GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 937
1 members and 936 guests
Titchou

Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Phi Mu Hand Symbol

A new big thing at our school is sorority hand symbols. Each sorority has one, and it usually includes the greek letters in it. It is very difficult to find a hand symbol for phi mu that doesn't look vulgar.

Here is one that our Phis last fall (2006) came up with on bid day. We have since nixed it since it might seem vulgar, but i thought it was cute.

This is one that someone found on a website from a Florida university. It is a quatrefoil! I love it! It takes 2 people, but it is precious!

Are there any other Phi Mu hand symbols out there???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
There is one that you can do by yourself or with two people. we learned it from UF girls at state day '06, however it's kinda complicated to do unless your fingers are esily flexible and learn quick! You use your middle and pointer finger to make a diamond (skin side facing out) then you fold your ring fingers up to make the bottom curves and fold your thumbs down to make the top curves. It does look like a quatrefoil if you do it right....

You can also do it skin side in...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks! it took me a little while to figure it out, but that is really neat!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

tarleton bid class

what we did for a hand sign
make a hand like you were saying ok...where your ring and middle and pinky are free and your pointer and thumb are connected...then extend the thumb a little and the pointer should go to the middle of the thumb..
done correctly it looks like a p and a m
HOMECOMING QUEEN*MAY QUEEN*TTS
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TNPhiMu
Here's one for you! It takes a min. of 4 people, but it's pretty fun!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
There is one that you can do by yourself or with two people. we learned it from UF girls at state day '06, however it's kinda complicated to do unless your fingers are esily flexible and learn quick! You use your middle and pointer finger to make a diamond (skin side facing out) then you fold your ring fingers up to make the bottom curves and fold your thumbs down to make the top curves. It does look like a quatrefoil if you do it right....

You can also do it skin side in...
I got it right way....what fun!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww! Thanks! I'm glad it's not too hard as I thought it was. It took me a while to get it. But I'll say that I don't like hand signs and don't do them often. People have a tendency to do them in bars & at parties and stuff. That's not cute. And then I see them all over facebook and stuff. The only place I think it looks cute is for example a cute sisterhood-y pic for a website (like the one above in TNPhiMu's post) or a slideshow for chapter development, recruitment-related, or something like that. Otherwise it looks (at least to me) weird.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You could do what we do. With one hand make the Phi. using a straight pointer finger and curved thumb and middle finger to make the outside circle. Then make an M with the other hand using three fingers.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE this one! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiMu_Gator
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNProud07 View Post
You could do what we do. With one hand make the Phi. using a straight pointer finger and curved thumb and middle finger to make the outside circle. Then make an M with the other hand using three fingers.
wow! I love it! it's difficult to make phi mu with your hands and at my college everyone has cute symbols! here are a few we do at UF!

I'm the girl in the middle doing the "UF" hand symbol and the other two girls are making the two person traditional quat, they're from FSU and I met them randomly at Gasparilla! small world =)

LIOB
Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

haha that's really cute!

say, what are they Phi Mus like at UF? I might go there for Graduate School!

Phi Mu. The original Pink Ladies!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiMu_Gator
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiMuForever View Post
haha that's really cute!

say, what are they Phi Mus like at UF? I might go there for Graduate School!

Phi Mu. The original Pink Ladies!
we have become so strong! we got back onto campus either in the 80's or 90's and now we're gaining a lot of speed! each pledge class is getting better and better and our girls are super active on campus. having active alumna would be so nice! we have the orlando area who supports us a lot and many girls go onto grad school at uf from our chapter, but we'd definitely welcome you with open arms & hearts. also, from an academic point of view, grad school at uf looks great on transcripts
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu Love

The other sororities on our campus have hand signs but our chapter has never really had one. About a year ago we started doing the "I love you" sign language sign as our symbol to represent "Phi Mu Love". It caught on really fast! Everyone on campus now recognizes it as "Phi Mu Love". We like using it as our sign because it cannot be perceived in a negative way whereas other signs could be.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfidelfan View Post
The other sororities on our campus have hand signs but our chapter has never really had one. About a year ago we started doing the "I love you" sign language sign as our symbol to represent "Phi Mu Love". It caught on really fast! Everyone on campus now recognizes it as "Phi Mu Love". We like using it as our sign because it cannot be perceived in a negative way whereas other signs could be.
It also sounds A LOT easier to do quickly when you pass another sister on campus. I never could get the quatrefoil hand symbol to look very recognizable.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I have really grown to dislike the other one. It feels like I'm trying to do something that's impossible! And the really cute one requires two people! Perhaps someone can invent an easy "hand lion"? LOL. Or maybe a one person star?