GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,286
0 members and 1,286 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went through UGA rush last year and had a wonderful experience. Mine, however, was not as good. She was a double UGA sorority legacy at one of the houses and was rushed like crazy through round 3. That particular sorority no longer has the legacy rule you mentioned in place. They have an "unspoken rule" restricting the number of new members from each high school and cut my daughter right before prefs "in favor of other girls from her school". I was crushed but realized that sorority was never her number 1; she just felt compelled to give it a chance given her family legacy. My daughter got her first choice and couldn't be happier! I wish you and your daughter all the best!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mama Dawg
Que Sera

Thanks for that story...UGAdad, I know your daughter was thrilled to have such a busy and full day. Sounds like everyone gets what they need. My daughter has had a couple of breaks today and she gets a nice long one before her last party....my house! A chance to freshen up and take a break...

My best friend's daughter went through Auburn rush two years ago and was cut from our own sorority just before prefs....we were not expecting that at all. That's why I'd love to know the policy now...just to be prepared. Fortunately, she pledged the ONE sorority that asked her back, and now, she's a vice-president and loving the leadership opportunity. We feel like she would not have excelled so well had she not been in a smaller chapter, so I'm believing that wherever my baby dawg ends up, that's her greek home.

The best thing about being greek in my book is the lifelong friendships you make. To me, the three year campus experience was great, but my sisters now have always got my back! Love the bond!!!

Here's to all of our UGAdaughters and Baby Dawgs getting to go where they will the happiest and most fulfilled...not just for four years....but a lifetime!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs

UGADad

You mentioned that your daughter had 7 or 8 recs....someone else mentioned on here getting some even now in the process...

My daughter was offered some recs from people that had only met her once (like the mother of someone she met at orientation) but in the meeting they mentioned that recs were not at all needed so my daughter did not pursue any. I too, got a call this morning and she has a pretty full schedule today but didn't get called back to some of her favorites.

Do recs really make a difference? And can she get a rec from a current member in another school's chapter at this time since that house seems to be one of her top choices after today?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
UGADad

You mentioned that your daughter had 7 or 8 recs....someone else mentioned on here getting some even now in the process...

My daughter was offered some recs from people that had only met her once (like the mother of someone she met at orientation) but in the meeting they mentioned that recs were not at all needed so my daughter did not pursue any. I too, got a call this morning and she has a pretty full schedule today but didn't get called back to some of her favorites.

Do recs really make a difference? And can she get a rec from a current member in another school's chapter at this time since that house seems to be one of her top choices after today?
**bangs head on desk** not at you mom, at the system and at UGA panhel or whoever said that.

I can't imagine they would actually say in the meeting that recs were not at all needed - because that just isn't the truth.

Some groups allow collegiate members to write recs, some do not. That is if you're talking about collegiate members. Any alum can write one, it doesn't matter if she's from the UGA chapter or not.

HTH!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck to your daughter! just got hooked on gc today!

dgdramadog - assuming you were a dg at uga - have to ask when? graduated in 2000 and had such a great time!

Last edited by ugadg; 08-13-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

good good luck to ugadaughter, baby dawg,and cluelessdaughter!!

clueless mom, if your daughter has been invited back to any of the houses that you were offered recs. to and you still have that contact info., please get in touch with those ladies asap. it is extremely rare for a pnm to skate by with no recs. and receive a bid. contact the inhouse collegian at the other school-she should know if she can write a rec. for cluelessdaughter.

and a pox on uga panhellenic for misleading pnms and their families.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadg View Post
dgdramadog - assuming you were a dg at uga - have to ask when? graduated in 2000 and had such a great time!
Pledged in 2002-2003. I just missed you!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
my dearest baby was invited back to 6 houses (two were at the bottom of her bottom five), but thankfully the other four were at the top of her list We were sad that she was cut from one house that she really enjoyed (and it was special...I went to prefs there, too!). Anyway, she was cut from that one (but we had no rec there....Knew no one. I should have done a better job) Today, we are scrambling to see if any last minute recs can go into two of those four where we also have no recs...
My recruitment experience at UGA was identical. After the first round, I was only invited back to 6 houses. I won't lie- it is a slight blow, especially sitting next to my cousin who got a full invite list. I'd gotten cut from a few of my 1st party favorites, but a few I was a legacy at plus 2 I was interested in (and 2 I was not) invited me back. Please, encourage your daughter to stick it out through prefs no matter what. After round 2, I was only invited back to 4 houses for house tours, only 2 I was interested in. And I preffed those 2 plus 1 more...I ended up changing my mind at pref from a week-long favorite to the one that felt the most at home to me and it was the best decision I made! So cuts can be hard, but stick it out all the way through, and if in the end none of those feel right, at least she knows she gave them all a chance.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
**bangs head on desk** not at you mom, at the system and at UGA panhel or whoever said that.

