GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,603
0 members and 2,603 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't noticed this update- forgive me if it's already been posted.

According to Facebook, Oklahoma City University is open for (NPC) expansion. Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Alpha Xi Delta are presenting in the coming weeks. It would be a recolonization for Delta Zeta. OCU currently has three sororities- Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, and Alpha Phi.

It should be interesting to see how this one goes. A third fraternity was added almost three years ago (Fiji) after 3 years of only having two fraternities, and is still on very uneven footing with the other fraternities. They have not received their charter yet. Thanks to the current recruitment model, I don't see that being a problem for any colonizing sorority, but it should be interesting to watch!

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ

Last edited by Smile_Awhile; 03-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

(in response to the MN question about total, expansion and struggling chapters) I think they've found over time at different campuses that expansion, in and of itself, neither helps nor hurts the other chapters. And because it can sort of shake up the whole system, the struggling chapter can take this opportunity to re-establish itself. Plus, numbers alone don't necessarily answer the question. Total may not be a number anyone is happy with right now but they don't want to adjust it until the colony happens. Especially if most of the chapters are well over where they want to be. If total SHOULD be 110 but it's currently 140 and following RFM would make it 150, I could see where they don't want to fool with it just yet.

I don't know the details of the system at MN, but the "struggling" chapter might not be as far off as the raw numbers would seem.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2...niversity-fall
“The University plans to add one sorority per year for the next four years, Vice Provost for Student Affairs Jerry Rinehart said.”
Each campus is a different color horse, but does this make sense for Minnesota?

Will there be brand-new housing built?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Sister, I wouldn't jump for joy just yet. The day prior they were welcoming our organization to campus for the presentation. I took it as saying, "Welcome to the campus to present." I could be wrong and if I am, sory. Do we know for sure we were chosen as the new sorority to come on campus? If so, YAY!
Geez...guess I'm a little too excited about our expansion opportunities!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatrefoiled View Post
Geez...guess I'm a little too excited about our expansion opportunities!
Haha, no big deal! I think it's safe to say that all of us in this thread are incredibly excited for expansion information for all of our own organizations. I am with you on this one and I am super excited about the the prospect of us going back to some of these schools! Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
I haven't noticed this update- forgive me if it's already been posted.

According to Facebook, Oklahoma City University is open for (NPC) expansion. Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Alpha Xi Delta are presenting in the coming weeks. It would be a recolonization for Delta Zeta. OCU currently has three sororities- Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, and Alpha Phi.

It should be interesting to see how this one goes. A third fraternity was added almost three years ago (Fiji) after 3 years of only having two fraternities, and is still on very uneven footing with the other fraternities. They have not received their charter yet. Thanks to the current recruitment model, I don't see that being a problem for any colonizing sorority, but it should be interesting to watch!
It would be nice to see DZ recolonize since they are the only NPC closed at OCU. All groups would be active once again. However, I wish all groups making presentations the best of luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Excerpts from today's Murray State News...

"The final four in the search are Kappa Delta, Phi Mu, Delta Zeta and Gamma Phi Beta."

... and...

"Each sorority will have day-long presentations which include a reception, a private discussion with the committee and an open public forum with the Greek community. The dates for the presentations are from Feb. 15 to March 13."

http://www.thenews.org/2013/01/31/Greeks Narrow Sororities/
Excerpts from the Murray State News, Two of three sorority vists complete.

"Originally four groups were scheduled to visit Murray State, but Jason Hinson-Nolen, interim Greek Life coordinator, said Gamma Phi Beta is no longer in consideration for the new sorority coming in the fall.

He said Gamma Phi Beta is changing its national focus and doing some reorganization and it is over-committed [thus] deciding to drop out of the running for the new Murray State sorority."

... and...

The extension committee will make its vote for which sorority comes to Murray State in the fall on March 15.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Excerpts from the Murray State News, Two of three sorority vists complete.

"Originally four groups were scheduled to visit Murray State, but Jason Hinson-Nolen, interim Greek Life coordinator, said Gamma Phi Beta is no longer in consideration for the new sorority coming in the fall.

He said Gamma Phi Beta is changing its national focus and doing some reorganization and it is over-committed [thus] deciding to drop out of the running for the new Murray State sorority."

... and...

The extension committee will make its vote for which sorority comes to Murray State in the fall on March 15.

Well, fingers crossed for Kappa Delta because I worked with MSU KD alumnae in the APH.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Indiana University has officially opened for extension.

Pi Beta Phi will be closing its University of Wyoming chapter in May.

Sigma Nu is recolonizing at the University of Kentucky.

http://kykernel.com/2013/03/06/sigma...turning-to-uk/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 03-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As per Facebook, Gamma Phi Beta presented at Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL today!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Indiana University has officially opened for extension.
I thought there was already a third group invited to colonize this fall. Did someone pull out?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I thought there was already a third group invited to colonize this fall. Did someone pull out?
Yes, Tri Sigma decided to pursue other options.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Yes, Tri Sigma decided to pursue other options.
With 21 NPC chapters on campus, and Sigma Sigma Sigma pursuing other options, the following NPCs would be the only NPCs left to apply.

Alpha Sigma Tau
Delta Phi Epsilon (would be a re-colonization)
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa (would be a re-colonization)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

Pi Beta Phi will be closing its University of Wyoming chapter in May.
That chapter was the 1st NPC on campus in 1910, so sad to see any chapter close, especially an old one such as this.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
That chapter was the 1st NPC on campus in 1910, so sad to see any chapter close, especially an old one such as this.
It seems like Pi Phi has a streak going with closing chapters. As a proud Pi Phi mom, this makes me sad.