GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,251
1 members and 1,250 guests
No Members online

Old 05-16-2008, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I don't blame them for being tired of it.

At the graduate level, I haven't seen too many chapters only invited to stuff to step. But at the undergraduate level, it seems the only time the university or other student organizations wanted our presence was if we were going to step. I remember when a fraternity was invited to step at the state fair for some kids and it worked out very well. But surely they could've done something other than step.

BTW, what's up with the Philly Greek? Is the Philly NPHC going to bring it back to its glory days?
We aren't only invited to step but I think the Alumnae chapters are contacted to step at city events because these days, since stepping (lately due to movies like "Stomp the Yard") has become so commercial and since people now know that it started with the BGLO's, everyone wants steppers at their events no matter what the event is for. The undergrads get invited to perform at colleges but for other events, the alumnae chapters are called on. The part that makes me mad is that we are so eager to get out there and show the community who we are that the groups often do go and perform. They feel like some representation is better than no representation but I don't see it that way. I think that if we want them to stop thinking about us only in terms of stepping then we have to stop stepping every damn where....especially at events that are completely unrelated. As for the greek, we are still having it this year, as always in July. In recent years, they have been trying to play it down and not really advertise to the public. Unfortunately people these days are out of control and all kinds of unnecessary foolishness was occuring before and it was reflecting badly on the NPHC, so it will never be as big as it used to be back in the day, unless people change their horrible behavior and gutter butt ways overall and you know we don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
We aren't only invited to step but I think the Alumnae chapters are contacted to step at city events because these days, since stepping (lately due to movies like "Stomp the Yard") has become so commercial and since people now know that it started with the BGLO's, everyone wants steppers at their events no matter what the event is for. The undergrads get invited to perform at colleges but for other events, the alumnae chapters are called on. The part that makes me mad is that we are so eager to get out there and show the community who we are that the groups often do go and perform. They feel like some representation is better than no representation but I don't see it that way. I think that if we want them to stop thinking about us only in terms of stepping then we have to stop stepping every damn where....especially at events that are completely unrelated. As for the greek, we are still having it this year, as always in July. In recent years, they have been trying to play it down and not really advertise to the public. Unfortunately people these days are out of control and all kinds of unnecessary foolishness was occuring before and it was reflecting badly on the NPHC, so it will never be as big as it used to be back in the day, unless people change their horrible behavior and gutter butt ways overall and you know we don't see that happening any time soon.
That really sounds great!!! I wish the best of luck to your areas event!!!

Where I am, we are not quite there with everybody wanting anyone to step... Moreover in my city, there is an fellow NPHC sorority that has very high ranking members in their chapter who would set some of the foolishness like "stepping everywhere" off.

However, it would nice to have an "overarching open house" into each affiliate of the NPHC. I just think in my city with some exception, ownership to that grand idea is still too much "crabs in a barrel mentality".

Also, I am constantly asking why my grad chapter is asked to look cute at key events, but few people are not SPONSORING our events needed to sustain the community???

Alas is falls on deaf ears...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I don't blame them for being tired of it.

At the graduate level, I haven't seen too many chapters only invited to stuff to step. But at the undergraduate level, it seems the only time the university or other student organizations wanted our presence was if we were going to step. I remember when a fraternity was invited to step at the state fair for some kids and it worked out very well. But surely they could've done something other than step.

BTW, what's up with the Philly Greek? Is the Philly NPHC going to bring it back to its glory days?
that is a GOOD question. i need to rendezvous with my Kap... i mean, fellowship with the sorors.

but umm, some brotherly love wouldnt be bad either!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The program went well on Saturday and the table displays were very nice. Mostly undergrads stopped by who already knew about our orgs. We also had some high school seniors come by who were going off to college soon and were curious. We also talked to some parents with their younger children. It was a good day and we were really tired at the end of the day because later that evening, we had a bowling party which was a huge success. Some of the Philly NPHC members that we were with at the "Meet the Greek" came out to support us. We had a ball! The DJ was good...Turned the bowling alley out, got our stroll on. I didn't get home until 2:30am...long long day.

Soror tld221, you missed it girl! Your chapter sorors from Eta Nu Sigma came down from New York to support us. That was really cool. I have been trying to send you a PM but your mailbox is too full.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry that I missed this event. I already had a family commitment. I am glad there was a good turnout.

*I miss the Greek Picnic stepshow* which was another way to weed people out because they were not going to pay for the show.