GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,338
0 members and 2,338 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Would love opinions!

Hey, everyone! I'm a new member to the site, but have been on before and seen how great you all are helping everyone and I learned most of what I know now about Greek life from different posts! I'm in a confusing situation at the moment and would love to hear opinions from you all. (:

I'm a freshman at a northeast school (not a huge emphasis on greek life, but it's definitely there) and have applied to transfer to a big school in southern California with a much greater emphasis on greek life. I just went through formal recruitment at my current school (it's held in the spring) and love the sorority I ended up in! I do like the school I'm at and love the girls in the sorority I'm in, but I'm really hoping to transfer in the fall to my dream school. I just learned that the sorority I'm in currently isn't at the other school and so torn about whether or not to go through initiation in a few weeks. While I'd love to remain a sister in the chapter I'm in now, I'd hate to only get half a year of true Greek life and have to already become an alumni when the chance to rush again in the fall is available. The main issue that comes is whether or not I will for sure get into the new school. If I don't, I'd hate to wait until the spring again if I stay at the same school and overall be uncertain about whether I would as I'd only want to end up in the same sorority and don't know how something like that would go. I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone who's gone through a similar situation as I'm really torn and don't have any older mentors I could talk to that have been in a similar situation.

Thanks, everyone! (:

Last edited by emily85889; 03-16-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you know exactly the pros and cons. I can't imagine you're going to get much in the way of help since absolutely no one will tell you to drop your sorority. If you must, you must, but that is way too big a decision to take from strangers, especially since you understand the repercussions of doing so. Education is first, sorority is at least second. If you need to transfer in order to get the education you want/need, then that has to take priority over your membership. If you are transferring for a vision of the social life you think you'll have, that is a very dangerous risk to take.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily85889 View Post
Hey, everyone! I'm a new member to the site, but have been on before and seen how great you all are helping everyone and I learned most of what I know now about Greek life from different posts! I'm in a confusing situation at the moment and would love to hear opinions from you all. (:

I'm a freshman at a northeast school (not a huge emphasis on greek life, but it's definitely there) and have applied to transfer to a big school in southern California with a much greater emphasis on greek life. I just went through formal recruitment at my current school (it's held in the spring) and love the sorority I ended up in! I do like the school I'm at and love the girls in the sorority I'm in, but I'm really hoping to transfer in the fall to my dream school. I just learned that the sorority I'm in currently isn't at the other school and so torn about whether or not to go through initiation in a few weeks. While I'd love to remain a sister in the chapter I'm in now, I'd hate to only get half a year of true Greek life and have to already become an alumni when the chance to rush again in the fall is available. The main issue that comes is whether or not I will for sure get into the new school. If I don't, I'd hate to wait until the spring again if I stay at the same school and overall be uncertain about whether I would as I'd only want to end up in the same sorority and don't know how something like that would go. I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone who's gone through a similar situation as I'm really torn and don't have any older mentors I could talk to that have been in a similar situation.

Thanks, everyone! (:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
It sounds like you know exactly the pros and cons. I can't imagine you're going to get much in the way of help since absolutely no one will tell you to drop your sorority. If you must, you must, but that is way too big a decision to take from strangers, especially since you understand the repercussions of doing so. Education is first, sorority is at least second. If you need to transfer in order to get the education you want/need, then that has to take priority over your membership. If you are transferring for a vision of the social life you think you'll have, that is a very dangerous risk to take.
What DubaiSis said.

You know the pros and cons. The decision is ultimately up to you.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You should talk to your chapter adviser or NM adviser, if you have one. It's possible they will let you delay initiation until you know about your acceptance.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 PM

I would talk honestly with your big sister and nm educator and explain the situation. They may be able to hold over your initiation or even postpone it for everyone (if you have a small pledge class, like 12 or less).
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Good advice from these sisters!
Best of luck to you....

Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Of course I am sure that you have factored these into your decision-making, but when will you find out if you have been accepted to the school in southern California? And how competitive is the recruitment process at that school?
You've got an almost sure thing now - including a lifetime of membership as compared with a possible bid and membership in the future.
Best wishes with making an informed decision.

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi