GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 933
0 members and 933 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Reaching out and going to events

Hello! I have a question. I'm told that if you don't know people from the sorority you want to join reach out to them, go to their events etc. The problem I'm having is that SOME of the girls ignore you, not giving any conversation and turning their nose up. Other act like they're cool at the event, then I speak to them on campus and they act like I'm a stranger.. I'm beginning to think that these girls are not interested in nothing except getting $$$ from. Aspirants etc. PLEASE CORRECT ME If I'M WRONG!! Not all sorority girls, but a lot get into these sororities and treat others like they wasn't in my position before.. They totally change for the worst... I will not let these things discourage me from my goal of joining XYZ��. Have anyone else gone through this experience?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
Hello! I have a question. I'm told that if you don't know people from the sorority you want to join reach out to them, go to their events etc. The problem I'm having is that SOME of the girls ignore you, not giving any conversation and turning their nose up. Other act like they're cool at the event, then I speak to them on campus and they act like I'm a stranger.. I'm beginning to think that these girls are not interested in nothing except getting $$$ from. Aspirants etc. PLEASE CORRECT ME If I'M WRONG!! Not all sorority girls, but a lot get into these sororities and treat others like they wasn't in my position before.. They totally change for the worst... I will not let these things discourage me from my goal of joining XYZ��. Have anyone else gone through this experience?
QFP

@~/~~~~
Old 07-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Are you looking to join a NPHC/Multicultural or NPC organization?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 PM

I suspect the former. NPC doesn't typically use the term "aspirants", and we encourage PNMs (particularly those going through formal recruitment where more than one NPC chapter is present) to keep their options open rather than fixate on joining one particular sorority.

A side note from NPC-land: There are typically silence rules in place during formal recruitment. At my school, for example, affiliated sorority members could talk to PNMs only during parties, and could not say one syllable to PNMs outside parties except to explain that they weren't allowed to talk to them. Recruitment counselors explained this to PNMs before the start of FR, but even so, I can easily see where "Hi, sorry, I'm not allowed to talk to you right now" could come across as rude.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I suspect the former. NPC doesn't typically use the term "aspirants", and we encourage PNMs (particularly those going through formal recruitment where more than one NPC chapter is present) to keep their options open rather than fixate on joining one particular sorority.

A side note from NPC-land: There are typically silence rules in place during formal recruitment. At my school, for example, affiliated sorority members could talk to PNMs only during parties, and could not say one syllable to PNMs outside parties except to explain that they weren't allowed to talk to them. Recruitment counselors explained this to PNMs before the start of FR, but even so, I can easily see where "Hi, sorry, I'm not allowed to talk to you right now" could come across as rude.
I happen to know this hence my asking.