GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,391
3 members and 2,388 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-12-2001, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face Living abroad - now what??

Hi, I'm new to Greekchat, I am now living (permanently) in the UK...does anybody have any ideas on "staying in touch" with my glo?

It all seems so far away.....nobody here in Europe really understands Greek life - HELP!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2001, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Depending on where you are located in the UK, there may be an NPC alumnae panhellenic group. In addition, your national office should be able to put you in touch with other Alpha Chi's living abroad so you can stay in touch with them.

Contact the NPC and your National Office for contact names and addresses.

Barbara
Old 06-12-2001, 09:41 AM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by UKAXO:
Hi, I'm new to Greekchat, I am now living (permanently) in the UK...does anybody have any ideas on "staying in touch" with my glo?

It all seems so far away.....nobody here in Europe really understands Greek life - HELP!!
Hi, newbie!

Old 06-12-2001, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
UKAXO--

I can understand that it may be tough living in a different country, but still wanting to be in touch with your American sisters. Our sisters in Europe have been working to start their own alumnae chapter in Europe. It's been hard, but they've had some success. I suggest you talk to your HQ and find out where other sisters are in Europe. I can't imagine that you're the only one there

And to show you how involved you can stay, Delta Phi Epsilon's International President lives in France!!! So you can stay as involved as you like

Best of luck!

Quote:

Old 06-12-2001, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for the advice - I will contact AXO HQ and ask....

Anybody else out there in this situation? Just wondering...
Old 06-12-2001, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hi,

Some of my sorority sisters live abroad and stay in touch with DZ through our online alumnae chapter called Surfing Sisters. I don't know if your GLO has an online board like this, but it's worth checking into. We have over 300 alums on Surfing Sisters, and we chat daily online about anything and everything. It's a great communication tool, especially since we all live so far apart. Hope this helps!
Old 06-13-2001, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

My GLO also has an online chapter for alums who want to stay in touch, but don't live near any other alumni.

We meet twice a month (officially) in our chat room. It is a great way to stay in touch.. although we don't have an internation members of the chapter yet!

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts
Old 06-13-2001, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey UKAXO, you might want to check with your nationals to see if they have a program for sisters living abroad.. my GLO has what is called the magic carpet where sisters who are out of the country can keep in touch.. your nationals might be able to give u better information

------------------
Love, Honor, Truth
Old 06-13-2001, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ees125
Talking

Hey UKAXO! I am living in Switerland right now, so I know how you feel. I just moved here a little less than 2 months ago. I know that at least my Alpha Gamma Delta, there are several ways to stay involved while abroad. Not to mention it seems like any Greek Alumi orgs seem to have something in the UK, but not centeral Europe where I am. I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a line (ees125@hotmail.com) It's always nice to meet fellow people from the Greek System.
Old 06-13-2001, 08:28 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Are you open to making friends with other Greeks living in the UK, even if they are in a different NPC sorority? I only ask, because I went to Delta Gamma's website here: http://www.deltagamma.org/rosters/search.htm
and under "Country" I typed in England. I also redid it, and typed in UK (no dots, just UK, as is). Presto! I got a bunch of hits that there are DG's living abroad in that part of the world. Surely there MUST be other Greek women living in England, even if they're all not AXO....hope that this helped.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You can also stay in touch through the UK Alumnae Panhellenic Council.
http://geocities.com/panhellenicuk/index.html
Old 06-13-2001, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I know perfectly how you feel!!
For me it is the other way around - I am in the USA and nobody knows about European fraternities and nobody cares either....

Try to stay in touch through your chapters homepage and I don't know about your sorority, but we have a book with the address of every member of my fraternity all over the world.
Plus, I don't know whereabout in the UK you live but there are organizations called "societies" like the "pope's society" in Oxford and Edinburgh that are at least freternity-like. I just gassed up at home and visited my chapter a week ago and had a lot of good beers with my brothers.
Good luck!