GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,290
1 members and 2,289 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Recruitment changes

I was wondering if anyone else's chapter is going through this. Our formal rush isn't until January. However, the campus is completely changing rush and I am worried. First of all, this Fall is the first year that sororities will have houses, so we are all getting them at the same time (which is completely different from rush on dorm halls). Secondly, Panhellenic is moving to this "no frills" thing to where we don't do skits or anything like that anymore and focus more on the leadership and sisterhood aspects. Also, the girls will probably be able to pick where they wanted to go without necessariy being invited back. So basically, if they have one place in mind, they will only go there the whole week if they want. So, does anyone have suggestions on how to make a great impact during this type of recruitment? Our campus ceiling is 55 and formal rush is when we get our best girls...it is crucial. Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by AXO Alum; 04-15-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2004, 10:53 AM

The thing where girls can go back to wherever they want is called Continuous Open Bidding (COB). There's usually no schedule of parties coordinated through Panhel.

The "no-frills" deals specifically with Formal Rush and is something totally different. It doesn't affect what you do in COB.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Rush changes

Quote:
Originally posted by carebearwcu
I was wondering if anyone else's chapter is going through this. Our formal rush isn't until January. However, the campus is completely changing rush and I am worried. First of all, this Fall is the first year that sororities will have houses, so we are all getting them at the same time (which is completely different from rush on dorm halls). Secondly, Panhellenic is moving to this "no frills" thing to where we don't do skits or anything like that anymore and focus more on the leadership and sisterhood aspects. Also, the girls will probably be able to pick where they wanted to go without necessariy being invited back. So basically, if they have one place in mind, they will only go there the whole week if they want. So, does anyone have suggestions on how to make a great impact during this type of recruitment? Our campus ceiling is 55 and formal rush is when we get our best girls...it is crutial. Thanks for any suggestions!
Do you mean Panhel. is making these changes for formal rush in January? Can you give a little more details, please? It sounds like you're saying that they're trying to make formal recruitment more like COBs.

From what I understand you're saying is that Suzie PNM signs up for formal rush in January. Out of 5 sororities, she knows she only likes 2, so she only goes to those 2 groups during formal recruitment.

That doesn't sound right to me...she's shooting herself in the foot because what if those 2 groups drop her? Is she then excluded from the other 3 groups because she didn't go to their parties?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The thing where girls can go back to wherever they want is called Continuous Open Bidding (COB). There's usually no schedule of parties coordinated through Panhel.

The "no-frills" deals specifically with Formal Rush and is something totally different. It doesn't affect what you do in COB.

I don't think I said it very clear. We do COBs at our school, I know what they are and its not what I was talking about. This is strickly talking about Formal Rush. Panhel is changing to No frills, as in no more skits and stuff.

Now, along with the no-frills, PNM Suzy has to go to all the Rush Parties for the first night. Then, after that, Panhellenic is trying to say just let them go wherever to any party they want. Which I agree, is going to be like shooting herself in the foot. Our greek advisor is a moron to say the least, this is all his idea.

So, PNM Suzy will go to all the events night #1, but she has already had tri-alpha in her mind. So, the second night and the rest of the week she can just go to tri-alpha only if thats what she wants. Its hard to explain, but this really SUCKS!
Old 04-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Now, along with the no-frills, PNM Suzy has to go to all the Rush Parties for the first night. Then, after that, Panhellenic is trying to say just let them go wherever to any party they want. Which I agree, is going to be like shooting herself in the foot. Our greek advisor is a moron to say the least, this is all his idea.

So, PNM Suzy will go to all the events night #1, but she has already had tri-alpha in her mind. So, the second night and the rest of the week she can just go to tri-alpha only if thats what she wants. Its hard to explain, but this really SUCKS!
That goes against NPC's mutual selection processes as they are to be used in formal rush, especially if the right of the sororities to cut rushees is being taken away. I would go to npcwomen.org and get in touch with the NPC director for your region and/or notify your national HQ because this is not kosher.

p.s. It makes sense now that I read your Greek advisor is a he. He's trying to make this like fraternity rush. Boys don't get it.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Umm...what happened to LC? I thought she was Greek advisor? Who is this "he"?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

His name is Ryan, he's been the advisor for a good 2 years now. He's a Fiji...
Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

That's interesting...I didn't realize LC wasn't there anymore.

That would explain a lot of the changes that were made since I left!

Anyways, yeah, what 33-Girl said. Contact your NPC Area Advisor (link). What does your chapter advisor have to say about all of this? Has she tried to contact Ryan and beat some sense into him? I'm sure that not all the other sororities at WCU are too pleased about that either.

ETA: Congratulations on the new Greek Village!

Last edited by WCUgirl; 04-15-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

From HQ

This is an email that was sent to us from HQ regarding the changes -- these are in fact resolutions that NPC is implementing for the next two years. If you have questions about it, carebear, then contact Kristin (CC) or Elizabeth (Regional Coordinator) for your area. If you need either of those numbers, PM me.

From HQ:

Dear Chapter Presidents, Chapter Advisors, and
volunteer officers:

Thank you for your efforts this year to maintain a
positive and productive Alpha Chi Omega experience. To
keep you informed, we wanted to provide some
information that you may begin hearing about on your
campus with respect to recruitment processes.

The National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) has been
studying recruitment processes on college campuses for
several years. In October, 2003 the NPC voted to
implement 12 resolutions that address several
recruitment topics and the possible redesign of the
recruitment process to fit campus situations. The
outcomes for redesigning recruitment on any campus
should include: Parity, Growth, Marketing, and
Partnership (with administrators, NPC area advisors
and local chapters).

These resolutions impact the following topics:

* Marketing Plan for Recruitment
* Recruitment Handbook for College Panhellenic Associations
* NPC Committee to monitor trends and develop recruitment strategies
*Menu of four recruitment styles for college
panhellenics:

- Continuous open recruitment;

- Minimally structured recruitment;

- Partially structured recruitment;

- Fully structured recruitment;

* "No Frills" Concept
* Positive Panhellenic Contact to be Used at all Times
* Annual review of total and options in determining total
* Elimination of quota setting methods I and II
* Quota Range
* Alternate methods for calculating release figures
* Limited Application of Bid Matching

The resolutions will go into effect over the next two
years. Several campuses are implementing some of the
options contained in the resolutions with the upcoming
recruitment period. As recruitment preparation begins,
do not be surprised to hear about these topics. Alpha
Chi Omega will provide more education to you as the
summer progresses. On more than 20 pilot campuses
using the new release figures management program,
systems are seeing results. If you have any questions
or concerns, please contact a staff member or member
of Alpha Chi Omega's NPC delegation. We look forward
to working with you!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

BTW - I changed "Rush" to "Recruitment" for the title of this thread -- trying to keep up with NPC and all
Old 04-15-2004, 03:18 PM

But are the women allowed to go back to parties where they haven't been invited???? If so, that is G to the H to the E to the Y.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The letter posted explains what I am talking about. There are 4 types of recruitment and we are actually voting on which one to change to and between the 4 chapters that are left it is a tie and if the votes are a tie again this week, they are going to go with the one that we (AXO) DONT want! Its confusing, but yeah, it SUCKS!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Its even worse at my school (at least when I was an active, it might have changed now)- during Fall rush, PMN can go to ANY house they want without visiting the others. they can solely go to Tri-Alpha without looking at a single other house. it sucks because Freshman arent allowed to pledge, and Sophs and higher know stereotypes, be it accurate or not. They can go to any house for two nights, and then the last two nights are invite only (some houses have only one invite night, trying to get leftover girls who weren't invited to the other houses)

at least during formal Spring rush, everyone has to go to all the houses. unfortunately, COB is huge in the Spring (all chapters COB) and quota is small, but pledge class sizes always exceed quota. (ex- we got quota this semester, which was set at 13, however, i think we are initiating 22 or 23, having got the other women through COB before and after Formal).