GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,307
1 members and 2,306 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommendation letter - I have no one to give me one.

I have been informed that the school I am going to be rushing is really big on Rec letters. I'm not going to tell you the school for privacy reasons.

I was just wondering what should I do? I mean, I don't know anyone who has ever been in a sorority, whether that is I know them personally or friends of friends.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you read any of the posts in this forum? If not, do some reading. There are tons and tons of threads addressing how to get recs.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I had done a search using my schools name and "recs" as well as "rec letters" but I will keep on reading. :] Thank you very much.

Are they just scattered through Sorority recruitment or is there a sub forum for them?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Use "recommendation" not "rec."

Do you have adult friends/employers? Do your parents have adult friends/co-workers? Did you have teachers or counselors at school? What about Sunday School teachers, friends from church, other organizations? These are all places to check for recs. Ask if they are Greek. Do they have any friends who were in ABC, XYZ or whatever groups you need? You'll be surprised what a little networking will turn up.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll give you a few suggestions on getting started with pre-recruitment that really helped my daughter get recommendations. Caveat: this only gets you the admiration of the recommender, sorority members decide on members and I have no way of knowing any of that.

Go to the sorority national websites for the chapters represented at your school and download the recommendation forms if they are available. *MY* perception of what a sorority would want based upon the recommendation forms my daughter and I have seen is academics, activities, scholarship, leadership, and community service. Hopefully, as a high school senior, you have a stable filled with these qualities!

Prepare a resume of one or two pages which quickly leads the reader to these qualities of yours.

Prepare a letter of one or two pages which expounds and details specifics of the above.

Get a transcript from your school. Get a head shot and full body photo to go along with the above.

Be ready to send all of the above, with a nice handwritten thank you note, to the people you find to write your recommendation. Keep asking people around you. Ask your relatives to keep asking their close friends.

Start now. It takes time. Some alumnae know how to do recruitment forms. Some don't. Be prepared to give the alumna everything she needs to allow the chapters to know you as much as possible before they see and talk with you. Remember, if you have the admiration of the recommendation writer, even if she can't say she has known you for 18 years, she can make you look your best!

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterDad View Post
I'll give you a few suggestions on getting started with pre-recruitment that really helped my daughter get recommendations. Caveat: this only gets you the admiration of the recommender, sorority members decide on members and I have no way of knowing any of that.

Go to the sorority national websites for the chapters represented at your school and download the recommendation forms if they are available. *MY* perception of what a sorority would want based upon the recommendation forms my daughter and I have seen is academics, activities, scholarship, leadership, and community service. Hopefully, as a high school senior, you have a stable filled with these qualities!

Prepare a resume of one or two pages which quickly leads the reader to these qualities of yours.

Prepare a letter of one or two pages which expounds and details specifics of the above.

Get a transcript from your school. Get a head shot and full body photo to go along with the above.

Be ready to send all of the above, with a nice handwritten thank you note, to the people you find to write your recommendation. Keep asking people around you. Ask your relatives to keep asking their close friends.

Start now. It takes time. Some alumnae know how to do recruitment forms. Some don't. Be prepared to give the alumna everything she needs to allow the chapters to know you as much as possible before they see and talk with you. Remember, if you have the admiration of the recommendation writer, even if she can't say she has known you for 18 years, she can make you look your best!

Good luck!
Good job, CopterDad. Anyone writing letters for your daughter would have an easy time! I hope you aren't really a "copter" dad, though.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL. No, I was a Little League manager way too long in a really competitive baseball league to let myself get to that point with my kids.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterDad View Post

Good luck!

Thank you for all the info! Now I just need to find some alumnae to write me some letters. So far I've asked everyone I know to ask around at their work to see if they know anyone, but so far no luck. I've emailed my local alumnae group in hopes to get in contact with someone locally who could help me, but so far I'm unsure if I am doing the right thing but contacting them.

Any advice on actually finding someone?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you just asking your peers? You need to be asking adults. Have you talked with your high school counselor? Most of them know Greeks because they get asked about students for rec information. Anyone you know who is a college graduate is someone you should ask.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Ask:

older friends
friends' siblings
siblings' friends
parents' friends
friends' parents
parents' coworkers
family friends
babysitters
HS teachers/staff/activity sponsors
bosses/coworkers
women from your place of worship if applicable

When you find one sorority woman, she may know of others, even if her sorority doesn't have a chapter at your school. Many NPCs allow actives from other chapters to write recs. Ask men and fraternity men, they may point you in the direction of sorority women.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Or you could just keep posting to Greekchat about your rec finding frustrations and hope that the sorority women here will write recs for you. Because no one has ever tried that subtle and creative approach before.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you mention something about getting in touch with local alumnae groups? If you have local alum groups, then you have alums! Do you have a Panhellenic Alum Assoc in your area? That is a very good place to get in touch with alums in your area. Go to the national panhellenic website and do a search for a group in your area. Also, if you know older girls from your town who were in sororities in college, they may be able to tell you who wrote recs for them.
Don't give up!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Are you just asking your peers? You need to be asking adults. Have you talked with your high school counselor? Most of them know Greeks because they get asked about students for rec information. Anyone you know who is a college graduate is someone you should ask.
I'm not in high school anymore. And, I am asking EVERYONE I know. This includes old teachers, employers, boyfriends family/friends, people in other states that I know are even asking their employers. Still, no one.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Ask:

older friends
friends' siblings
siblings' friends
parents' friends
friends' parents
parents' coworkers
family friends
babysitters
HS teachers/staff/activity sponsors
bosses/coworkers
women from your place of worship if applicable

When you find one sorority woman, she may know of others, even if her sorority doesn't have a chapter at your school. Many NPCs allow actives from other chapters to write recs. Ask men and fraternity men, they may point you in the direction of sorority women.
I've done all this already. The problem is my social network is COMPLETELY void of ANYONE greek. I know two girls who are currently in a sorority at my school, but they haven't gotten back to me on if they know anyone that could give me a rec letter.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Or you could just keep posting to Greekchat about your rec finding frustrations and hope that the sorority women here will write recs for you. Because no one has ever tried that subtle and creative approach before.
Wow. Really? Just because others try this, doesn't mean I am. I HAVE NOT asked and am NOT subtly hinting at this. I have been 'lurking' on this website for long enough to know that is a serious no-no.