GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,041
2 members and 1,039 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-16-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Job interview - PLEASE READ!

Ok, greekchat.com community, pull together for me, I need some advice and encouragment from ya'll. I just got a callback for a job I applied for about two weeks ago. I am wanting this job. It is too good to be true. About 15 people applied and they only picked 2 to interview. I am one of the two! I am so excited. I have a descent job now, but this one would mean about $10,000 more a year and an opportunity to work in e-business. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif Benefits out the ying-yang. I have three days (the interview is on thursday, at 3PM) to get my portfolio ready and prepare demonstrations.

The thing is that I have been at my current job for three years and havent gone on any practice interviews in the meantime, so my skills are kinda rusty. This will also be my first real job as an alumni. REAL ADULT JOB HERE staring me in the face. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/eek.gif I know all about the general interview stuff, eye contact, be prepared, be confident, be honest, yada yada. My question is what advice would you give me? What do you look for in an interviewer situation? I already dropped the alumni advisor thing on the resume. HELP! Hook a brother up! I'm terrified! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks

Old 10-16-2000, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lifesaver, when you say 'dropped the aumni advisor thing' do you mean dropped it in or dropped it out? I hope you mean in, I think that, depending on how you position it, could be a very positive think. Most interviewers do some sort of behavorial interviewing now. Behavioral interviewing basically says that past performance is indicative of future behavior. Make sure that you have a 'story' to tell about everything on your resume or everything that you say about your self. You are a leader huh? Well give me a concrete example of when you showed leadership capabilities. Are they looking for someone who is inovative and creative? What can you share with the interviewer about a time that you were innovative or creative? The best thing to do is take the ad or job discription and come up with examples for everything that they are looking for.

Have some great questions that will tell them that you know something about the company and you have something to contribute.

Get a friend to do a couple of mock interviews with you. If you really want to polish your presentation, video your self to see what little anoying habits you have that you don't recognize (i.e. tapping your foot, clicking a pen, playing with your hair, etc) that may be distracting to the interviewer.

Good luck....I'll take my coaching fee in cash please!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif
Old 10-16-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on getting an interview!! If you mean you removed your position as an advisor from your resume...well, I really can't say if that was the "right" decision or not since you didn't mention what type of positions it is. You only mentioned you'd have the opportunity to work in e-business (YAY). Having Alum Advisor on your resume could be interpreted as showing responsibility and trustworthiness, leadership/supervisory/team leader skills, planning and implementation skills, etc. On the other hand, it could be a mark against you because the interviewer may be a "greek-hater" and view you as someone who "could not let go," even though you know you accepted the position out of love for the organization. The advice I've been given regarding adding your greek afiliation to your resume is unless you've had significant leadership experience (president of the chapter, implemented a new program, held national or regional office, you know the "big" stuff) leave it off. BUT that's not to say you can't work it into the interview. Almost every interviewer will ask you to tell him/her why you're qualified for the position. Being greek is part of your experience and if you can relate it to the position, go for it.

OH, I ditto what Eclipse said (including the part about the coaching fee LOL)

------------------
Kelli
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
12-Delta Nu-94
MAL, Southern Region
Savannah State University c/o 1997
Old 10-16-2000, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Lifesaver, I sent you an email. I hope it helps!!!

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Old 10-16-2000, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Thumbs up

Lifesaver,
Good luck. I would not have dropped the alum advisor portion...it led to several questions in my interview about leadership skills, I was able to point to that experience in addition to work experience, showing leadership of people, not just for work.

The most important advice I can give you: be yourself. Don't try to come across as something you are not.

By the way, I'm in E-Commerce. I highly suggest you do some on-line research at Infoworld.com...they have lots of articles on the industry.

Also by the way, I have a job interview tomorrow as well...might be making a move up at a competitor!

Again, best of luck.
Old 10-17-2000, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

sorry for the confusion in the grammar.

I ment I dropped the advisor thing ONTO the resume. I had been four executive officer positions in my chapter, IFC VP and was one of the re-founding fathers after our chapter underwent a house cleaning. I figured the greek affiliation would be more of a plus than a negative.

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming. I am in a frantic race to get my portfolio in order by thursday.

Eclipse and 12dn94, wont you accept stock options? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
Old 10-19-2000, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I just got done with my interview. It went really well. I'll find out Monday morning wither I got the position or not. Cool part, it is for $2,000 more a year than I first thought! YEAAAHHH

Anyway, the job is split into two main areas of resp. I had one of them down 100%, and the other I am in the process of learning. So if I don't get the position, that is why. The interviewer told me that he has hired many people, but my cover letter was the best one he's ever read. And if that's the kind of work I produce, I should have no problem getting the job. I am just trying to be realisitic at this point. It was a good interview, and I can always learn from that.
Old 10-19-2000, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
lifesaver- Congrats on doing well on your interview and good luck!!! Please let us know how it turns out!!

ZetaAce
Old 10-24-2000, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It's all about the good news today on greekchat.com

First mgdzkm433 gets engaged...

then....

I got the JOB!!!!!!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

WAHHHOOOOOO!!!

The best part is that they offered me $4,000 above starting!!!! Now I can get my car fixed!!

I'ts gonna feel so good today at 5 when I get to go give my 2 weeks to my boss! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support. You guys are the best! Virtual drinks on me!
Old 10-24-2000, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations lifesaver!!! I am so happy for you, and good luck at your new job :-)
Old 10-24-2000, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

<high five's lifesaver>

we are just the cool 'bearers of good news'!

Congrates babe!
Old 10-25-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Cool

WAY TO GO LIFESAVER!!!!! You were in my prayers, I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your new job!

---------------------------------------------
"...Test me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Mal 3:10 (NIV)
Old 10-25-2000, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Congrats Lifesaver! Good for you!

My interview went well also. I've also been approached by three other companies since then, so looks like things are looking up for me, I just need to figure out which direction to go in. They're all good opportunities, just in slightly different industries. With #3 on the way, I definitely need to do something....
Old 10-30-2000, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

How cool is this? I just found out that my boss is a Delta Zeta! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif I don't know from where yet, but how cool is that? Just wanted to share.
Old 10-30-2000, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

Congratulations, lifesaver! And best of luck to you, LXAAlum. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies