GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,276
1 members and 2,275 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You wouldn't want someone who is NOT even a member of your GLO to stop their car and say hello when you're jogging with your dog? Where's your weird borderline stalker GLO spirit?
Please. I wouldn't even stop for frat, much less Greek Gretchen from XYZ Sorority lol.

I will only acknowledge another Greek if I'm wearing letters at the time, but I will not pull over and chase after someone to tell him/her that I'm in a GLO. I'm a tall, black man. Wouldn't go over well

Quote:
There's so much that's funny about this thread. So much. It's good that the OP has thick skin. I know what the dos and don'ts of MY symbols are but would never pretend to know or even care what other GLOs should be doing in their letters. Organizational bonds (in real life or just GC-related) don't mean that people have a real insight on the other organization(s).
Pretty much.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
We were told *TO* wear our letters to the gym (good PR).

Since one of our four Aims is Physical Development (along with Social/Spiritual/Academic Development - it seems wrong to just leave that out there by itself...we're not going through pueberty), it seems fitting to wear letters to work out.
Same here. I'm supposed to "develop and prize health and vigor of body", so we think it's a good thing to see letters at the gym. I wouldn't work out in a jersey because they're thick, but I in fact just got back from the gym and I'm wearing a mixer shirt with my letters.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Let me get a clarification here. By "jersey" do you mean a sewn-on lettered t-shirt, or a football/hockey-type jersey with your crest/COA on it? (Not that it matters, but people use the word interchangeably.)

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok stopping the car is creepy, but if we passed on the bike trail I'd say something, but then I say hi to most people I pass on the bike trail.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
We were told *TO* wear our letters to the gym (good PR).
Exactly. My Greek cheerleaders wear letter/event shirts to practice all the time. It ends up being quite the recruiting tactic!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

We were always told to wear our letters to the gym, but NOT to wear our current recruitment shirts (with deferred recruitment, in the Fall we would get a shirt that we would all wear on the same day) because we had to wear them every week and they'd get too gross too quickly if you used them to work out in. But letters in general were encouraged. My campus doesn't do the whole "jersey" thing, so I have no opinions on that.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM

I would think a jersey would be gross to jog in because 1) they're heavier than other t-shirts to begin with and then 2) you layer the fabric letters on top of it. Massive boob sweat potential.

But other than that, I don't see a thing wrong with it.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieadpi_01 View Post
However if I am in the right let me know, and I will set her straight on the "Macon Magnolia" workout path. LOL!
As others have said, this is definitely in MYOB territory.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Ok stopping the car is creepy, but if we passed on the bike trail I'd say something, but then I say hi to most people I pass on the bike trail.
I don't mean you should stop your car. I like your idea of saying hello to anyone on a bike path, walking, whatever. I wouldn't just stop my car and be like, "Hey you-hey there...I'm an XYZ and I see you are an ABC...let's be friends!"

KS...come on now, you are a tall black man and that may seem intimidating but, I'm a short woman. For some reason, I think being a shorter female may not make me half as intimidating as a tall man. I'd say hello to you, though. I would hope others would do the same to me.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
3. Macon Magnolia is a Greekchat thing. Unless she's a member, she won't know what you're talking about.
Actually, while checking out something else I realized that both the Wiki pages on both ADPi and Phi Mu include a reference to it. The introductory paragraph of each concludes with this sentence (as approropriate to the article): " Alpha Delta Pi/Phi Mu is one of the two 'Macon Magnolias,' a term used to celebrate the bonds it shares with Phi Mu/Alpha Delta Pi." The references seem to have been added by "PhimuNH" on December 7, 2008. She also added a reference to "Macon Magnolias" in the Wiki's article on "Fraternities and Sororities."

That prompted me to google the term, which turned up some other references.

I was surprised. I assume there's no official recognition of the term by either group?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Anyone can go on wikj and put something in there. The term was made up on here and probably carried over elsewhere.

KLTC
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
Anyone can go on wikj and put something in there.
Obviously. That's why I noted that it was added to those websites in December 2008. There have been over 100 edits each to the ADPi page and to the Phi Mu page since -- I was surprised no one had removed the references in all that time. I know we have some people who moniter our Wiki page and clean up anything like that that someone might add.

Unless the term has some official or imformal standing with the two orgs, which has pretty much been a GC thing, I would have expected someone to edit out the "Magnolia Macon" references a long time ago.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay... I'm bored at work and thought I'd weigh in on this old post because I really want the day to be over haha

Toward the end of my time as a collegiate, my Phi Mu chapter had some... image issues... so we would ask our girls not to wear anything Phi Mu related while you were wearing sweatpants or weren't very presentable. The campus rec center was one place where that rule was lifted slightly because it's appropraite to look a little messy when you're working out, it's less appropraite to wear sweatpants and look like you just rolled out of bed to go to class. But if you were going right from spin class to real classes and wanted to wear something Phi Mu... Needless to say it got complicated but the "no sweatpants and letters" rule was a rule.

Obviously as an Alumna I wear whatever I want whenever I want including wearing my letters to the gym, a nice way to meet other Phi Mu's. Now if Phi Mu called me up and said "please don't do that" I wouldn't. But there is no rule saying you can't wear your letters while you workout and yes, it's inapropraite and super nosey to say something otherwise to someone who isn't in your chapter. I say chapter instead of GLO because things like this are chapter specific.

My heart belongs to a True Gentleman.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Obviously. That's why I noted that it was added to those websites in December 2008. There have been over 100 edits each to the ADPi page and to the Phi Mu page since -- I was surprised no one had removed the references in all that time. I know we have some people who moniter our Wiki page and clean up anything like that that someone might add.

Unless the term has some official or imformal standing with the two orgs, which has pretty much been a GC thing, I would have expected someone to edit out the "Magnolia Macon" references a long time ago.
Google the term "Macon Magnolia" and you'll find it in like 15 different places refrencing Phi Mu and ADPi, universities who have both chapters use it, blogs use it, obviously wikipedia uses it, a company that caters to sorority women traveling to Macon uses it in their advertising material. Although it doesn't have any "official" stamp of approval from either national organization I've heard national officers use it while representing their respective chapters in official capacities. It's not just a GC thing.

My heart belongs to a True Gentleman.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninah View Post
Google the term "Macon Magnolia" and you'll find it in like 15 different places refrencing Phi Mu and ADPi, universities who have both chapters use it, blogs use it, obviously wikipedia uses it, a company that caters to sorority women traveling to Macon uses it in their advertising material. Although it doesn't have any "official" stamp of approval from either national organization I've heard national officers use it while representing their respective chapters in official capacities. It's not just a GC thing.
This is a pretty old thread. Just saying. (And there are national officers on here)

KLTC