GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,451
3 members and 2,448 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Most sorority girls come from rich families? - Arizona State University

I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about rush, and got a lot of helpful responses. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this dilemma I'm having (Or this situation that I'm kind of psyching myself out over!)

As most people already know, there are just as many people who dislike the greek system as there is who support it. Obviously I'm interested in going greek when I transfer to ASU, but I've had more than an earful from others around me (Family and friends - mainly friends).

I'm not usually one to psych myself out when it comes to what others have to say about my decisions (Such as going greek) but recently a friend told me the only girls who are able to keep up with the greek system are the girls who come from rich families and don't have to work while going to college. - I don't come from a rich family (They're not poor, but I know for a fact they can't afford to pay for sorority dues. - And I've always worked while I was going to school to pay for my own stuff, even in high school.)

I really didn't pay much attention to what my friend said at first (I brushed it off as her trying to talk me out of joining a sorority). In time though, I did start thinking about what she said, especially the last month or two since Fall is approaching. Sororities have events nearly every week at ASU from what I understand; meaning outfits for the events - like formals (Which adds up along with tuition)

As I said before, I'm psyching myself out about all this, and was wanting to get a word of wisdom from those who know about ASU sororities (Or even greeks who attend other large universities with active sorority events taking place around their campus) Is it hard to keep up with the greek society if you work? Better yet, are you looked down on if you don't come from a rich family?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007May View Post
I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about rush, and got a lot of helpful responses. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this dilemma I'm having (Or this situation that I'm kind of psyching myself out over!)

As most people already know, there are just as many people who dislike the greek system as there is who support it. Obviously I'm interested in going greek when I transfer to ASU, but I've had more than an earful from others around me (Family and friends - mainly friends).

I'm not usually one to psych myself out when it comes to what others have to say about my decisions (Such as going greek) but recently a friend told me the only girls who are able to keep up with the greek system are the girls who come from rich families and don't have to work while going to college. - I don't come from a rich family (They're not poor, but I know for a fact they can't afford to pay for sorority dues. - And I've always worked while I was going to school to pay for my own stuff, even in high school.)

I really didn't pay much attention to what my friend said at first (I brushed it off as her trying to talk me out of joining a sorority). In time though, I did start thinking about what she said, especially the last month or two since Fall is approaching. Sororities have events nearly every week at ASU from what I understand; meaning outfits for the events - like formals (Which adds up along with tuition)

As I said before, I'm psyching myself out about all this, and was wanting to get a word of wisdom from those who know about ASU sororities (Or even greeks who attend other large universities with active sorority events taking place around their campus) Is it hard to keep up with the greek society if you work? Better yet, are you looked down on if you don't come from a rich family?
Don't start psyching yourself out now.. especially about this.

There are PLENTY of sorority women who don't come from rich families, and there are also plenty that work during college. I had sisters that had to pay for school and the sorority all on their own. It can be done.

The key is time and money management. And a word of advice - if you can't afford something like a brand new, expensive dress for a formal event, don't buy one! Borrow one. Girls exchanged/borrowed dresses from each other in my chapter all the time. Either that, or hit up the discount racks. You can find some really great dresses for cheap.

Most chapters are willing to work with you on dues, as well. Many people here have mentioned that their chapters set up payment plans, so that rather than paying one lump sum on day 1, you can make weekly or monthly payments over the course of the semester.

Either way, don't let it stress you out! If you're willing to work for some extra cash and you can make the dues payments, everything else will fall into place.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on the dress exchange. We borrowed dresses all the time. Also, some chapters include t-shirts and other items in the cost of dues. Our rush tees and other sisterhood event items were like this. Others (date party, formal, etc...) we bought if we liked. Also, if sororities have a meal plan, it's often comparable to the university cafeterias if you live in the dorms. You've got to eat. The best thing you can do is keep an open mind. Usually during recruitment financial information is made available. That's going to be your best source.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, I don't know specifically about your school, but we had one formal each semester. We usually had a semi formal/casual (think wedding reception, nice restaurant attire) each semester. Everything else, we usually wore regular clothes. We didn't buy a new outfit for every mixer. Also, graduating sisters would pass on a lot of lettered items to younger members. It was a great way to build your wardrobe without going broke, and they felt good that our letters were being taken care of.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Are the friends who are telling you this stuff even Greek? I mean how would they really know anything about us if they are not Greek themselves? I come from a very big Greek school with huge expensive houses and maybe one of the most expensive ones to be at. There are girls who come from rich families and girls who have to work and everything in between. I think you should go for it and decide if it's for you through experiencing it and not listening to anyone else who is trying to take away your dreams!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of sorority women at Arizona State University work. A lot work for the University, some are RA's and even more work in the restaurants and shopping malls around the University.

Yes, the women have events almost weekly but a lot of that is covered in your dues. T-shirts and other things usually are not. Do you need new outfits for every event NO. A lot of these women borrow things. There is usually only 1 formal per semester and then date dashes ect.

There are some wealthy women in the Chapters at ASU but also just middle class type folks whose families I would not consider wealthy.

There are always going to be the folks who hate Greek Life. The good far out weighs the bad. The opportunities you will have being Greek will amaze you. You will grow and learn a lot about yourself in the process. It is a time commitment and it does cost money but your membership will pay you back in ways in never imagined.

Good luck to you. I hope you find your home in Greek Life at ASU.

Last edited by AXOrushadvisor; 06-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Also, remember....everything in your wardrobe magically becomes new as soon as you step on campus, unless you're going to college with everyone from your high school who has seen it already.

I'm speaking from long-ago experience, but sorority formals are not like proms. There's not as much pressure to get the "perfect" dress, and as many people have said, lots of girls borrow from each other.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You won't need new clothes or a different formal every weekend.

We had social events almost every week, but most of them were mixers or sisterhoood events, not huge expensive deals.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure what the trends are in Arizona but to keep expenses down, invest in a few nice classic pieces rather than a bunch of trendy clothes that you'll have to replace every season.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

So true about formals not being like prom. Usually a couple days before, we'd haul dresses into the chapter room in our dorm wing and try them on. It was like playing dress up with your friends when you were little. Good times!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

We all definitely swapped dresses or bought them off season (ie, get a dress after Christmas when all of those cocktail dresses are like 50-75% off), I only bought a new dress when I needed one for another event anyways