GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,349
0 members and 1,349 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Woot - double post!

Belle - I think you pointed out on the "dream expansions" thread that Texas has a culture problem that needs to be addressed before expansion can be successful. As a total outsider looking in on this system purely through internet sources, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head regarding recruitment issues, too.

This, I think, is particularly problematic. The entire system (chapters and PNMs) continue to reward the bad behavior. No, not all chapters and PNMs, but enough of them to maintain the status quo.

After reading through some of the comments on GC, I read through the other site and I was amazed at the level of vitriol posted there, particularly in regards to who is participating in formal recruitment this year. I didn't even see just a couple of panhellenic posts to counter to the hate. Just, wow.
I've always wondered why Texas sorority membership hasn't "exploded" as many similar schools have recently (SEC schools, large state schools, etc...) I'm beginning to think it's because UT doesn't want bigger involvement in sororities. Idk, I'm sure their's a better answer. But then again I've always felt you can't "question" the way Texas does it, even on this site. Maybe that's just my perception though.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
It won't. Everyone who knows ANYTHING about UT rush knows this happens. Panhel can't tell them how to go about choosing their members and undoubtedly Pi Phi headquarters is allowing it to happen because the chapter is strong and stable.

I'm surprised to hear there were members trying to hold conversations. Could they have girls on the bubble? Could they actually need to build a flex list but can't give up the tradition for fear it will appear they're slipping? hmmmmm.
Maybe it's just that some members are embarrassed and are trying to the polite thing.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

RE: UT recruitment . . .

Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
In all honesty, and this is just my observation, those 3 groups have their own recruitment "list" of maybe 200 + a few more pnms. Not all of them will make that "cut", but I'm not that far off. There is another group on campus that is strictly for one religious group and then there is everybody else. Most, if not all of the "other" chapters are well aware of this and not naive at all. They go along their way and pledge the best girls for their chapter leaving these "chosen ones" out of their mix unless they have information otherwise. It is a most impressive selection process for the "other" groups. I have to say kudos to them for working it.
100% accurate

My sources tell me that there is a National Rep for every house this year and the dance party happened..so there you go.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Not surprising.
If you have not lived in Texas, especially in one of the big cities and been involved with Alumnae Panhellenic in securing recs as I was for years, you wouldn't believe it.

It all starts with what summer camp you go to every year as a little kid, then when you're a junior in High School you make your way to Austin for Roundup, where sorority girls are coming up to ask your name and where you are from, what HS, etc. (this happened to my daughter, who did not want go to UT) and then you go to the Panhellenic rush forums in your hometown.
The professional portfolio photographs, the letters, recs. It's unbelievable.

I did this as an Alumnae Panhellenic volunteer all through the 90's and looking back on the experience I just have to laugh. All the other Texas schools were heavy on recs but it was not a cut and dried issue like the process in Austin.

One of the challenges is that these particular houses might have up to 100 legacies to their chapter going through rush. There is no way that they only take legacies. The emotional disaster some of the mothers suffer is frankly ridiculous. "OMG how will she EVER get into Junior League if she is not in so-and-so!" Moms who sort of figure out that their daughter may not be a fit for their house at UT will then send their girl to another school (discussed in another thread) where their GLO is not perhaps so strong so she can be a strong candidate for pledging. At least she is not relegated to **shudder** having to pledge some house that is not as special at UT as her house was...

Hey, I was super naïve and thought my GLO was just wonderful everywhere. Such is the thinking of an active! When my husband's corporate moves meant we lived in other parts of the country and I joined alumnae groups to meet people, it was an eye-opener. Other groups that were not all that strong at my Alma Mater were super strong in places like, well, Texas.

It all comes out in the wash, doesn't it? And you meet so many wonderful women from every group. I loved every minute of my Panhellenic experiences working with those ladies. That's why I like this site. We're all from different parts of the country and from different GLO's and I just enjoy the shared experiences.

Last edited by AnchorAlum; 08-20-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Not surprising.
If you have not lived in Texas, especially in one of the big cities and been involved with Alumnae Panhellenic in securing recs as I was for years, you wouldn't believe it.

It all starts with what summer camp you go to every year as a little kid, then when you're a junior in High School you make your way to Austin for Roundup, where sorority girls are coming up to ask your name and where you are from, what HS, etc. (this happened to my daughter, who did not want go to UT) and then you go to the Panhellenic rush forums in your hometown.
The professional portfolio photographs, the letters, recs. It's unbelievable.

I did this as an Alumnae Panhellenic volunteer all through the 90's and looking back on the experience I just have to laugh. All the other Texas schools were heavy on recs but it was not a cut and dried issue like the process in Austin.

One of the challenges is that these particular houses might have up to 100 legacies to their chapter going through rush. There is no way that they only take legacies. The emotional disaster some of the mothers suffer is frankly ridiculous. "OMG how will she EVER get into Junior League if she is not in so-and-so!" Moms who sort of figure out that their daughter may not be a fit for their house at UT will then send their girl to another school (discussed in another thread) where their GLO is not perhaps so strong so she can be a strong candidate for pledging. At least she is not relegated to **shudder** having to pledge some house that is not as special at UT as her house was...

