 record and winning 8 national black college titles

· Became college football's winningest coach when Grambling State defeated Prairie View A&M in 1985 for his 324th victory, thus surpassing the iconic Paul "Bear" Bryant

· Among Robinson's former players who starred in the NFL: Buck Buchanan, Willie Davis, James Harris, Charlie Joiner, Ernie Ladd, Everson Walls, Doug Williams, Sammy White and Paul (Tank) Young

· Arrived at Grambling State in 1941 to become head football and basketball coach and physical education teacher

· Coached the first black player (Younger) to make it to the NFL

Soundbites from CSTV's Eddie Robinson documentary:
"America was the only country that would allow me to...play in the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. After that game, Coach Robinson was in the San Diego and I never shall forget, the one thing he told me that day was...he said, `You don't even understand the impact that you have on America...being the only African-American quarterback to do that'" (win the Super Bowl). - Doug Williams, former Grambling quarterback who later was the MVP of the Washington Redskins' 1988 Super Bowl victor

"We were all involved in segregation...and all of us rode the back of the bus, and all of us drunk from the colored and white water fountain, and it was easy for all of us to say that life is not fair. But I think, once we played for Coach, we realized that we could overcome." - James Harris, former Grambling quarterback who later played for the Los Angeles Rams in the NFL

"I remember, sometimes he would take a whole practice and just talk to you about life, never pertaining to football. Just about what you had to do and how life would really treat you if you didn't do those things that you really needed to do." - Andre Robinson (no relation), a 1981 Grambling graduate who played under Eddie Robinson

Encore Presentations of CSTV's Eddie Robinson documentary:

Sunday, October 17, 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT

Sunday, October 31, 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT

Wednesday, November 10, 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...101204aav.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XODUS1914
Quincy Jones is associated with the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. And I notice you gentlemen don't have any African Presidents on that list
That is true but in 1971, William R. Tolbert (former president of Liberia and a Sigma) invited the Alphas to Liberia to hold their general convention there. Several high cabinet members in the Liberian government we're Alphas.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

New to the Board yall. I just wanted to vouch for Brother Rev. Floyd Flake. He is my pastor. I attend the Greater Allen Cathedral in Queens NY. I have gripped the Brother..... he's legit (sp)
Old 03-23-2005, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also told that his wife, Co-Paster Eliane, is a Soror as well. I cant say for sure though
Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

GRAMBLING — Organizers hope to open a small exhibit of items from a proposed Eddie Robinson Museum in time for the city of Grambling's annual Juneteenth celebration.

Ruston attorney John Belton, a governor-appointed member who chairs the museum board, asked for and received the votes needed Tuesday to push for a June opening. The temporary exhibit was an idea broached earlier in a series of meetings to help jumpstart the long-dormant project.

Grambling Mayor Martha Andrus, an ex-officio board member, was thrilled with the idea: "Juneteenth would be a wonderful time to open that."

The Louisiana Legislature approved the museum in 1999, but the project was nearly derailed by a series of budget cuts and disagreements over location. In fact, the board that oversees the project hadn't met for nearly a year when these new efforts began in January.

Florent Hardy, a state archivist, offered to have a member of his staff bring memorabilia being held in Baton Rouge to display in this temporary exhibit — praising the idea as "something that would showcase the museum idea," Hardy said.

He recommended that someone from the university view the items to help with selection, and to take a management role when they arrived. GSU football coach Melvin Spears and others have recommended displaying the Robinson items in the foyer and upstairs trophy cases of the stadium support facility on campus.

The group also heard on Tuesday from John Arthur Jones, son of GSU's legendary former president R.W.E. Jones, who spoke on behalf of the Great Blacks in Wax Museum in Baltimore.

The museum has commissioned a tribute to Eddie Robinson, Jones said, and would like to join in a cooperative arrangement with the Robinson project. He proposed that the local museum display the new wax figure for up to three months at a time, on loan. The only cost would be travel arrangements, liability insurance and security, he said.

The wax museum, meanwhile, would offer referrals back to the Robinson project if people wanted more in-depth information on his life and accomplishments.

"I said I wouldn't get involved unless that was in place," said Jones. "I've known about the museum idea, and this could provide a back and forth in supporting each other in a meaningful way."

The wax figure, which Jones said should be finished in time for the 2005 Bayou Classic, will also be put on display at other events throughout the nation — an added promotional benefit.

In other business, the group approved an artist to create a logo, appointed Belton to push for support in advance of the next legislative session and discussed several fundraising opportunities — including the founding of a Friends of the Eddie Robinson Museum group.

Originally published April 6, 2005
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who has an avid interest in Black History I couldn't but help to take a look at this thread. Not to overstep my bounds- but, I believe W.E.B. DuBois is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity,just giving him the recognition he deserves to belonging to your great fraternity!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Former New York City Mayor David N. Dinkins was the keynote speaker at my graduation (Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus) yesterday, where he also received an honorary Doctorate of Laws degree.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Pearl
As someone who has an avid interest in Black History I couldn't but help to take a look at this thread. Not to overstep my bounds- but, I believe W.E.B. DuBois is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity,just giving him the recognition he deserves to belonging to your great fraternity!
You're not overstepping, Lady of Pearl, you are welcome anytime. And you are correct with regard to Bro. W.E. B. DuBois.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 06-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Banned

that was a nice list
Old 06-26-2005, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Eric Jerome Dickey and E. Lynn Harris are Alphas??? Didn't know that.

Also, I have seen certain publications try to claim John H. Johnson, founder of Ebony Mag among many other accomplishments, as a Kappa
Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Re: Alpha Men- couple of typos

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Professor
[B]Alpha Men are on the forefront of social change in America. Although we all pursue goals in diverse fields of interest, we share a common mission in uplifting the economic condition of all our people. It is simply not enough for an Alpha Man to obtain a college degree, still a larger task remains. An Alpha Man must provide sound leadership in his community, being committed to service.

He is charged to lend a hand to his fellow man.

Education/Scholarship

Dr. James Cheek : Howard University (past president of my alma mater!!!! fiesty little man!)

Science/Medicine
Dr. Lasalle D. Leffall : President American College of Surgeons - My mother's doctor...he is AMAZING!-- More information on him- www.thehistorymakers.com/biography/ biography.asp?bioindex=758&category=medicalMakers

QUOTE]
Old 08-28-2005, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XODUS1914
Quincy Jones is associated with the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. And I notice you gentlemen don't have any African Presidents on that list
Not to mention that FREDERICK DOUGLASS DIED IN 1895?!?! Not trying to call you guys out but, do you all pass out membership posthumously?

Last edited by Phinesse; 08-28-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloud9
Eric Jerome Dickey and E. Lynn Harris are Alphas??? Didn't know that.

Also, I have seen certain publications try to claim John H. Johnson, founder of Ebony Mag among many other accomplishments, as a Kappa
Eric Jerome Dickey is from my chapter. Kappa eta at the University of Memphis.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IntegriTY1908
Smile

WOW I did not know Eric Jerome Dickey is an Alpha I spent all summer reading his novels I love his books his creativity kept me reading all summer long well now I see why I felt that way and I see why I could relate so well to his lingo YOU gotta love Skee-Phi it feels so good!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I had no idea former DC Mayor Marion Barry is an Alpha man