GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,213
1 members and 2,212 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amanda6035
*Edit* i just realized thatmost of the girls participating on this thread are NOT AZDs, so I apologize to MY SISTERS for the comment: It embarrasses me to know that there are girls that i'm supposed to call "my sisters" on a national level, who are SO shallow that they would make fun of an older girl for joining
I'm sorry but I just have to say this: as a member of a pretty large national sorority (or any organization with more than one chapter for that matter), you do not get to pick every single girl who will be your sister. You have to trust that the girls who are actives now will do a good job of recruiting quality girls. You will never meet every single AZD out there, and you do not have to like every single one of them. However, you *should* respect them all for the fact that they are your sisters and they share AZD with you. You need to understand that recruitment works differently in various schools in different parts of the country, and while a 27 year old might not have a problem joining in one chapter, a different chapter might not be willing to give the same exact woman a bid. It's a little harsh to say that you're embarassed to call these girls your sisters, and, I'm sure, that you and your chapter have at some point done things that would have made other AZD's embarassed too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amanda6035
Winnie, if you'll go back and read what i said, I stated: To avoid rude catty girls such as the ones you describe. I never said that I thought you were the catty one - I was talking about "girls in general" who are...

33...do you have to have the last word? And no. I'm not going to DEAL with it. See, when you "deal" with stupid people, then your standards go south, and when your standards go south, everything turns to crap. I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't join "crap."
It has nothing to do with the last word, I'm replying now since you don't seem to understand what I said. ALL of our national sororities have members who are wonderful, nice, sweet and intelligent. They also ALL have members who are mean, catty and dumber than a piece of paper. Does that make me happy? No. But none of our chapters are perfect...sometimes we make mistakes in membership selection...and sometimes different chapters are just different. I know for a fact that some of our chapters would have never invited me back to first round, let alone given me a bid. I also know for a fact that I would have been very uncomfortable in some of our chapters and not wanted to join there. As long as we keep rushing the way we rush, this is going to be a fact of life.

With the OP not telling us what her school is like, it's hard for us to know whether a 27 year old rushing would be accepted, and no one wants to say "why yes, go through rush at Supercompetitive Southern U and you will definitely get a bid." There have been too many people who've come to GC, got their hopes built up and then were disappointed. So if we sound gruff or bitchy, it's because we'd rather a person was prepared for the worst, rather than expecting the best and being upset.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I think the only advice anyone here should be giving PNM's on recruitment is; if they want to rush then they should give it a try.

I don't like to see a GCer "blow sunshine" up a PNM's arse, but I also don't like when a GCer comes on and says "well I hate to burst your bubble, but XYZ university is very competitive and you probably won't get a bid". It's almost like that GCer is trying to say, well you probably won't get a bid, so don't even bother trying.

Every campus is different. While on a campus like mine a 27 year old sophmore would have a good chance at getting a bid, she might not on another campus.

I think the best piece of advice us GCers can give to a PNM is "go through recruitment and give it your best. Just remember that you are not guaranteed a bid, and recruitment can be a highly competitive process depending on your school" And leave it at that. The PNM will know soon enough if Greek life is for them, and to the PNM's "GREEK LIFE IS NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF UNIVERSITY LIFE. If you do not get a bid, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD".
Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Amanda6035, I PM'd you! =)
Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

33girl, I think I love you.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 AM

So what are you so afraid of?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of, a love there is no cure for.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to the girls who are supporting me and clearing up all my doubts...You are the Best!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an update for everybody regarding the 27 joining a sorority topic.

Reading all the posts in this thread and also some for the alumnae option. I decided to contact some alumnae chapters in my area, I got answer from them and then doing some research I found out that most of the members in alumanae chapters are over 35 years old, and most of the members were around 60 years old!
I felt kind of awkward since I get along better with younger people.
Now I'm more confused than before.
What do I do?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Don't get discouraged

Not all alumnae associations have an average age of 50 or so, though I must say I know LOTS of "older" alumnae and they inspire me to stay involved!!!! My assoc has the average age of 25! I'm an older one at 28! Eesh! It really depends on what you are looking for. The fact that you researched is good. Don't get discouraged....depending on your location, there are probably many more young alum out there that have not "discovered" the association yet.

If you are in college, check out the college chapters. What do you have to lose? I mean, really, everyone on here can load you up with the positives or the "hard truths," but not many will know your school.....so the advice won't always hold water. Check it out. Have fun doing it and just see what happens!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree -- check all your options. And should the alumnae association/age thing give you pause, some additional points to consider: 1) I know when I was in college, my best friend was in her 50s; even now my boyfriend is 20 years older than me, 2) sororities have a habit of having 'big sisters' -- so having members who are older than you is a nice benefit, 3) while ages may differ, aspects and takes on life seem to level out more once past a certain age, so the differences in interests may not prove as large as you anticipate, 4) YOU could become the inspiration for other younger alums to get involved! Good luck as you continue to evaluate.