Hey, I was super naïve and thought my GLO was just wonderful everywhere. Such is the thinking of an active! When my husband's corporate moves meant we lived in other parts of the country and I joined alumnae groups to meet people, it was an eye-opener. Other groups that were not all that strong at my Alma Mater were super strong in places like, well, Texas.

It all comes out in the wash, doesn't it? And you meet so many wonderful women from every group. I loved every minute of my Panhellenic experiences working with those ladies. That's why I like this site. We're all from different parts of the country and from different GLO's and I just enjoy the shared experiences.
I did not see this when I lived in San Antonio, where my daughter graduated from high school and chose UT. Thankfully, she didn't want to rush.

I was active in the alumnae group, but I guess no one ever considered I wouldn't know the deal. DD never went to camp, or Roundup, and I never gave a thought that all the groups were as good as mine.

The flip side, though, was that I only saw one sorority woman in the whole time I was there put down another group. She came through the airport when we were greeting Convention attendees, and *literally* lifted her nose in the air with her finger while announcing the name of *her* group. It did not make me look kindly upon them ....
Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom went to UT (in the early 70's) but it's interesting that not one of her six daughters even considered going to school there. I think it is a great school- but they definitely have a unique student culture, not just in Greek Life but at the school overall.
Right now my mom is taking her final baby to move into the dorm almost a thousand miles from home. I joked with her on the phone and said I bet she might be one of a very few moms taking her "baby" to college twenty years after the first one!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Belle - I think you pointed out on the "dream expansions" thread that Texas has a culture problem that needs to be addressed before expansion can be successful
I think that was me. But honestly, the chapters at Texas are SO RUDE to the other chapters. It just amazes me (in a bad way).
Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiLife View Post
My mom went to UT (in the early 70's) but it's interesting that not one of her six daughters even considered going to school there. I think it is a great school- but they definitely have a unique student culture, not just in Greek Life but at the school overall.
Right now my mom is taking her final baby to move into the dorm almost a thousand miles from home. I joked with her on the phone and said I bet she might be one of a very few moms taking her "baby" to college twenty years after the first one!
I was at a colonization meeting for a uni nearby and the gal I was next to enlightened me about Texas recruitment. Holy crap. I would have never survived.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went to the dance party house having heard of it before. She said that it wasn't as bad as she expected and kind of fun. She did say that they had another room for talking to girls that they obviously had preselected (she wasn't one of them). She also said that for part of the time an active talked to her (and the other PNMs not in the other "special" room also had conversations with other actives). Even though she wasn't one of their preselected "chosen" ones and has no connections within this house, she got an invitation from them for round two, much to her surprise. Who knows what round three holds for her, but hopefully this showed her not to prejudge based on reputation. I'm coaching her to have an open mind, but sometimes that's hard with 18 year olds!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My out of state daughter successfully pledged a sorority at UT last year - this is her first year on the other side. As far as the PNM's knowing the ropes, my daughter learned about the dance party and other shenanigans within the first hour of talking to local Texas girls. So, they know what is coming. She didn't think it was rude, just silly - not the experience she was looking for. As mentioned upthread a few sororities are focused on ~200 girls from their HS, camp, church, whatever, and could fill a pledge class twice as big with those girls. Those sororities also rarely wear their letters around campus (because, try-hard), and in general keep to themselves or select few others. Not bad, just a different experience.

So, for future PNM's that read this, get those recs in, and work to make connections with girls in a few houses ahead of time (contact friends of friends, etc.). My daughter is having the time of her life!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I think that was me. But honestly, the chapters at Texas are SO RUDE to the other chapters. It just amazes me (in a bad way).
Ah! you're right. Belle mentioned the real estate problem, you mentioned the culture!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Love seeing the door chant videos that are being posted on Insta!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymeplease View Post
My out of state daughter successfully pledged a sorority at UT last year - this is her first year on the other side. As far as the PNM's knowing the ropes, my daughter learned about the dance party and other shenanigans within the first hour of talking to local Texas girls. So, they know what is coming. She didn't think it was rude, just silly - not the experience she was looking for. As mentioned upthread a few sororities are focused on ~200 girls from their HS, camp, church, whatever, and could fill a pledge class twice as big with those girls. Those sororities also rarely wear their letters around campus (because, try-hard), and in general keep to themselves or select few others. Not bad, just a different experience.

So, for future PNM's that read this, get those recs in, and work to make connections with girls in a few houses ahead of time (contact friends of friends, etc.). My daughter is having the time of her life!
Do you mind me asking where your daughter pledged?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiLife View Post
Love seeing the door chant videos that are being posted on Insta!
Coming from a school without door chants or door stacks - they're kind of terrifying! Awesome, but terrifying!