GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,617
0 members and 1,617 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2002, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

That article was too funny!

Volgirl, I think that his competive nature is one of the main reasons, he will/would make a good nfl coach. I know that nfl players are payed and they make not take the game as seroius as college players...but everyone likes to win. And everyone likes a winner. And Spurrier's a winner!

Now, his tantrums will definately not make it in the nfl. Then again, you neva know.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2002, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mz. Sports Luva
That article was too funny!

Volgirl, I think that his competive nature is one of the main reasons, he will/would make a good nfl coach. I know that nfl players are payed and they make not take the game as seroius as college players...but everyone likes to win. And everyone likes a winner. And Spurrier's a winner!

Now, his tantrums will definately not make it in the nfl. Then again, you neva know.
Actually, his tantrums might not end up being that big of a deal in the NFL. When you look at coaches like Jim Mora and Mike Ditka, they definitely had their moments - however, they've been able to find jobs and last a few years coaching in the league.

All different styles can work - if you can win and control your players, you'll always be able to find a job.

Collin
Old 01-07-2002, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
When you look at coaches like Jim Mora and Mike Ditka, they definitely had their moments - however, they've been able to find jobs and last a few years coaching in the league.
You are exactly right. These are the two I was thinking of...
Old 01-07-2002, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I still disagree - I dont think the NFL is looking for a shakeup in their comfortable ways. Imagine if you were a ball player making millions of dollars. You played, but not the hardest you can play...just hard enough to win and do your job. Then comes in a new coach who jumps up and down like a baby and really burns your ass when you do something wrong. He yells at you, he forces you to play -hard enough to get hurt. How would you feel?
I dont think you would be running to embrace him.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Also, Spurrier is used to having the best athletes in the country at UF, albeit young ones. Because of salary caps, the NFL teams aren't always made up of the best 50-or-so men.

But Spurrier really put stuff into play. For instance, I heard he could go to Carolina or Washington. Carolina's open -- they wacked Seifert this morning. More later, after I get back from a meeting.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by volgirl2376
I still disagree - I dont think the NFL is looking for a shakeup in their comfortable ways. Imagine if you were a ball player making millions of dollars. You played, but not the hardest you can play...just hard enough to win and do your job. Then comes in a new coach who jumps up and down like a baby and really burns your ass when you do something wrong. He yells at you, he forces you to play -hard enough to get hurt. How would you feel?
I dont think you would be running to embrace him.
I think that's going to depend a lot on which players you're talking about - and for a large part, I'd disagree. Granted, if you're talking about someone like Randy Moss, then yes, they'd balk at having someone down their throat 24/7. However...a lot of these guys go through a lot already. You're talking about a sport where, going in, these guys know that because of playing in the NFL, they may not be able to walk correctly/wake up in the morning without pain for the rest of their lives. There are some pretty hard-core guys in the league who already play through intense pain (hence the pain-killer addictions that become public every so often). For every Moss, there's a guy like Brett Favre, Curtis Martin, Brian Urlacher, and tons of others who play their hearts out every week. Yes, the antics may wear a little on the players - however, as long as Spurrier doesn't take those antics public (as in, criticize players in front of the press, etc.), I don't think there will be a major problem. Many, if not most of these guys would give their right leg for a championship anyways.

Collin
Old 01-14-2002, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

The Washington Redskins

It's official. Spurrier to coach the Redskins.

Unbelievable.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Dang!!!!! I was hoping the Falcons would fire Dan Reeves and hire him. Oh well....
Old 01-14-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, Snyder was trying to hire Spurrier the last time the Redskins had a vacancy. It'll be interesting to see how he and Snyder co-exist. Two very strong personalities, it could go either way.

I think the more interesting thing is that Bill Parcells is getting back into coaching (reportedly taking over for Tony Dungy when he's fired). It will be interesting to see what he does with Warren Sapp and the quarterback situation.

Collin
Old 01-14-2002, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Shottenheimer got fired today so it looks like Spurrier will be the new head coach of the skins. I'll be interested to see how that works out too with both Snyder and Spurrier being head strong. It looks like one or the other is going to have to comprise a little.
Synder needs to find a good General Manager too.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think the more interesting thing is that Bill Parcells is getting back into coaching (reportedly taking over for Tony Dungy when he's fired). It will be interesting to see what he does with Warren Sapp and the quarterback situation.

Collin
Now that Tuna Parcells isn't coming to Tampa, who may be the leading candidate?
Old 01-21-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure who will end up in Tampa Bay - the Tuna turn-down had to be a jolt to their systems.

There's talk that they may go after Jon Gruden - who knows how long he'll stay with the Raiders. Besides that, not sure who they could get.

I heard an interesting thought on espn.com - perhaps one of the reasons they were so quick on the trigger with Tony Dungy was the thought that they would get Parcells. If they knew that they couldn't get him, I wonder how much more of a shot Dungy would have had.

What Tampa Bay really needs is to get rid of Brad Johnson as QB. I'd give Shaun King another shot - he's a solid QB who doesn't make mistakes.

Collin
Old 01-22-2002, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not sure who will end up in Tampa Bay - the Tuna turn-down had to be a jolt to their systems.

There's talk that they may go after Jon Gruden - who knows how long he'll stay with the Raiders. Besides that, not sure who they could get.
Collin
This morning, there's heavy talk about "Chucky" (Jon Gruden) on sports radio possibly going to Tampa. Seems that Gruden's folx live in Tampa and his agent has flat said Gruden isn't returning to the Raiders after his contract runs out.

Alice Davis is an embarrassment. He has this bright young coach and doesn't know how to treat him. This reminds me of Mike Shanahan a few years ago.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Dungy is going to Indy. Maybe Peyton can get along better with him...