GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,885
Threads: 114,173
Welcome to our newest member, AnthonyDrusa

Old 05-06-2002, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I saw the show. I think it has the potential to be devistating for that chapter, and was terrible for fraternities as a whole.

I do agree that it was done very well -- as you would expect from TLC/Discovery.

Thank goodness it wasn't produced by MTV.
Delt - the UW chapter was closed as a result of one of the pledges in the young man's class committing suicide as a result of hell week.

I still think this really put a bad spin on what Initiation or Ritual is in a fraternity - this guy did NOT tell the truth - he talked about the hazing of hell week, and I am sure DKE's Ritual is not what was shown on the program....just the "build up" (which it really wasn't) to the actual initiation ceremony....my guess is that if they did go through the initiation ceremony following the previous event's of hell week - the point of the ritual was completely LOST on this class. (1) - All the guy could talk about was about the hazing activities, and (2) someone committed suicide as a result as well.

This isn't a wake up call for DKE, but for all Greeks, again - the media presenting the typical negative stereotype of the minority of chapters/individuals - let's face it, the bad things a few of us do will always get more ratings that the good and positives the vast majority do.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This isn't a wake up call for DKE, but for all Greeks, again - the media presenting the typical negative stereotype of the minority of chapters/individuals - let's face it, the bad things a few of us do will always get more ratings that the good and positives the vast majority do.
That's why the media presents these things though. If all they reported was ABC fraternity is doing X philanthropy and ignored all of the real problems in the greek system they'd be doing us a disservice.

It is the media's job to report on the flaws and scandals in our society. It is not our place to say that they are presenting negative stereotypes. We as greeks need to stop portraying those stereotypes (and disassociate those that do immediately). Until the Greek community as a whole can catch up to the rest of us in the 21st century I see no end to this stuff.

LHT,
Kevin
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma