GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,193
1 members and 1,192 guests
3DGator
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

ut rush

i am going to ut next year from california... from what i have been reading i am very nervous about rushing!! does anybody have any advice and will not being from texas be a disadvantage for me?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm assuming you meant UT-Austin

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=texas

There are other threads but I didn't have time to thorougly search them for you. Do a thread title search for Texas and you can sort through the old ones for information relevant to your situation.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

yup ut austin...
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

You will need one rec per sorority. Contact everyone in your social circle to see if there are any parents, teachers, family friends, etc., who are sorority alumnae. UT is a very competitive recruitment and recs are important.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilonghorn View Post
i am going to ut next year from california... from what i have been reading i am very nervous about rushing!! does anybody have any advice and will not being from texas be a disadvantage for me?
Pi Phi
Theta
Kappa

Good Luck During Rush. If you want to know anything important.......shoot me a pm or something. I'm not sure if anyone else on here goes to Texas besides me.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Pi Phi
Theta
Kappa

Good Luck During Rush. If you want to know anything important.......shoot me a pm or something. I'm not sure if anyone else on here goes to Texas besides me.
Ignore the elitiest and keep an open mind during rush. You don't have to be in a "top tier" sorority to have a great experience.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Ignore the elitiest and keep an open mind during rush. You don't have to be in a "top tier" sorority to have a great experience.
Did I say anything about having to be in a "top tier" sorority? No, I don't think so. If I wanted to, I probably would have told her that she should only look at those houses. Thanks though, for you your concern.

Furthermore, is it possible for you to not be a heinous bitch for maybe just a second?.........oh, and before you call me names, try learning how to spell, "elitiest" is not a word. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting someone know what the really good houses are. Sorry, I don't blow smoke up people's asses and tell them garbage like , "Oh its ok sweetums.....each house is great and unique in their own way." That's bullshit. Some houses are far and away better than others, and it is especially true down here. Sororities are highly competitive and very selective. She's from California, I doubt she knows much about UT Fraternities and Sororities.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 05-11-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Removed obscenities and 'ranking'
Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Calilonghorn -
Perhaps before taking the advice of the man above me, you should see the perspective he's coming from. I believe there is an explanatory article on the front page of today's student newspaper at UT.

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-2897612.shtml

The chapters he has listed are all wonderful, but so are the other chapters on campus. You should really find out for yourself.
-Meg
Old 05-12-2007, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow there's some hostility in this thread lol...I would advise doing your research and just finding out which group of girls you clique with the best...keep an open mind and make sure you get all your questions answered...this is coming from a fraternity member, but I still think it is sound advice lol.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchmeg View Post
Calilonghorn -
Perhaps before taking the advice of the man above me, you should see the perspective he's coming from. I believe there is an explanatory article on the front page of today's student newspaper at UT.

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...-2897612.shtml

The chapters he has listed are all wonderful, but so are the other chapters on campus. You should really find out for yourself.
-Meg

Whatever it is you are trying to prove........you should let it go. I think that is extremely uncalled for and absolutely inappropriate. Are you an SAE at Texas? Do you know what happened with Tyler Cross? No.....probably not. People like you and the assholes at the Daily Texan Newspaper absolutely disgust me like nothing else. That newspaper has made a complete mockery of Tyler's death and turned it into a witch hunt against my fraternity. Then people like you take the baseless accusations and newspaper reports and turn it around on members of my fraternity as a way of trying to discredit their morals, character, values, opinions, etc.

We are all plenty upset about it, believe me.........You pulling up a goddamn article about it doesn't really help. Tyler Cross was a fine gentleman and a hell of person, and I am completely confident without question that none of his former pledge brothers or actives will be found at fault. I'm not surprised in the least that they wanted to and have investigated our chapter. He was a freshman in a fraternity who had alcohol in his system when he died. I can't think of a better place to start your investigation than the kid's own fraternity. But maybe that's just me. I can't believe the "Texan" even included the part about the investigation not turning up anything. I figure it would have left that part out.

..........Oh, and please tell me, What exactly is the "perspective" i'm coming from?? What the fuck does that even mean? I think I know what it is you are getting at.........and I'm really hoping that I'm wrong.

Thanks though for all of your help and your fine job of looking up newspaper articles. Congratulations.

Last edited by macallan25; 05-12-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the most important things you need to do is register with your Alumnae Panhellenic as soon as you can. The more recommendations you have, the better - so network with your family, family friends, teachers, etc., to get some personal recommendations. UT tends to have students from all over the country, so I don't think you will be at much of a disadvantage as far as that goes.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Did I say anything about having to be in a "top tier" sorority? No, I don't think so. If I wanted to, I probably would have told her that she should only look at those houses. Thanks though, for you your concern.

Furthermore, is it possible for you to not be a heinous bitch for maybe just a second?.........oh, and before you call me names, try learning how to spell, "elitiest" is not a word. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting someone know what the really good houses are. Sorry, I don't blow smoke up people's asses and tell them garbage like , "Oh its ok sweetums.....each house is great and unique in their own way." That's bullshit. Some houses are far and away better than others, and it is especially true down here. Sororities are highly competitive and very selective. She's from California, I doubt she knows much about UT Fraternities and Sororities.
If you think that's me being a heinous bitch to you, you've got perception problems. And I am far from blowing smoke up her ass. Besides, if they're so "top tier", how is someone from California going to get in? I'm being serious when I say that she should keep her options open, because not being groomed for rush from birth like a proper southern belle may limit her choices. Plus, while I'm sure it's nice to be in a top tier group and a huge southern uni, not everyone gets to, and they still have a great Greek experience. Plus, I'd rather be in the smallest house on campus and have it feel like home, than the most "top tier" group and hate every second of it.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Texas Beta
Alphafrog, was it necessary to start an argument?

On that note.. Marchmeg, you are a disgusting person for trying to use a tragedy as a personal attack. What the hell is wrong with you? The Daily Texan is extremely liberal and biased against the Greek community. There are thousands of UT students who dislike the Greek community for whatever their reasons and the paper reflects that.

Calilonghorn, if you are starting school in the fall, try to move down here sometime during the summer so you can meet other girls who are rushing and get something of an idea of what you like.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Beta View Post
Alphafrog, was it necessary to start an argument?
Just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

I know everyone in the south is all obsessed with tiers and being in the BEST sorority/fraternity on old row. But there is more to Greeklife than being top tier. I know it may not seem like it to an 18 year old freshman, or even an undergrad.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

She asked for advice about rush - so how's about instead of suggesting where she should pledge (which she is capable of figuring out on her own once on campus) we help her be able to pledge the house of her choice by equipping her with knowledge that will help at UT? Any UT actives out there who can walk her through recruitment?
My general suggestion (obviously I'm not a longhorn, although I did marry one!) is to check with UT Panhellenic about what to wear -sometimes Alumna Panhellenics have fashion shows sponsored by stores that show what to wear - I know Houston used to - you might check their websites and see if they list any stores. There are stores that specialize in equipping UT, SMU and A&M PNMs for rush - at the very least you could call and get some suggestions as to what to buy in CA for recruitment.
Carry a small notebook and pen in your purse to jot down names of the actives you talk to at each house - it's easy to forget when you have so many houses to visit.
It will be HOT. Dress and plan accordingly. HTH.
Closed Thread