GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,056
0 members and 2,056 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

As an african-american, this fact alone stopped me from applying to UA during the application process.

I really wanted a school with Greek Life and I heard Bama had the best, then I read this article in TIME:

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...,58980,00.html

And I agree with everyone, alumnae should be able to write recs and possible help out with recruitment, but in no way should they be directly involved in the membership process. When it comes to offering bids to members, that should be only for current chapter members to decide and alumnae should stay in their lane.

It still bewilders me that people are this bothered about race, that girl seemed extremely qualified and would have been a great addition to any chapter.

When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But is there clear evidence of unfair exclusion beyond hearsay?
In this situation, hearsay is by far the best kind of evidence that could exist. I can't imagine even the most hardened old bigot writing "Don't pledge the coloreds!" in a written document today.

An individual, using her name, saying "This is what went on during voting at our house" is far more conclusive evidence than 40 black girls rushing and all being cut. I mean, I know what conclusion I would draw from that sort of circumstantial evidence, but an eyewitness? Speaking on the record? No one's going to explain that away.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastWonder View Post

And I agree with everyone, alumnae should be able to write recs and possible help out with recruitment, but in no way should they be directly involved in the membership process. When it comes to offering bids to members, that should be only for current chapter members to decide and alumnae should stay in their lane.]
With all due respect, do you know exactly what it means for the alumnae for each NPC group to stay in their lanes? I have no doubt that alums get out of hand from time to time, but I only know what the alumna lane is for Kappa.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'm pretty sure that most people see white football players as entertainers as well.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

No, I didn't, knight_shadow. I know exactly what she meant about some people thinking blacks can be useful but they don't want to associate with them. But I don't like generalizations at all.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

Saying "most people see white football players..." is also a generalization.

And you should prefer generalizations rather than unfounded assumptions and stereotypes that are falsely applied 100%.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I, personally, know of two wonderful girls who resigned their membership to their organization at the end of the school year last year. The reason they gave was the abject racism of the Greek system at Alabama. And yes, this is what they told their National organizations. The Nationals are aware of this problem at Alabama. In my very personal opinion, it will take collegians dropping in droves for the "biddies" to shut up. It would be hard for them to pay for those big old houses by themselves.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
In this situation, hearsay is by far the best kind of evidence that could exist. I can't imagine even the most hardened old bigot writing "Don't pledge the coloreds!" in a written document today.

An individual, using her name, saying "This is what went on during voting at our house" is far more conclusive evidence than 40 black girls rushing and all being cut. I mean, I know what conclusion I would draw from that sort of circumstantial evidence, but an eyewitness? Speaking on the record? No one's going to explain that away.
I'm not buying it. If it were as simple as "Karen said she observed this" then institutions would have changed their practices years ago. It always has and always will take more than that.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Saying "most people see white football players..." is also a generalization.

And you should prefer generalizations rather than unfounded assumptions and stereotypes that are falsely applied 100%.
No, a generalization would be "all people see white football players...". Or "all white Southern sorority members don't want black members".
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
With all due respect, do you know exactly what it means for the alumnae for each NPC group to stay in their lanes? I have no doubt that alums get out of hand from time to time, but I only know what the alumna lane is for Kappa.

I didn't mean it in a rude way, I just meant that it's not fair for alums to be making such big decisions for a chapter if they've already graduated and moved on. Of course they'll always be members and apart of their chapters, but I just don't think they should be making those decisions for a chapter.

But it's not just being directly involved in choosing members, i've heard of some alums threatening to pull their funding if they gave bids to so and so. But thats all hearsay, I don't know if its true. Just my 2 cents.
!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Jezebel has picked it up.

http://jezebel.com/university-of-ala...ack-1294674764
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
No, a generalization would be "all people see white football players...". Or "all white Southern sorority members don't want black members".
No, that is not what a generalization is. Generalizations are "in general" and based on overall trends. Generalizations are not definitive statements meant to apply 100%. Therefore "all" is not used because there are implied exceptions when using generalizations. "Most" and "they" are used because people are speaking on the general trend.

The fact that you do not know what a generalization is explains a lot about why you sometimes respond as you do to certain topics and particularly topics of race and ethnic identity.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

And people are generalizing their butts off in this thread, no matter how you define generalizing.

ETA: this definition comes from Vocabulary.com and fits in with what I've always known the term to mean--i.e., "all" so and sos do this or don't do this.

"A generalization is taking one or a few facts and making a broader, more universal statement. If all the girls you know play with dolls, you might make the generalization that all girls play with dolls. Scientists try to make generalizations based on research — the more data they have, the more accurate the generalization. Generalizations can be similar to stereotypes in that they are sometimes wrong and harmful. Usually, it's best to stick with specifics and avoid generalizations."

But Phil, you know little about me--other than I am mixed and I have non-white children--and you'd best keep your opinions to yourself so not as to have Greekchatters who know me in person sneering at you again.

Last edited by carnation; 09-11-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

There is no such thing as "no matter how you define generalizing." Some things in this thread should be generalized. Other things should be specific. You all can govern yourselves accordingly.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, according to Jezebel, the first and only black woman to get a bid at Bama rushed in 2003 and got a bid from GPhi after they were threatened by that group called the Machine to give a black girl a bid?

I'm confused....
!
Closed Thread