GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,623
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, ashlytts8731
» Online Users: 1,509
1 members and 1,508 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid mismatch / computer error?

Can someone explain this to me? I've researched bid matching and am still confused.

A girl prefs at three houses. She ranks all of the houses she attends to maximize her options. She ranks the houses: ABC, DEF, and XYZ. Let's say she isn't high enough to make ABC's quota, but she is the #1 at DEF. Is it still possible for her to get XYZ, her third choice, even though she is on the first list at her second choice?

Finally, is there any way to change a true error?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, is there a copy of the "Green Book" anywhere online?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered View Post
Also, is there a copy of the "Green Book" anywhere online?
No. Well, not for free anyhow.

You can purchase an electronic version from the NPC website:

http://www.npcwomen.org/store/s_publications.php
Old 09-07-2007, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can someone explain this to me? I've researched bid matching and am still confused.

A girl prefs at three houses. She ranks all of the houses she attends to maximize her options. She ranks the houses: ABC, DEF, and XYZ. Let's say she isn't high enough to make ABC's quota, but she is the #1 at DEF. Is it still possible for her to get XYZ, her third choice, even though she is on the first list at her second choice?

Finally, is there any way to change a true error?
In that situation, there SHOULD NOT BE any way for her to end up in XYZ if she's #1 at DEF.

(Not saying it couldn't happen for some strange reason, due to human/computer error, or retarded campus rules.)
Old 09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

How about the same scenario, but she's #5 at DEF, but #1 at XYZ? She should have received a bid to DEF since she's on the first list and it's her second choice, correct?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How about the same scenario, but she's #5 at DEF, but #1 at XYZ? She should have received a bid to DEF since she's on the first list and it's her second choice, correct?
Scenario
Quota = 10 (just to make it easy)

Her Pref Card:
ABC
DEF
XYZ

She's #15 at ABC, and they fill quota with 1-10 - NO MATCH

She's #10 at DEF
She's #1 at XYZ

She's a DEF, because it was #2 on her card, even though it seems XYZ wanted her more.

I think I remember hearing of a COUPLE campuses that would match her to XYZ if XYZ was a bunch smaller than the rest of the groups, but that would be against NPC rules (AFAIK).

Oh, and technically, she probably wouldn't be #1 at XYZ and #10 at DEF because first bid lists (the number of girls that add up to quota) are generally done in alphabetical order.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Scenario

Oh, and technically, she probably wouldn't be #1 at XYZ and #10 at DEF because first bid lists (the number of girls that add up to quota) are generally done in alphabetical order.
Correct. First bid lists (numbering whatever quota is) are done alphabetically and the second bid list is in order of preference. The reason it's done this way is because in the days of hand bidmatching, the alpha list makes it easier to find the woman who's name is called.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
She's #15 at ABC, and they fill quota with 1-10 - NO MATCH

Two questions, purely for informational purposes only.

If quota is 10, and there are 20 names on the bid list, and 10 girls are not matched, then the girls whose names are at the lower end of the alphabet are cut simply bc their names appear lower on the alphabetical list?

Is it reasonable to say that there is a higher percentage of "no match" situations for girls whose last names start with a letter later in the alphabet?

If these assumptions are reasonable, has the issue been raised on a large scale?

This scenario really supports the fact that a cut can very well be due to something random and non-personal.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
If quota is 10, the chapter's first bid list (of 10 names) is in alpha order. The second bid list (everyone else attending their pref parties...in your scenario, 10) would be in order of preference.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post

If quota is 10, and there are 20 names on the bid list, and 10 girls are not matched, then the girls whose names are at the lower end of the alphabet are cut simply bc their names appear lower on the alphabetical list?

Is it reasonable to say that there is a higher percentage of "no match" situations for girls whose last names start with a letter later in the alphabet?

If these assumptions are reasonable, has the issue been raised on a large scale?

This scenario really supports the fact that a cut can very well be due to something random and non-personal.

If Quota is TEN then only the first TEN girls are done alphabetically.

Everyone AFTER quota is then done in order of preference.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post

if quota is 10 for ABC, then the first bid list will have 10 names in alphabetical order. so it would look like this, no matter if girl A was 10th or girl I was first, because quota is 10.
1.A
2.B
3.C
4.D
5.E
6.F
7.G
8.H
9.I
10.J

the second bid list would have the rest of the girls in number order

11.Z
13. Q
14. BB
15. K
16. M
17. L
18. AA
19.GG
20.Y

so for Z to move up to the first bid list, one of the first 10 girls matches to another sorority or she doesn't have ABC on her preference card.

i can see where your concern about later in alphabet girls, but if a girl whose last name is Z, she would only be last on the first bid list, which is up to quota, so if quota was 20, she would be 20 and if she had XYZ on her preference card and she was on the first bid list when it came out she would be an XYZ. it is done alphabetically so when going through the cards, it is just easier.

if you don't recieve a bid and you have maximized your options, it means you were just too far down on a bid list, which is why quota additions are used. but if you suicided DEF and lets say your last name starts with a W, and you didn't make it onto the first bid list, it not because your name, its because you were not high enough (girl 45) and they filled quota(25) before they got to you.

hope this makes sense.

ETA: hahaha, it took me so long to write this, that other people answered it first!

seek the noblest
Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I do have a question about listing only one sorority...

Our panhellenic only let us list the sororities whose preference parties we attended. Since I only attended one, I was forced to suicide. Let's say quota was 25, and I was 24 on the bid list and 35 on the alpha list, it's plausible then that I didn't recieve a bid due to my placement on the alpha list and the fact that I only listed one sorority? Not looking for any sort of sugar-coated pat on the back, just trying to understand how this works!

Man, that's some complicated stuff.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi I have a question and I am hoping someone can help. I rushed this week. Went to seven sororities the first day. Then ranked my top five and my two alternates. I went the second day and received all of my top five and had great conversations and was told I was ranked straight 10's by one sorority by each girl who met me. Then the third day before rush I get a phone call telling me that I did not get a bid from one sorority including my two alternates. Is that possible? I feel like their must be an error.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

BTW - if you're asking this question because you received your 3rd choice, please be aware that the scenario you described is highly unlikely. Especially if you think it only happened to you.

If you had been describing a situation on a campus where multiple women were affected, it might be more plausible. (Some type of computer glitch.) Plausible, but not terribly likely.

(Though a few of the posters from Illinois can share an example of a problem they had there several years ago...but I think that was right around the time a new system was implemented. And it was a widespread problem that affected many women - not just one person who didn't match the way she wanted.)
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasmile View Post
(Though a few of the posters from Illinois can share an example of a problem they had there several years ago...but I think that was right around the time a new system was implemented. And it was a widespread problem that affected many women - not just one person who didn't match the way she wanted.)
That was my rush! It was actually in the middle, though, so corrected invitations were issued a few days later (we had a week off between rounds).