GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,452
1 members and 2,451 guests
Tridentia

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Where she was on Joan's list doesn't matter quite so much as the fate of the PNM's #2 chapter. It is possible that the last girl on Joan's list could be matched as a QA, but her other chapter would have also had to have made quota. In order to be a QA, you have to maximize, AND be too low on BOTH of your chapters' lists to be matched during "regular matching" (strictly to quota). If Peggy made quota before getting to SC2013's name, THEN she would have another shot at getting Joan, as a QA. If Peggy didn't make quota, then of course SC2013 is matched with Peggy.

However, correct me if I am wrong, there are several factors that go into determining where the QAs go, one of which is current chapter size, so even if Peggy did make quota, SC2013 could have gotten Peggy as a QA, since Peggy is a smaller chapter than Joan.
Hmmm...I thought QAs were apportioned first by PNM preference. I agree with your first explanation. She'd go to Peggy unless Peggy got to quota before her name came up on the list...then she'd get to be a QA,

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
However, correct me if I am wrong, there are several factors that go into determining where the QAs go, one of which is current chapter size, so even if Peggy did make quota, SC2013 could have gotten Peggy as a QA, since Peggy is a smaller chapter than Joan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Hmmm...I thought QAs were apportioned first by PNM preference. I agree with your first explanation. She'd go to Peggy unless Peggy got to quota before her name came up on the list...then she'd get to be a QA,
From reading these boards for awhile, it seems that this is a decision that each campus panhellenic gets to make. It appears that some schools place the QAs with the lowest total chapter, whereas others seem to place them in the PNMs first choice chapter.

Personally I like the theory of placing them in the smallest group, as QAs can be a way for the large to get even larger. However, having scores of PNMs getting their 3rd choice (and then them not showing up) is not exactly what we want either.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 01-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
From reading these boards for awhile, it seems that this is a decision that each campus panhellenic gets to make. It appears that some schools place the QAs with the lowest total chapter, whereas others seem to place them in the PNMs first choice chapter.

Personally I like the theory of placing them in the smallest group, as QAs can be a way for the large to get even larger. However, having scores of PNMs getting their 3rd choice (and then them not showing up) is not exactly what we want either.
I almost always prefer the option that helps a smaller chapter. However, when it comes to QA's, a woman can not be added unless all of her pref chapters have made quota anyway. In that case, I think that it should be "rules be damned, let the GA do what she has to in order to maximize the number of women placed as QA's, while staying under 5% of quota".

Also, from the PNM's point of view, if one of her prefs is at the chapter that can't make quota, it makes no difference whether or not she lists them on her bid card, she is not going to be a QA at her first choice.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I almost always prefer the option that helps a smaller chapter. However, when it comes to QA's, a woman can not be added unless all of her pref chapters have made quota anyway. In that case, I think that it should be "rules be damned, let the GA do what she has to in order to maximize the number of women placed as QA's, while staying under 5% of quota".

Also, from the PNM's point of view, if one of her prefs is at the chapter that can't make quota, it makes no difference whether or not she lists them on her bid card, she is not going to be a QA at her first choice.
They did away with this mandate. Statistically, the stronger chapters should have less opportunities for QAs if RFM is done correctly since their numbers for pref should be fairly low. That should not leave too many women with an option to list them #1 for a QA. If all QAs majically get dumped into the lowest group, that then again gives them the reputation of the group that takes all the leftovers. Not really something that is preferrable either.

AOII

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As in, it's been removed from the Green Book altogether? That seems like a bad idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As in, it's been removed from the Green Book altogether? That seems like a bad idea.
That's why you've seen huge numbers of QAs over the past year.

AOII

Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That's why you've seen huge numbers of QAs over the past year.
Oh, alright. I assumed that campuses were just ignoring it or guaranteeing bids or whatever, but your explanation makes more sense. That's really too bad; it's so hard to come back from being a smaller chapter.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
this is how i understand it(also been a few years for me as a recruitment adviser)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, alright. I assumed that campuses were just ignoring it or guaranteeing bids or whatever, but your explanation makes more sense. That's really too bad; it's so hard to come back from being a smaller chapter.
I know what you mean. I think the rationale is to maximize placement. There's no free lunch, unfortunately. Placing more PNMs does not always benefit the smaller chapters. It can, but not always.

AOII

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

To sum it all up (LOL) I thought the same thing that AOIIAngel did - that QAs are based on PNM preference and that it benefits the PNMs first, chapter second. If you really could QA dump people into the smallest chapter, there wouldn't be a smallest chapter.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter that I advised was in at a commuter school and they tried QA one year, what happened what the PNMs just dropped the smallest chapter and didn't go to pref so they couldn't get placed there and waited for the "better" chapters to do COB and pick them up. The Greek system there was a little wacky because the Greek Adviser had never been Greek and was anti-Greek so she just did what the majority wanted to do whether it was right or not. So glad, I am not involved anymore there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

It's been a couple years since I've involved with bid matching, but if a large GLO wanted more than 5% of the QAa, the smaller GLOs had to okay it as "for the good of the system. Even then, a case had to be made.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
A chapter that I advised was in at a commuter school and they tried QA one year, what happened what the PNMs just dropped the smallest chapter and didn't go to pref so they couldn't get placed there and waited for the "better" chapters to do COB and pick them up. The Greek system there was a little wacky because the Greek Adviser had never been Greek and was anti-Greek so she just did what the majority wanted to do whether it was right or not. So glad, I am not involved anymore there.
If the "better" chapters are always COBing, chapter total is set too high.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the chapter total was set way too high, but the non-Greek Greek advisor didn't understand the concept. It was very frustrating. There were many times when I or the advisors of the other "big" chapter had to bring our green books in and show the Greek advisor what was legal. There were only three chapters on campus and three is a very frustrating number. Things did get better when the non-Greek Greek advisor left and a true Greek advisor took the position.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
To sum it all up (LOL) I thought the same thing that AOIIAngel did - that QAs are based on PNM preference and that it benefits the PNMs first, chapter second. If you really could QA dump people into the smallest chapter, there wouldn't be a smallest chapter.
That was the rule used on my campus...smallest total chapter size. I don't recall if it was in the GB or not. It didn't matter much, though, because there were, at the time, 14 chapters that regularly took quota and 5 that didn't.