GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,518
3 members and 1,515 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 01-04-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Nicknames/Class Names

I'm not sure about this topic and if it is a good idea, but I thought I would put it out there (hopefully get this board busy) and see.

Many sororities seem to have pledge class names and then individual names for their pledges. Does any of your chapters participate in this? If so, how did you choose names? And if you wouldn't mind, what is yours?

We haven't gotten really into the whole name issue at my undergrad chapter. For each class, we really just say things like "Yeah, for the glorious gammas","amazing alphas", "beautiful betas" etc. (We are up to Deltas this year!! )

Do you think that having names provides unity for the group? Would you encourage the adoption of names (positive of course)?

Again, I'm not sure how this post will be received but I thought it was an interesting question and I am always looking to learn interesting things from other chapters.

.slam.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:57 PM

NPC discourages things like class naming and "pledge" nicknames. So we don't really have those

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Right, I know that they are discouraged, but they still seem to exist...so that was more or less what my question was asking. I understand that names are considered "hazing" but I was still interested. On that note however, I was looking around various greek chat boards on here and it seems that the traditional black sororities/fraternities do have line names/pledge names. Is that something that is allowed in their respective greek councils?

Pardon me, if I have some of the terminology wrong as we do not have IFC/NPC/ and other groups which I do not know what their councils are ie, black/latina groups, at my alma mater.

Thanks for the response Jocelyn
Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PinkSigma3
I know that some sororities on my campus do pledge class names...they end up being chalked all over campus (very popular way of advertising on campus...if you want it seen, chalk it)
"Sassy Seven"
"Naughty Nine"
"Scandalous Six" << that group actually did it in chalk paint AND spelled it wrong...we all got a kick out of it

Im not sure which groups they were, they just put the names. Ive never heard of a sorority on my campus giving pledges names...but I KNOW the frats do it...I actually dont know some of the guys real names, only their pledge names because they are goofy names that end up sticking with them all through college.
Ex: A kid from a certain city out of state is nicknamed that name. Plays on last names...inside jokes...etc.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
My pledge class named ourselves. It was more aunity thing. We decided it one day at one of our meetings. We were the Spades. We had a lot of fun with it! But it was something we came up with on our own. I know you are looking for unity, but I don't think that doing everything for your pledgeclass (i.e. giving them names etc.) is necessarily a good idea. If they decided on something themselves then you wouldn't get in trouble for it. I think that giving each member a name is borderline hazing depending where you are at. I personaly would steer clear of it. I do suggest them meeting regularly to discuss general pledge class stuff and then if they want to come up with nick names or a name for their pledge class then go for it. It would probably mean more to do it themselves anyway. There was a lot of stuff that my pledge class did ourselves that brought us closer together that mean more to me than anything else because it makes fabulous memories!
SLAM
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PinkSigma3
I dont understand the NPC hazing rules like if it singles the new members out its hazing...so if they sisters have already done it before (like having a "pledge" name) is that hazing...bc all the older sisters have one too so the pledges get them?

I guess as everyone usually says...NPC is pretty vague. I dont know of any sorority that does pledge names, but I figured just as an example. I dont get the rules at all.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
One of the reason we don't name our classes is similar to the many reasons we don't haze....

While it may add class unity, it can (and does) hinder group unity.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I disagree with everyone that pledge names make an organization divided , even though they may be considered hazing [my sorority is local so its not subjected to typical rules & regulations] . in our organization each pledge gets a name based on their family name tradition and your name is picked out by your big . my pledge name is Callay after Colbie Callait and meaning sexiest diva . My family tradition is C with double letters . I feel that naming makes pledges feel more a part of the sorority and every sister has her own unique name based on your own personality so its interesting , like who you are becomes a part of the sorority but I've never seen anyone get offended or upset over it . most of the girls LOVE their pledge names . but we do not have official class names , except for inside jokes among the sorority . my class , Alpha Sigma <3, are called the Famous 5 amongst sisters because the day after we crossed , we had a post about us on juicycampus . and I again don't think it stagnates group unity because its a little something shared between you and your sisters .

Last edited by asdCallay; 03-25-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Just wanted to remind you that you bumped an old thread in a specific sorority's forum.

BUT, I did want to say that I think it's better to regulate nicknames than to get rid of them entirely. They can be very uplifting and meaningful.

ETA: And when you have a situation where they're a chapter tradition, and then suddenly they're not, an environment is created which automatically makes "old school" better than "new school."

Last edited by Senusret I; 03-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL! Sensuret, you're so Tri Sigma's hero!