GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,326
2 members and 1,324 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry that you feel like something's missing and that all of this is still bothering you years later. There is probably absolutely no explanation for why you were released. It's all statistics...numbers generated by computers. Maybe it was a mistake or glitch....I've seen several posts on here where bid match lists have been wrong and girls have gotten bids to the wrong house. It happens. I'm not sure what sororities you have friends in, but if you truly regret not joining a chapter, there is always alumnae initiation. Not all groups have it. Mine does and some of the strongest sorority women I know were initiated as alumnae....usually because their mom, daughter, cousin, best friend, etc...is a member and they want to experience it. Alumnae involvement is very different than collegiate involvement....more lunches, less songs, no recruitment really. I am currently President of my local alumnae chapter and I love it. Anyway, it might be an option for you.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Sororities aren't magic. They provide a little more structure and ritual for friendships, but they don't change the nature of true friendships.

Agree with this and many other comments in this thread. There's a lot to like about sorority life, but I think a lot of people who didn't rush or never got a bid tend to over-idealize the idea of belonging to a GLO. Even the really good Greek experiences come with warts...hard work, personality conflicts, whatever. It's just part of group life.

If you join ANY group that brings you friendship, fun, purpose, and growth, I'd say it's a successful experience. You can find all of this outside the Greek system and even beyond college.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I don't feel that single sex orgs are "in a rut" and I don't think I am alone, otherwise there would not be tens of thousands of new members in NPC sororities every year.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Oh well. honeychile, is it you or AOIIAlum that had the conversation about "the road not taken" with me? Good Lort, my brain is foggy. And I'm really wordy today, so I think I need to step away from the keyboard. In closing, I hope you'll find some comfort in the responses you get here.
I'm guessing honeychile, but I'm sure over the years we've had similar conversations! I had so many "what ifs" during my undergraduate experience. Looking back with the benefit of years I know I ended up exactly where I should have been for the girl I was then and the woman I am today.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I don't feel that single sex orgs are "in a rut" and I don't think I am alone, otherwise there would not be tens of thousands of new members in NPC sororities every year.
Thank you.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
I'm so sorry that you feel like something's missing and that all of this is still bothering you years later. There is probably absolutely no explanation for why you were released. It's all statistics...numbers generated by computers. Maybe it was a mistake or glitch....I've seen several posts on here where bid match lists have been wrong and girls have gotten bids to the wrong house. It happens. I'm not sure what sororities you have friends in, but if you truly regret not joining a chapter, there is always alumnae initiation. Not all groups have it. Mine does and some of the strongest sorority women I know were initiated as alumnae....usually because their mom, daughter, cousin, best friend, etc...is a member and they want to experience it. Alumnae involvement is very different than collegiate involvement....more lunches, less songs, no recruitment really. I am currently President of my local alumnae chapter and I love it. Anyway, it might be an option for you.
I see computer glitch thrown around a few times a year.

I have worked with SelectASis/ICS/Campus Director extensively in several different volunteer roles at a regional and national level. Those lists are double and triple checked. The program literally cannot glitch and remove someone's name from a list. That is a myth. Especially in the last few years. This is not 2004-5 when ICS was new and we were just switching over from paper-based systems.

See also: your comment re: AI. Not always an options. Is it an option for some? Sure. An alumnae chapter of my sorority just initiated a class of sorts of AI women and they are amazing. But a lot of that depends on requirements, etc. so I am hesitant to throw out a blanket statement of "you can always initiate as an alumna.'

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
I'm not sure what sororities you have friends in, but if you truly regret not joining a chapter, there is always alumnae initiation.
No, there isn’t. Unless you want to sponsor her based on a couple posts on Greek Chat.

Purplemonkey - I feel like you’re looking for that perfect friendship that speaks to every facet of you and honestly, that’s rare if not nonexistent. I mean, I am (and always have been) friends with all kinds of people. I have friends I go to artsy fartsy movies with. I have friends I go to dive bars with. I have loud friends who I’m thankful for when I need yanked out of hermit mode. I have quiet friends who are just happy to hang out and watch tv. Sometimes those things overlap, but not always.

Like I said - maybe this school was and is perfect for you, but the Greek system, not so much. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of people on this board would probably not have been Greek had they gone to a different school. But obviously academics comes first, so that’s what you have to go on, not how well you would fit into the Greek system.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-02-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just like to provide encouragement

God bless you, and I am sorry that you had to experience that type of rejection because I know personally that it can greatly hurt.

You have such a bright future ahead of you and you are a very smart and thoughtful young lady who will succeed. I am happy to read that you do have close friendships which are most important.

I wish you the best as you navigate your senior year in college!