GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,531
2 members and 2,529 guests
EmilOrtiz4

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

ProBlack, doing a keyword search for "colorism" on the search engine turns up pages of threads on this topic. Skim through those old threads because we're tired of discussing such matters.

It actually is sad that someone who just did a senior thesis can't figure out the answer to this question himself. Stereotypes exist because some people fit the stereotype and the stereotype represents some kind of ideal and ranking system. Apply that to all of your questions.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBlack View Post
I recently wrote my senior thesis paper on the history of colorism, the media and black women which discussed matters from the mid 1800's until now. I found out that Howard Univerity had a history of colorism and required photographs to be submitted with applications. Also as people felt lighter skinned/mulatto people were more intelligent because they were closer to being white they were usually the ones sponsored for education. So if this is the case, then where did the sterotype that Deltas are supposed to be dark skinned and AKAs are supposed to be light skinned if the Delta founders were once AKAs and Howard accepted majority lighter skinned people?
You have a whole lot of research to do if you don't know how such stereotypes came to be. This topic is a whole lot broader than you are obviously trying to research (even though you claim to have written a thesis on it). I'm sure you know that this issue is less about Black Greek Organizations and more about Colorism in the Black Community back then and really about people of color all over the world, even now. No need to make anything unique to specific organizations. If you really want the answers and are not just trying to start drama, do the research.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Me too, sometimes. I think subconsciously I am really thinking about who could pass and who couldn't, based on features in addition to skin color.
Speaking of passing, I'm still waiting for Bob Barr to admit he's Black.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Speaking of passing, I'm still waiting for Bob Barr to admit he's Black.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
I have been waiting for that for years. lol. I posted about it on BP, when BP was still relevent. You do the math.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

Bob Barr looks like some of the men in my family. That's neither here nor there, though.

Race is a human invention and I'm more humored over what "being Black" means outside of America than over the Blacks who are passing in America. Either way, the websites that are insisting Barr publicly identifies with a race is similar (not the same as) insisting on forcing people "out of the closet" regarding sexual orientation. If people are nonwhite and know it, they may be hiding it for a reason...oh well...let them do their thing. Just don't expect us to come to your aid when you are found to have a double life that included multiple mistresses, none of whom are Caucablasian.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Bob Barr looks like some of the men in my family. That's neither here nor there, though.

Race is a human invention and I'm more humored over what "being Black" means outside of America than over the Blacks who are passing in America. Either way, the websites that are insisting Barr publicly identifies with a race is similar (not the same as) insisting on forcing people "out of the closet" regarding sexual orientation. If people are nonwhite and know it, they may be hiding it for a reason...oh well...let them do their thing. Just don't expect us to come to your aid when you are found to have a double life that included multiple mistresses, none of whom are Caucablasian.
On that note. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6XjXIKRyw
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

I'm kinda mad at David Arnold but I laughed out loud a couple of times.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...Once again...I did..and didnt find anything. If you see something I missed then please, be all means, feel free to post a link.
Why would you go into a chatroom to get information regarding your thesis? Maybe you should just stick to founding your own club, "Zeus", and stay away from writing a thesis if you are going to go on GC for information regarding your topic.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

You all are being so nice. I think that this is her coy and sly way of asking about membership info.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

When Anatole Broyard was exposed by Henry Louis Gates after his death (although his racial background had been discussed well before that), I didn't understand how because he looks just like my dad.

Funny that, racial identity thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
You all are being so nice. I think that this is her coy and sly way of asking about membership info.
I don't know why, but this cracked me up.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

So just because curious minds would like to know, what were some of the conclusions of this thesis?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Race is not just a human construct, it is distinctly a political one. Just witness the foolishness over Harry Reid's remarks that have just been made public in this book.

Being inherently political, race means one thing in one society and can mean something different or even totally opposite in another. I guarantee you that the same person would be classified differently and receive different treatment with the same credentials in countries such as the US, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Australia and Japan.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I recently wrote my senior thesis paper on the history of colorism, the media and black women which discussed matters from the mid 1800's until now. I found out that Howard Univerity had a history of colorism and required photographs to be submitted with applications. Also as people felt lighter skinned/mulatto people were more intelligent because they were closer to being white they were usually the ones sponsored for education. So if this is the case, then where did the sterotype that Deltas are supposed to be dark skinned and AKAs are supposed to be light skinned if the Delta founders were once AKAs and Howard accepted majority lighter skinned people?

white people.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
Race is not just a human construct, it is distinctly a political one. Just witness the foolishness over Harry Reid's remarks that have just been made public in this book.

Being inherently political, race means one thing in one society and can mean something different or even totally opposite in another. I guarantee you that the same person would be classified differently and receive different treatment with the same credentials in countries such as the US, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Australia and Japan.
Yes, "political" means that race is socially constructed (a human construct) to shape human interaction and hierarchical arrangements.