I can't imagine they would actually say in the meeting that recs were not at all needed - because that just isn't the truth.

Some groups allow collegiate members to write recs, some do not. That is if you're talking about collegiate members. Any alum can write one, it doesn't matter if she's from the UGA chapter or not.

HTH!
Unfortunately, the message regarding rec letters has been mixed. During orientation, the individuals from the Panhellic council told our group that rec letters was not necessary. I have learned through our experience this year, that rec letters were incredibly important. As a Mom with a freshman daughter going through the recruitment process for the first time, consistent and accurate information is so important. As parents, we might not know alumni from each individual sorority to ask for rec letters, but we found that people know people. Several friends knew other sorority alum who very kindly submitted rec letters to their respective sorority on my daughters behalf.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 --- UGA Recruitment

UGADad, first of all, thank you for starting this thread. We are first timers to the sorority experience at UGA too. I pledged a sorority YEARS ago but for financial reasons, didn't go through the final initiation process, and there were only 5 sororities on this particular campus. So I know a little bit of what to expect and how to give encouragement and support.

Our daughter is a freshman living in Brumby. She has met so many wonderful young ladies all at this point are going through Rush. Saturday and Sunday was fun, exciting and very tiring. We drove back through Athens Sunday night to have dinner with her. She was exhausted! She was happy about the houses and the girls that she had met.

We wait anxiously to hear about her day today. So, updates to come.

Good luck to all the young ladies going through Rush at UGA.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Why does the Greek Life office do this to people????

Yes, technically it is the obligation of the group members to find a recommendation for a PNM that they are interested in, but in a recruitment as large as UGA, you don't want to count on it.

Greek Life finally made some progress and put this in the Pointer, the recruitment magazine, but they need to quit sabotaging the people who know the least about UGA rush.

Sure, if you decided at the last minute to go through recruitment, you might get by at some groups because they have alumnae networks and would get you one. Other places who have hundreds of glowing recommendations on other PNMs, not so much.

If at all possible, get at least one rec for every group at any SEC recruitment and at many other big recruitments.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
UGADad

Just lost a very long response. I'll try again.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We were lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADad View Post
Just lost a very long response. I'll try again.
Thanks to GC, we were very, very lucky. After her orientation in June, UGADaughter and I were working together on-line on her schedule. We decided to google "UGA Sorority Recruitment" and we were led to the last year's thread about UGA recruitment -- I think the name of the thread was "My friend's UGA recruitment." It was eye-opening. At that point UGADaughter had recs for three houses from close family friends, and didn't plan on trying to get others. After GC educated us, UGADaughter and UGAMom scrambled around to find recs from all imaginable sources (I even called two old college friends) and were able to secure recs for 11 sororities, inlcuding multiple recs for four houses.

I am certainly not qualified to give any advice, but I don't see how it could hurt to get recs in tomorrow if you can get them.

I'm going to send this and then continue so I don't lose it again.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAMOM01 View Post
UGADad, first of all, thank you for starting this thread. We are first timers to the sorority experience at UGA too. I pledged a sorority YEARS ago but for financial reasons, didn't go through the final initiation process, and there were only 5 sororities on this particular campus. So I know a little bit of what to expect and how to give encouragement and support.

Our daughter is a freshman living in Brumby. She has met so many wonderful young ladies all at this point are going through Rush. Saturday and Sunday was fun, exciting and very tiring. We drove back through Athens Sunday night to have dinner with her. She was exhausted! She was happy about the houses and the girls that she had met.

We wait anxiously to hear about her day today. So, updates to come.

Good luck to all the young ladies going through Rush at UGA.
UGADaughter is also in Brumby, and she thinks it is great that all those freshman girls can be in the dorm together sharing experiences and making new friends. But NonUGASon, who helped us move UGADaughter in on Friday, was the most impressed with Brumby. He had quite an enjoyable day on Friday -- helping little sister has never been so much fun for him!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

All of my daughter's friends are in Brumby, too. I put it in another thread, but her very best friend and very close friend (they're roommates) both got 12 invites; another friend got 10; another friend got 6 and two others got 3. (Haven't heard about the two sophs trying again).

Keep your fingers crossed, I have a couple of posts in that thread you read about last year that discusses the disappointing rush the girls from our HS experienced. I'm hoping for better turnout this year.