GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,802
0 members and 1,802 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

At homecoming there was a Sigma Chi alumnus tailgating with his chapter near us wearing a lettered sweatshirt. My pledge brother and I both thought that it was really awesome and said that we wanted to be that guy in twenty years. I say keep rocking them!

Last edited by Gusteau; 06-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I stopped when I was 27, around the time I gave birth to my son. I decided that I was too old to still do it because my friends were now mom friends, and most were closer to 40. Before becoming a mom, I could pass for younger, so it was no big deal to me. I was lucky that as a rush advisor at two schools, I always had a ton of new and cute shirts well after I graduated.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I never hesitate to wear my AGD pullover jacket when it's rainy and windy, ESPECIALLY on weekends.

If it's acceptable to wear university and college t-shirts and sweatshirts (I had over 50 by graduation, most of which were free, most of which have moved with me from place to place), it's acceptable to wear lettered t-shirts and sweatshirts.

I'm wearing a t-shirt I got the first day of my freshman year of college right now (meaning I've had it for 7 years) and if someone said something about "reliving the glory days" I'd say something along the lines of "only because I have to deal with your ugly days." Live-in isn't greek but he wears his college t-shirts all the time, and his dad is actually jealous of the number of Oakland Zoo t's he's got and wears.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I am twenty-four. The only people who comment on my letters (besides a few white people who had a brother or sister who was greek) are other black people because they have never heard of "Phi Mu" before and "what is that"? Never anything negative though, but I do still look like a teenager so they probably can't tell yet.

I'll never stop wearing them. They mean far too much to me. Perhaps I'll start getting 2-inch instead of 4-inch letters once I hit thirty or something.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I live in the DC area as well, and I wear my billboard letters and event shirts occassionally in casual settings (i.e. shopping). No one ever gives me weird looks or comments.
I live in DC too, and although it's never happened to me, I could imagine it depending on the neighborhood. Don't forget there are a lot of college alums in this city who are pretty much anti-greek. (Georgetown, for example)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
I'm only 22, but I do have a 2-year-old with me most of the time. I will always wear my letters with pride!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
He hid it better this time. I was almost fooled.
You know he's going to eventually get around to perping a D9 sorority member as one of his incarnations. He's so smart and tricky you know.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I only have one lettered sweatshirt, and I mostly just wear it around the house. I say "mostly," because when the school where I teach had a College Day and we were supposed to wear college gear, I wore a t-shirt from my university with my lettered sweatshirt, since I didn't have a university sweatshirt anymore, and it was cold.

I have a couple of old event shirts that I'll wear to the gym or to sleep in. They're comfy!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I never hesitate to wear my AGD pullover jacket when it's rainy and windy, ESPECIALLY on weekends.
Definitely. My jacket has gotten me through some rough weather. And in Erie, PA, I don't care what I'm wearing... if I'm warm and dry, it doesn't matter what anyone says to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
I was lucky that as a rush advisor at two schools, I always had a ton of new and cute shirts well after I graduated.
Same here! And I don't wear lettered shirts to every event I attend with the active sisters, but I'll put them on every so often. At the very least, my gym wardrobe is constantly updated

@~/~~~~
Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think you are ever too old to rock the letters! I am still a collegian, but I love seeing other alums of other GLOs wearing letters or jewelry. I plan on wearing my letters for a loooong time. They are such a huge part of my life and I am proud to wear them.

As for attending collegiate events, why not. I know my chapter loves having some alum attend events. We always invite them! There is nothing wrong with remaining active with your GLO no matter how old you are.

Also, I love running into alum sisters! I get so excited, they have great stories. I was lucky to meet one alum sister who is a parent to one of my brothers friends. She helped colonize the chapter at her school and had wonderful insight. I would have never known this if she wasn't wearing her letters at 40+!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Great comments, everyone. I am loving these stories!

Yeah, I live in an area of DC that is quite... liberal and crunchy, if you know what I mean. People are quite vocal in their opinions, and while my fiance has had plenty of negative comments and one physical threat because of his shirts (he's very Replublican), I didn't think anyone would care about letters being worn.

I'm chalking it up to one stupid person saying something to me, and I'm not going to care. I do tend to care what people think about me and what they say, even though they may be strangers. Something I've gotta work on. But, these letters do have meaning to me, and so I'll rock 'em whenever I feel like it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm 33 and I wear t-shirts and sweatshirts with my letters to the library (I'm a grad student) or any other place I feel like other than work (not because of the letters, but because I don't wear any casual clothing to work). I do reserve the coaches jackets/windbreakers for alumnae events and other events for which they would be appropriate.

I've never had anyone say anything about my age and my letters. Usually, I would get something like "Latinas join sororities?" if anything. But oftentimes, someone will come up to me and say "my cousin is in that sorority!" or something positive. I have even run into sisters around town who I did not know yet because they saw me in letters. That's always fun.

Maybe it is different for NPC sorority members, but I love seeing ladies well into their 40s, 50s, and beyond wearing their sorority letters when out and about. It would look funny at work, though.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Yeah, I live in an area of DC that is quite... liberal and crunchy, if you know what I mean. People are quite vocal in their opinions, and while my fiance has had plenty of negative comments and one physical threat because of his shirts (he's very Replublican), I didn't think anyone would care about letters being worn.
I freaking HATE people like this - who say the Republicans are the Antichrist but act like jerks to anyone who doesn't share their views. Total a-holes. Lead me to them, I feel like punching someone.

That's when you wear your W t-shirt with your open sorority jacket over it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

That's when you wear your W t-shirt with your open sorority jacket over it.
Only in Texas!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's see, I have crossed into my thirties. I have my blazer with coat of arms patch that I sometimes wear to alumni events. When the weather is cool and I am on the river rowing I generally wear my old letter sweat shirts and if cold enough I wear a wool warm up jacket with letters. If the sun is really bright I have a ball cap with letters that keeps the glare out of my eyes. I have been known to wear my pin to alumni events. I could care less what some random GDI has to say. I could care even less if any comments were forthcoming from some jerk who belonged to some sort of bottom feeder house of which he wasn't proud enough to wear his own letters. I don't see this as a fashion statement but rather as a matter of comfort and convenience. I sure as hell am comfortable showing my letters. I'd probably wear my old high school letter sweater (warmest damned sweater I ever had) if my sister hadn't helped herself to it years ago. Around the office its pretty much conservative three piece suits, button down shirts, and repp ties. At home its pretty much khakis, flannels, or cords and tweed jackets if I am going out. I haven't changed how I dress since forever and I see little reason to change now.